• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to create MP3 files?

Share/Bookmark

How to create MP3 files?

I have a file that I can play back through GPO and it sounds wonderful. Now I'd like to make an mp3 file out of it. How do I do it?

I thought it would be easy: Ask GPO to create a .WAV file, then ask Microsoft's MP3 converter to turn it into an mp3 file. No dice.

First, when I use GPO to create a .WAV file, the file typically has a few seconds of dead air at the beginning, because I have to start recording and then initiate playback (or vice versa, in which case I risk losing something). But then when I do have the .WAV file, and I try to convert it to mp3 (using Microsoft's "Plus! Audio Converter"), it refuses, saying "Conversion failed" without giving a clue as to why.

Browsing on the web, I find that this MP3 converter isn't terribly good, failing to work with files created with a particular coding algorithm (I forget what).

So: What are other people using? Is there an inexpensive program out there that will convert WAV files to mp3? Preferably one that will also let me edit out the dead air at the beginning of the file.

Re: How to create MP3 files?

Cakewalk Pyro 2004 will convert wave files to MP3's. You can also burn audio CD's with it. It allows you to edit out silence, add fadeins, fade outs and crossfades. You can also apply VST effects. You can find it for under $40.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Koenig
    I have a file that I can play back through GPO and it sounds wonderful. Now I'd like to make an mp3 file out of it. How do I do it?

I thought it would be easy: Ask GPO to create a .WAV file, then ask Microsoft's MP3 converter to turn it into an mp3 file. No dice.

First, when I use GPO to create a .WAV file, the file typically has a few seconds of dead air at the beginning, because I have to start recording and then initiate playback (or vice versa, in which case I risk losing something). But then when I do have the .WAV file, and I try to convert it to mp3 (using Microsoft's "Plus! Audio Converter"), it refuses, saying "Conversion failed" without giving a clue as to why.

Browsing on the web, I find that this MP3 converter isn't terribly good, failing to work with files created with a particular coding algorithm (I forget what).

So: What are other people using? Is there an inexpensive program out there that will convert WAV files to mp3? Preferably one that will also let me edit out the dead air at the beginning of the file.

I have not tried it, but I think you can convert to mp3 using Windows Media player.

Other considerations: your sound card software may have a convereter. Mine does. Cakewalk Pyro has one. Some may require your wav file to be 44100 sample rate. There are quite a few free converters listed on the web.

Richard

I'm with Richard, I would assume the problem is the sample rate of the resulting wav file. Change the rate in Studio's option panel and see if that helps.

Note: Some audio cards prevent you from changing the sample rate in Studio without changing the sample rate of the card.

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    I have not tried it, but I think you can convert to mp3 using Windows Media player.

Other considerations: your sound card software may have a convereter. Mine does. Cakewalk Pyro has one. Some may require your wav file to be 44100 sample rate. There are quite a few free converters listed on the web.

Richard
    Windows Media Player seems to be able to convert audio files that it reads from a CD, but not files that have already been created by other means.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    I'm with Richard, I would assume the problem is the sample rate of the resulting wav file. Change the rate in Studio's option panel and see if that helps.

Note: Some audio cards prevent you from changing the sample rate in Studio without changing the sample rate of the card.
    It's already 44100, as far as I can tell. That's what I get when I right-click the file and select "properties", anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland

Richard
    Pyro appears to be available for $29 from the Cakewalk website. At that price, I'll give it a try...

Pyro appears to be available for $29 from the Cakewalk website. At that price, I'll give it a try...
    I use that mp3 encoder in Sonar 3, hey man mp3 is just a form of compression encoding audio. LIke Red book audio, real player, microsofts, actually mp3 is underneath mp4, mp4 has a way higher resolution(quicktime itunes etc.)then there is ogg and others.
    Best way to get an mp3 is to get it from the bounced mastered matieral, ie what is bounced to a professional audio cd at mix down/mastering.
    of course yea you can covert the wave to mp3 too. LIke someone said here, make sure your sample rate is the same in sequencer you are using for the mp3. obviously your going to be mixing at a higher bit rate then normal cd master. Best deal would be to have wave lab 5.0 or the new version of Sonic Foundery, of course there is Vegas Pro that everyone talks about too.
    and yea there are cheap programs on the web as well.

For the money, Pyro is awesome. I have used DX plugins very successfully with it, but have had problems using VST's (using the Cakewalk VST-DX wrapper). Some good noise reduction plugins and a limiter come with it, too. Nice graphical editing of tracks, works like CD Architect but at 1/10 the price. Good stuff cheap.

Jim

MusicMatch Jukebox, which came free with my Dell, can convert .wav files to several kinds of .mp3. Just click on "File / Convert Files". There's also a helpful explanation of the various options.
    Like Andrew, on the Windows Media Player I only see the option of ripping .wavs from CDs as mp3s, but not simply converting a file on your PC.

Go Back to forum