• Register
  • Help

Topic: Digital Performer 4.5 Mistery

Share/Bookmark

Digital Performer 4.5 Mystery

I am new to Digital Performer (I mainly use my GPO in Sibelius) and I have found something I can't explain:

I have downloaded the Beethoven's 5th Symphony DP project file by Brian Monroney from the GPO DP resource page, which sounds really good (great work Brian!). While playing the Symphony, the CPU meter (under DP's Audio Performance) is always under 50% (on my single G5 1.8GHz).

Just to practice with DP4.5, I saved Brian's project as a MIDI file. Then I opened a blank file in DP and imported the MIDI, and manually assigned the GPO instruments to each track (exactly the same instruments and the 4 GPO instances Brian originally used). Finally I played the file (sounded good also), but to my surprise now the CPU meter is much higher! (in some points it even reaches 100% and the sound interrupts briefly).

In both cases the Hardware options (Buffer size, Work priority, etc.) are the same, but it seems that I am missing something in my configuration, because the difference in CPU performance between both files are more than noticeable. Can anybody explain this mystery?

Re: Digital Performer 4.5 Mystery

Quote Originally Posted by quartet
    Just to practice with DP4.5, I saved Brian's project as a MIDI file. Then I opened a blank file in DP and imported the MIDI, and manually assigned the GPO instruments to each track (exactly the same instruments and the 4 GPO instances Brian originally used). Finally I played the file (sounded good also), but to my surprise now the CPU meter is much higher! (in some points it even reaches 100% and the sound interrupts briefly).
    My guess is that while the DP Beethoven file was created with the old version of GPO library, you are using the new upgraded instruments to re-create it from scratch. Unfortunately the new programming comes at a cost in CPU efficiency. Perhaps changing the polyphony on some instruments would allow you to play back the new version without glitches.

This is why I keep the old library around as well...you can just rename the old Dry instruments folder and keep it in your GPO Library folder ("eco" was name suggested by another forum user), and if you don't need the advanced features of the new instruments (aggressive instruments, new keyswitches, etc), you can load the old instruments and they will work fine alongside the new ones.

Brian

Re: Digital Performer 4.5 Mystery

I too run DP 4.5 on a MAC G4 dual 1ghz machine with 2 gb ram, and wanted to see just how few instruments the Mac would handle with GPO loaded on it since so many claim to only get a minimum amount. Normally, I only use GPO in a stand alone PC with the audio light-piped into a MOTU 828 MK II audio interface that is connected to the Mac. So, I loaded GPO into the Mac (not intending to waste my second license on IT). After loading GPO,
    I loaded the same Beethoven's 5th and it played all the instruments flawlessly. I was amazed, however I noticed that when I started my own project with only two instances of Kontakt player, it would handle that much, but if a timpani roll or a harp gliss came along, watch out. I also remember there being more than one part on a midi track which works, but in the end during mixing it does not allow as much flexibility.
    Just my 2 cent worth!
    DPDAN

Go Back to forum