• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ARP2600 V available as a download demo

Share/Bookmark

ARP2600 V available as a download demo

Hey gang, I commented on this in another thread, and thought that it deserved it's own heading. You can now download the demo version of Arturia's ARP2600 V online. If you're considering a virtual analog synth in the original tradition, it's definitely worth a look and listen.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: ARP2600 V available as a download demo

Just tell me one thing- is there a preset for the "Frankenstein" breakdown patch??

That's pronounced "FRANG-ehn-schteeeeen"

I love it - nice callout! As it so happens, I didn't even think to look as I was going through all of the patches. I did a quick scan of the All>>FX bank and didn't see it - but I might have missed it or it might be in another folder/location. I'm going to put in a request for a "search" function to find a patch string/name. There's a ton of cool stuff in there...

Exclamation Re: ARP2600 V available as a download demo

There was a thread on another forum where someone mentioned a patch that was designed to cover on particular sound for a song - but was under a different name. My guess is that the infamous "Frankenstein" patch is in there somewhere under cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    There was a thread on another forum where someone mentioned a patch that was designed to cover on particular sound for a song - but was under a different name. My guess is that the infamous "Frankenstein" patch is in there somewhere under cover.
    I would definitely buy it just to have that sound!! Does it have a polyphonic mode like the MiniMoog V does?? That would be pretty powerful... I had my heart set on the CS80V but the ARP might actually be cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    I would definitely buy it just to have that sound!! Does it have a polyphonic mode like the MiniMoog V does?? That would be pretty powerful... I had my heart set on the CS80V but the ARP might actually be cooler.
    Yes, it has polyphonic modes from 1 to 32 voices in steps. They have some really nice added features, including the 1601 sequencer and an extra free-form LFO section with lag processing. It's NICE! You should check out the demo and run with it a bit.

I would hope that this one TRUELY sounds like an ARP 2600 instead of yet another clever marketing trick with really pretty pictures of the real thing. I was quite dissapointed in the CS-80v which didn't sound or play very much like the real thing. Anyone who has been around these instruments and played them years ago will know what I mean. I'm wary of all these 'virtual analog' instruments which all sound good but all sound the same.

Only the Moog Modular V2 has the sound of the original instrument, imo.

There is another company advertising an ARP 2600 emulation which looks very interesting...

Hmmm- I never played a CS80 but I listened to a lot of Eddie Jobson and the V sounds pretty good to me. In any event, I have played MiniMoog for almost 30 years and nothing comes remotely close to the MiniMoog V. If used properly no one is ever going to know which one you used in a recording. My real Mini is currently residing in a (unused!!) bathtub.

Of course, these sims offer additional features and if you use them you will create (very cool) sounds that the original could never do. You have to stay within the parameters of the original if you want a true emulation. And heck, they're still softsynths- they aren't completely perfect.

Anyway, I think Arturia strick gold with the Moogs. I'l defer to people with more direct experience with the Yamaha and ARP synths on those.

Arrow Re: ARP2600 V available as a download demo

I've been both in front of and under the hood of all of these instruments (particularly the Moogs, since I used to work for Bob - but I also got to put the others under the knife at Wizard Electronics - Atlanta) and have got to say that the original ARPs sounded a lot like the original Moogs to begin with, that is, until later models where they were intentionally pushing the waveforms into clipping and moding the filter and VCA for a "fatter" sound. I at one time calibrated a 2600 only to have it returned because the guy who owned it thought I had done something wrong - but in fact I had just made it match factory specs.

So I think we have people listening to "their" ARP and thinking that it represents *ALL* ARPs in existance, which is far from the case (and is not the case when comparing an individual Moog Modular to the virtual version). It's the same with the CS-80, where the variance in the individual voice cards would make a huge difference in what you heard coming out of the beast.

I guess if Arturia could get 20 or 30 ARPs and do a cross-sectional analysis, to hear and emulate the various differences that you can hear in ARPs from different years, different levels of upkeep, and different modifications (both changes in design - see "lawsuit" filters - and invidual hot-rods that were done for Zawinul, Hancock and the like) to provide a wider variety of options - but then again, I don't want to pay $1000 for a softsynth just to offset the cost of collecting that much ado about not much. The reason why the ARP 2600 V sounds so much like the Moog - is because ARP spent so many years trying to knock off the Moog sound without getting sued.

I think one of the main things missing is the soft clipping, which Arturia said they would provide in the next update. That's good enough for me - as they've done a lot to update each one of their synths to make them both more unique - and extend beyond their hardware counterparts - and more true to the original, such as the ribbon controller update to the CS-80V.

WOW! When did you work at Wizard? You may be one of the guys who helped keep my Mini alive as long as it lasted... (it showed up there about every two years back in the 90's)

Go Back to forum