• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 2112 Posts a GPO Demo!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation 2112 Posts a GPO Demo!!!!

Hi gang!

I decided to share a "skeleton"with my buds. Since the type of music that I do can get muddy real fast, I usually sketch out a skeleton of a song (and its form and structure) with GPO. Then, I go back and re-mix, re-arrange and so on (and occasionally have to use different sounds so they will "cut" in a mix). GPO will cut real nice as well, and the secondary use for me is to learn orchestration.

Since my birthday is tomorrow, I decided to resurrect a piece that I wrote on my 19th birthday. It is in the "skeleton" stage so I post it here for your amusement/torture . This is one of my "real" compositions (not like the "in the learning process" crap on my website). Note that as a jazz fusion drummer, I feel that if the tune has to be in 4/4, the listener should at least feel uncomfortable about it . I also had fun with the dynamics of the GPO piano (especially at the end). I hope you can hear my humor. Enjoy the mud.

all GPO except for Guitar, Bass, and Drums.

High Resolution

Last edited by Brian2112; 12-15-2004 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Weird Characters showed up???
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: 2112 Posts a GPO Demo!!!!

Brian,

Thanks for letting your 'skeleton' out of the closet. This is remarkable! A stunning and well done composition. Wrote it when you were 19? (last year? )

This is steps ahead as far as jazz fusion. You are a true musical innovator and liked the humor. I couldn't help but bop to the music.

Thanks for posting this and Happy Birthday!!

Gary Garritan

Nicely done, Brian!!

Wow, really nice!! There was some excellent piano going on, especially the end. And the guitar parts were very convincing.

I'd love to hear a mix that wasn't quite so wet and dominated with kick drum and bass. IMO some of the really good texture you have going is getting lost in a wash. Just my $.02 of course!

That's a much better listen than 90% of what the fusion genre is offering these days. Way to go!!

Oh yeah, happy B-day!!)

Loved the piece! Especially the fuller section starting at around 2.00.

The little piano solo (and the kick back in after it) was really inspried.

I agree with some of the comments about the mix - but it is a great listen as it is!

Thumbs up Re: 2112 Posts a GPO Demo!!!!

Hey, you're an excellent drummer man! What a pleasure listening to this piece! I especially love the ending. The nicest aspect of this tune is it doesn’t sound "cocky" in so much as the drums are "here, that's me in your face"!
    You'll go far my man. Always nice to listen to new blood on the skins.
    If ya don't mind, I think I'll play this until my hard drive splits!
    Styxx

Just real quick...(I'll elaborate later)...
    Thanks for all the comments...Wow!
    Ern...Everything is samples all played by me. I wanted to use my drum triggers, but they are being re-worked so I had to do it by hand (keyboard)...it loses a lot. So, I played the "other instrument" that i just dabble at - "the piano".

Lost in the wash is right Fred! It's engineering Karma. Back in the old days – heck even at Berklee Studio A – they use to tell me “You got too much meat on this sandwich” to which I replied “Hey! You got 20 to 20! Make it work or you’re fired ! Now that I have to do all the mixing myself, it comes back, which is why I do the “Drenched in Reverb Skeletons” to start with. So to all you engineers I have insulted/mocked/ and fired….Sorry!
    Thanks for listening folks…I made Ern smile – mission accomplished! Gary, thanks for the library, the kind words, and the encouragement. My father got on to read your comments last night and was very moved. Thank you!

…2112
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Very nicely done Brian....and Happy Birthday too!!!

Frank

Talking Re: 2112 Posts a GPO Demo!!!!

My father got on to read your comments last night and was very moved
    So, where did he move to?
    Styxx

Brian, Brian, Brian... And I have always said that I wasn't a fan of any kind of fusion except maybe the kind that happens in a nuclear reactor.

This was awesome. Thanks for finally posting a demo. If I had a fraction of your abilities, maybe these late nights would be productive. I'm loving the GPO piano solos in here. I almost wouldn't recognize it if I didn't already know. Works well in this setting I think. I will say that I wasn't fooled by the drums. Spotted them right off as samples.

Had to edit this since I listened to the end about 40 times. That ending was killer!!! How about a whole song like that. Funky stuff.

Great job, now I'm jealous of someone else. Curses!!!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast