• Register
  • Help

Topic: Converting Midi to Audio

Share/Bookmark

Question Converting Midi to Audio

I am having trouble converting midi to audio in Sonar 4. I am using Gigastudio 3.03 and I have an M-Audio 2496 soundcard.

I create an audio track and arm it. I have the input on the track set to a stereo input from my soundcard. I solo a few tracks to record and hit the record button. Everything sounds fine while recording, but I only get a recording of static. Does this have anything to do with 24 bit samples?

Thanks,

Terry

Re: Converting Midi to Audio

Are you using GS in ReWire mode?

Bill,

Good to hear from you! No, I am not using Rewire.

Terry

You will need to either use Rewire or loop out from the audio out to the audio in on your soundcard.

Yes, or have a second sound card to loop back from.

Although Giga has virtual MIDI ports, it doesn't have virtual audio ports, unless you use ReWire or the FX-MAX Giga VST wrapper (http://www.fx-max.com/).

Okay. I have been trying to learn about Rewire and I now know just enough to be dangerous. Tell me if my order is correct.

1. Open Sonar 4
    2. Load my project
    3. Open Rewire (it's sort of like opening DXi, right?)
    4. Giga 3 opens automatically.
    5. Load samples I need.
    6. Set the output on one of my midi channels to Giga 3 (Rewire).
    7. I should be able to hear that channel now through Giga.

The tempo rushes and drags like their is no clock sync. What is causing that?

I had to resurrect this old thread because I've been wondering the same thing for years. It seems inefficient to loop the audio-out of my soundcard back to the audio-in, thereby losing digital integrity. What's this ReWire thingy? Can I do it with the equipment I've got? Soundcard: Echo Mona 24/96. Software: Sonar 4 & GigaStudio 3.04 (running on WinXP). Thanks!

If you have your gigastudio set up to use rewire, then it works much as above. For me, using sonar 3 PE, the order is like this:

start sonar.

insert rewire device -- gs3 -- that adds one or more midi tracks and one rewire track (depending on your check marks on the sonar dialog box)

use as many midi tracks as you need, set the instruments appropriately

then, instead of 'arming' and recording, you use "bounce to tracks" under the edit menu to create an audio track from the midi track(s) passing through gigastudio as a rewire device. By default bounce to track puts its output in a new audio track, but you can set that as appropriate.

On my system, to get to gigastudio in a rewire situation, i have to use the "synth rack" view (<V>iew, Synt<h> Rack), then double click on the gigastudio preset or click on the properties icon. This starts gs3, and then I can load the .gsp instruments as appropriate from within gigastudio.

It's also possible to use gigastudio to record by itself, when it is NOT in rewire mode, using the Capture menu. Then you can import the audio files that gs3 recorded into sonar. That's what I used to do in gs2.5, rather than using an audio loopback.

Go Back to forum