• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Best Guitarist!!!

Share/Bookmark

Best Guitarist!!!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I liked the guitar post down below so I'm starting this one... Who do you think is the best guitarist in whatever genre you choose? My choice is Yngwie J. Malmsteen. He is influenced by other guitarists but he's my favorite. Has anyone ever heard his concerto suite?
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

Re: Best Guitarist!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    I haven't heard Yngwie's concerto suite. Is it sweet?

Ern
    Ern, Hendrix, of course, was great and influenced Yngwie. Occasionally Yngwie will play something by him or like him, but I'd rather here Yngwie play his own stuff. Have you heard anything from Yngwie? His speed, but more importantly, accuracy with speed while maitaining a signature vibrato at that pace is unbelievable. He can go up and down scales for minutes and minutes, and never make you tired of listening. If you ever have the chance, listen to his solos. I like him a lot better as a soloist or playing with a symphony than I do with him and his band. His band music (Rising Force) was/is kind of cheesey, but his playing rules! I have always loved the idea of combining classical/baroque music with electric guitar, and he is perfect. He'll play things like Beethoven's fifth, etc. during his guitar solos.
    "They get what they vote for." PaulR

I think Ern and i are on the same page ;-)

A few of my influences ::

Hendrix, Albert Lee, Jimmy Page, Clapton, Brent Mason, Jerry Garcia!, John McLauglin, Jeff Baxter (yeah yeah, but his stuff with Steely Dan was tastey), Zappa, Vai, Doc Watson, John Williams (the Australian one), The Edge, Fernando Sor, Wes Montgomery, Roy Buckanan, Steve Howe, Trey Anastasio, Michael Hedges, Leo Kottke,

Oh yeah -- i think Yngwie is wanker-supremo !!! Funny, how when fans speak of him, i hear (every time) technique, speed, accuracy - things usually associated with ummm, athletics, not music !! I never hear people say "He is so musical, great compositions" hehehe -- and who the hell wants to listen to someone play scales -- sorry -- no offense Danimal -- the Cult of Yngwie cracks me up - that whole muscle guitarist on steriods thing has brought great humor to me for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by SWL
    I think Ern and i are on the same page ;-)
    Oh yeah -- i think Yngwie is wanker-supremo !!! Funny, how when fans speak of him, i hear (every time) technique, speed, accuracy - things usually associated with ummm, athletics, not music !! I never hear people say "He is so musical, great compositions" hehehe -- and who the hell wants to listen to someone play scales -- sorry -- no offense Danimal -- the Cult of Yngwie cracks me up - that whole muscle guitarist on steriods thing has brought great humor to me for many years.

So true...speed...accuracy.. also associated with computers..Yngwie has no soul...or brain.

me...my guitar heroes are all technique slobs..

Eddie V....forever!!! anyone else who finger taps is a poser! (except Michael Hedges)

Vernon Reid (when he's really trying...and not finger tapping)

Brian May (not really a slob at all)

Dick Dale...KING of the Surf Guitar!!!

David Gilmore

Page.

and of course Hendrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal
    My choice is Yngwie J. Malmsteen.
    Then you might enjoy this: Here's a little recording of Yngwie being a schmuck on an airplane. Sure, it's not up to the side-splitting standards of the infamous Buddy Rich or Paul Anka tirades, but still good for a chuckle.

Oh yes...and Pat Metheny gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by XanaX
    Then you might enjoy this: Here's a little recording of Yngwie being a schmuck on an airplane. Sure, it's not up to the side-splitting standards of the infamous Buddy Rich or Paul Anka tirades, but still good for a chuckle.

Oh yes...and Pat Metheny gets my vote.

YOUV"E UNLEASHED THE FOOOKIN FURY!!!!

what a maroon.

joe pass

ed bickert

rik emmet

these are my favs!

I vote for Hendrix, Page and Reinhardt, because there is sooooo much feeling in their playing.

Wayne Krantz!!!

Smile Re: Best Guitarist!!!

Years ago we played in a Parisian club, after the gig the DJ played a remix from "Another Brick In The Wall" for starters. Well, everyone was singing the guitar solo, I mean EVERYONE, and they got every note pretty well. The highest notes gave some interesting faces, too bad I had no camera...

It was really something, David Gilmour is one of those rare fabulous instrumentist who can do that.

Christian

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast