• Register
  • Help

Topic: Experts look here! System requirements & Gigastudio 3?

Share/Bookmark

Experts look here! System requirements & Gigastudio 3?

Now, after months of delay I am finally going to upgrade my computer. Since I am building this computer myself using some old and some new parts, I have considered buying a P4 3,0 GHz processor and some 1 GB RAM to get me started before buying GS3.

I have read at the Tascam website that a P4 3,0 processor is recommended for optimal performance, but I would nevertheless like to ask you people about your opinion regarding CPU-power and GS3? Would a P4 3,0 GHz CPU be enough to run GS3? In case you wondered, I am composing orchestral music, so polyphony is naturally important for me as well as loading several instruments into the GS3.

Having never used a GS sampler before (can you believe it!) I am curious if my current soundcard would be sufficient (Audiophile 2496) for GS3.
    With a system like the one which I am about to make myself, would it be able to playback samples with fx's or would I have to buy an external fx-unit to ease the CPU? (I am just assuming the GS3 has got built-in fx's)

I should also mention that I only have quite old sample-libraries like the Roland Orchestral family, Denny Jaeger, AO, Classical Choir and my biggest in terms of MB, SOV. As such, being a former hardware sampler user with old libraries, 1 GB RAM would be more that enough for starters as I do not plan to buy any new libraries anytime soon but rather explore the ones that I've already got and make things I couldn't dream of earlier without having to worry about memory issues.
    I don't know if the fact that the samples in my libraries are fairly small compared to todays standard would mean that the system requirements would not be to high when using these with GS3? Am I right in this assumption?

Ok, lots of questions here mates!

Cheers

Chris

Re: Experts look here! System requirements & Gigastudio 3?

Looks like it would work fine. The older libraries should load well in 1 gigabyte, and the processor would be plenty fast enough. If you begin adding new libraries, you'd want memory first, so perhaps -- if there are four memory slots on your motherboard -- leave two of them free by buying 512 MB memory cards. Then an upgrade to 1.5 or 2 gigs is easy once you have the dough. The audiophile 24/96 works fine.

Thank you very much for your response, gugliel was it?

Regarding the memory slots: There are 4 slots on the motherboard so my plan was as you suggested to purchase another two 512's as soon as my pocketbook recovers from my severe abuse when buying all this (computer-hardware, GS3 and Chickensys), not to mention all the Christmas-presents!

This is the one time of the year that I wish I was a hermit living isolated in a hut in the middle of the forest away from all the stress and trouble of Christmas. At least then I could have gone for the 2gigs right away...

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Shantar
    ...1 GB RAM would be more that enough for starters as I do not plan to buy any new libraries anytime soon but rather explore the ones that I've already got and make things I couldn't dream of earlier without having to worry about memory issues.
    Make sure you read the "minimum and recommended" System Requirements for GS3 Orchestra. If you want maximum polyphony (max. number of notes playing at the same time), you will want GS3 Orchestra.
    http://www.tascamgiga.com/GigaStudio3FAQs.php

The 1GB of RAM meets their recommended requirements, but as Gugiel stated, make sure you buy memory so that you can eventually expand to 1.5GB or 2 GB.

Make sure you have at least two hard drives running at 7200 RPM, one for Programs/Windows OS, and one for GIGA samples. Ideally you would have a third hard drive to record your audio.

The "Sonic Control" website has a good review of GS3:
    http://www.soniccontrol.com/

Interesting, Martin...

I take it I can install GS3 on the same hard drive as Win XP and my sequencer/chickensys/other softsynths?

I guess I would have to buy a second hard drive for the samples then (already got one 120 GB, 7200 rpm)...

Chris:

You have now all the good advise from the experts. Good luck, it looks you will be fine. Just they did not talk about you 2496 soundcard.
    I use the same, with Windows XP and Cakewalk. No problems, if you download the latest driver ( after you got GS3) you have also GSIF2 compatibility.

Ted

Thank you Ted.

It's always nice to hear that not all of my equipment belongs in a sci-fi movie from the sixties!

BTW, I have been considering buying an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ instead of the P4 3,0. This is only because I found out that the motherboard that I was about to buy only has two memory slots and that is not enough since I can only afford to buy two 512 chips for now. Both the AMD motherboard and processor is a bit more expensive than if I was to go for the P4, but 1GB ram would not suffice in the long run... Do you guys think that the Athlon 64 3500+ would do the job?

Cheers, and a happy year!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Shantar
    Interesting, Martin...

I take it I can install GS3 on the same hard drive as Win XP and my sequencer/chickensys/other softsynths?

I guess I would have to buy a second hard drive for the samples then (already got one 120 GB, 7200 rpm)...
    Yes,
    Any music application that either reads or writes a lot of audio data usually recommends that audio data be on a different, physical hard drive. You would have Windows, your sequencer, GigaStudio, etc. on your "System drive" (C: drive) and have a second physical hard drive where your big sample libraries are stored. If you are recording audio on the same computer, a third drive would also be helpful.

In my hobbyist studio, I have:
    - Drive C (all programs and Windows)
    - Drive D (my audio drive where I record audio tracks)
    - External Firewire Drives (where my sample libraries sit).

Go Back to forum