• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Inspired to post by the 'Atonal' topic

Share/Bookmark

Inspired to post by the 'Atonal' topic

I did not purposely (and rarely do) intend this piece to be atonal. I do not consider it atonal. But it is, for the most part, defiantely NOT common practive harmony. The GPO performance is a WIP. But, I am not as picky with the synthesized performance. It reassures me that what I heard in my head is what an orchestra will sound close to. What wonderful sounds.

Since I have a slower processor (1 ghz... can't believe it's considered slow already!) I had to do some trickery. For the winds I used all 'solo' GPO patches. I then lowered the polyphony on the strings to about 4 or 5 each.

This piece was written for a contest that I did not win. (It was a long shot, anyway) It starts off quasi atonally and then wanders freely (and hopefully smoothly) between tonality and atonality. I really tried to put in some interesting orchestrations. It is composed for Chamber sized orchestra.

Sinfonietta for Chamber Orchestra, op. 16

Comments and nitpicks welcome.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Inspired to post by the 'Atonal' topic

Terrific piece, extremely well programmed!! Especially the winds. I like the flow, It has a definite logic to it, at least to my ears. if it had been me I could have stood to hear a tad more of a swell 3/4 through before it dies back down to the coda, but that's just a thang. The ending section is really nice, btw.

Less of a nit than an observation: the reverb is really odd. It seems to sound great in places, especially on the flute, and it sounds really funky on the strings, like an old spring reverb. A lot of places the strings sound dry while everything else is obviously nice and wet.

I'd love to hear this played by a real group. It's very good!

Jess,

Very nice. It seems more impressionistic than atonal. Almost 11 minutes long and not once did I loose interest. The instrumentation and splashes of orchestral color were impressive.

Would you mind this being posted on the GPO demo page? I think I'll go have another listen.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

I would be honored to have it posted on the demo page! Huzzah and thanks!
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Less of a nit than an observation: the reverb is really odd. It seems to sound great in places, especially on the flute, and it sounds really funky on the strings, like an old spring reverb. A lot of places the strings sound dry while everything else is obviously nice and wet.
    That is a trade-off with reducing the polyphony on the strings. Me and my slow processor!
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Thumbs up Re: Inspired to post by the 'Atonal' topic

It seems more impressionistic than atonal.
    I agree with Mr. G here. There is also seems to be a hint of Debussy or Revel slightly. Whatever, I found it most enjoyable and well orchestrated. Not many pieces take you places beyond reality as this one does.
    Very enjoyable and will be a wonderful addition to the demo page.
    Wonderful work sir.
    Styxx

Gracie! (Good catch on the Debussy influence)
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

As Gary stated, while it is 11 minutes, it stays interesting all the way through! Very interesting piece. It sounds good, so it is good! Great dynamics. Thanks for sharing!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    It sounds good, so it is good!

HAHAHAHA. Never let them tell you you aaren't tenacious!

Thanks for peeking in, Sean!

If anyone is interested, I might post a pdf of the score later tonight.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Very nice. As the others said, keeps your interest for the full ten and three quarters minutes.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast