• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Have fun listing your WORST V.I.`s (and why?)!!

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up Have fun listing your WORST V.I.`s (and why?)!!

While we`re on the topic of V.I`s..

1) X-phraze - This isnt exactly the worst because its saving grace is you can import your own samples and then its usable. Great concept and is sometimes useful but I`m sorry ,Wizzo has the worst cheezy (and i dont mean that in a good way) sounds possible. Its like the Worst of the 80`s and 90`s put together..(anyone wanna buy my copy cheap?? ). Camelelon 5000 renders this V.I .obsolete.
    2) All the Cubase V.I.`s with the exception of Monologe and Embracer.
    VB-1~ Common`!! Who made that ?!!? Farting in a Lunch bag sounds better than that!
    3) Synth 1- Sort of popular amongst FM readers. Presets are so bad ~ Its good!!
    Well anyways, this is a start. I`m finding this a good way vent about stuff that you paid good money for that you`ll barely ever use! Rich

Re: Have fun listing your WORST V.I.`s (and why?)!!

Sonic Synth 1 - not stable at all and sounds like a roland jv80 with worse effects.

I agree the stock sounds on X-Phraze are a bit cheezy (not to mention many of the preset rhythm patterns are downright goofy), but it certainly doesn't qualify as one of my worst.

Neither does Synth 1 for that matter. Agreed, the presets that come with it are largely useless, but some of the user banks I've found at KVR rock! On the other hand, the filing system for those banks is quite peculiar and cumbersome.

For me, Morphology and PLP120 aren't my "worst," just sort of disappointing.
    Although in all fairness Morphology easily paid for itself several times over on a project for a pad-happy director...Up until that point though, I kept trying unsuccessfully to find a way to make it fit...Atmosphere it ain't...

The PLP120 has a unique stylized sound, good time stretching and decent interface, BUT:
    The loops are not quantized---meaning it doesn't play that well with others, especially over the course of a 4 bar loop...And once you start time stretching, it gets very..."interesting"...For example, 90 bpm might really mean 89.5---kinda sorta...
    The groupings are arbitrary, so you have "cute" names instead of descriptive categories. I'd rather have congas over here, tablas over there, finger cymbals over there, etc...The way it is, you have to poke around and create your own banks...
    Darbukas and dumbeks are way over-represented, while for other instruments---Taiko drums and bongos, to name a couple---there's just enough to tease you...
    And finally---Due to (developer) Ueberschall's agreement with ProSoniq (creators of the MPEX time-stretch algorithm), it doesn't save time-stretched information with your sequence; it needs to recalculate them every single time you open your tune. Too many time-stretched loops and oops, sorry...it'll lock up your computer.

Other than that, I love it.

Morphology has been a slight downer when I use the as is pre-sets. With a lot of tweekwerk some things come to pass that are ok............

But -- I really want to know how far back into the toybox of history Apple had to go for their Quick-Time sounds. Not even a nightmare could have me use most of them.........

Quote Originally Posted by chmara
    But -- I really want to know how far back into the toybox of history Apple had to go for their Quick-Time sounds. Not even a nightmare could have me use most of them.........
    He-he.....believe it or not, those QT sounds were licensed from Roland from the Sound Canvas set.

The reason they sound so terrible is because the entire sound set has to fit into a few hundred kilobytes to work with web browsers! That's some serious compression happening on those samples!

:-)

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    VB-1~ Common`!! Who made that ?!!? Farting in a Lunch bag sounds better than that!
    Don't say a word about VB-1. It was first VST instrument on this planet.
    He is like Grand Old Father of all VSTis available. So please, respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Head
    Don't say a word about VB-1. It was first VST instrument on this planet.
    He is like Grand Old Father of all VSTis available. So please, respect it.
    No..Its not!! Is it?!? Actually I`d love to know what the 1st VSti was?
    Spectrum?..Any info on that? Actually It might have been something from Stienberg.... O.K. Maybe i take it all back.
    Common people, lets keep the dirt flowing. I wanna hear about the VSTi`s that you bought and now think suck (whether they really do or not..)!!
    Rich

I think the order of the very first VSTis was this:

Steinberg Neon
    Steinberg Model-E
    Steinberg LM-4

and then the VB-1 came a little after that.....

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    I think the order of the very first VSTis was this:

Steinberg Neon
    Steinberg Model-E
    Steinberg LM-4

and then the VB-1 came a little after that.....

spectrum
    Interesting..The History of the VSTi. Any idea what year that would be? Plugs included in Cubase VST i presume...Its really come a long way in a short time.. P.S Eric, care to add to the VSTs that you dont use anymore cause you cant stand it..common .theres gotta be 1..

I think that Steinberg introduced these VST instruments at Winter NAMM 1999 or 2000. Their booth was next door to us.

The thing that's interesting is that they didn't make nearly as big a hoopla about the whole idea of VST instruments as other years, when they made huge presentations of Rocket Network and System Link....neither of which have had the same kind of effect that VSTi has had.

The Model E and LM4 made a pretty big impact initially...a lot of units sold, and it of course opened the eyes of hundreds of independant developers to what the possibilities were.....things just exploded from there and now we have this amazing riches of instruments available to us today.

I have a fondness for all these early virtual machines, and tend to look at them with more fondness for each of their unique qualities and quirks. I even used Model E (heavily processed) for some of the core library on Atmosphere and Trilogy.....which I usually don't talk about much, because Model-E has such a bad rep these days....but I have a set of patches that I made for it that I really like.

But really, all synths have cool things about them....it's just a matter of finding their character.

I think the two most dissappointing instruments I got and almost never used were Plex and D'Cota from Steinberg....I had a hard time finding something special that suited my own tastes in those. On the other hand, I absolutely love the PPG and the Cube, from the same creators...so you never know.

spectrum

Go Back to forum