Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Oil-for-food 'scandal' Is A Cynical Smokescreen

Share/Bookmark

The Oil-for-food 'scandal' Is A Cynical Smokescreen

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    http://www.zmag.org/content/showarti...15&ItemID=6861

Quote Originally Posted by article
    The corruption evident in the oil-for-food programme was real, but did not originate from within the United Nations, as Norm Coleman and others are charging. Its origins are in a morally corrupt policy of economic strangulation of Iraq implemented by the United States as part of an overall strategy of regime change. Since 1991, the United States had made it clear - through successive statements by James Baker, George W Bush and Madeleine Albright - that economic sanctions, linked to Iraq's disarmament obligation, would never be lifted even if Iraq fully complied and disarmed, until Saddam Hussein was removed from power. This policy remained unchanged for over a decade, during which time hundreds of thousands of Iraqis died as a result of these sanctions.

Re: The Oil-for-food 'scandal' Is A Cynical Smokescreen

All together now:
    "America bad. Very very bad."

I find it most amusing to try and say it like Babu, the Pakistani restaurant-owner from "Seinfeld." (As portrayed by actor Brian George, born in Tel Aviv of all places.)

Quote Originally Posted by XanaX
    All together now:
    "America bad. Very very bad."
    GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD. NOBODY HERE IS SAYING AMERICA IS BAD. WE'RE MERELY SAYING THOSE IN CHARGE OF OUR BANKRUPT FOREIGN POLICY ARE BAD.

IT'S A VERY DIFFERENT THING.

Quote Originally Posted by robgb
    GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD. NOBODY HERE IS SAYING AMERICA IS BAD. WE'RE MERELY SAYING THOSE IN CHARGE OF OUR BANKRUPT FOREIGN POLICY ARE BAD.

IT'S A VERY DIFFERENT THING.
    WHY ARE YOU SCREAMING?

If it actually were "a very different thing," then it wouldn't be necessary to reiterate it and regurgitate it
    every
    single
    damn
    day...

...unless y'all just get off on whining---because I think we can agree that the OT section at NS is not exactly an effective vehicle for change, nor a place where influential policy-makers come to exchange ideas.

("Well, gee, I voted, and the Repugs stole the election, so this is all I've got left really...")...

Oh yeah, and let's not forget Scott Ritter is paid to have his opinions.

I find it incredibly amusing that people are now trying to make the oil-for-food scandal the fault of the US. Seriously, this only makes you guys look bad.

The oil-for-food thing IS a big scandal. I mean come on... EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN'T EAT OIL. Geez..
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

NOBODY HERE IS SAYING AMERICA IS BAD. WE'RE MERELY SAYING THOSE IN CHARGE OF OUR BANKRUPT FOREIGN POLICY ARE BAD.
    Except that all but 3 million voters ensured that it would continue at an accelerated pace. What does that say?

It's easy to make fun of we "leftists" (which I for one am not, I'm liberal) who object to what our government does, call them unpatriotic, whiners, why don't we just leave if we don't like our great country, etc. That means nothing. It's absolutely true that we have an unabashedly imperialistic government.

So yes, we do suck. America *is* bad, despite the fact that there are a lot of great people here who do great things.

uhmm is this thread been hi jacked?

The topics that generate the most discussion and debate centre on America, if people found the focus boring the threads would die very quickly, like my Rwanda post. Brady where is that article wrong?

Which article? The one in this thread or the Rwandan article?

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Wright
    Which article? The one in this thread or the Rwandan article?

The article on the Scandal in this thread.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast