• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tips with strings

Tips with strings

I am a newcomer to GPO and computer orchestras in general,

I was wondering whether anyone could help me out with strings. I would like some tips on making string sections (ensembles). Most of the sections by their own sound wavy. Low strings sound sort of woody on their own(lack of better word). How you attain that lush sound that I hear in many demos of GPO and in other orchestral music and the idea of strings in general? Any tips on doing this?

Re: Tips with strings

There's an "Introduction to Writing for Strings" course on Peter's website that uses GPO.

Good luck!

Orcas Island

Danielle has written a wonderful tutorial showing making string sections from individual violins, violas, cellos and double basses in GPO. The tutorial has many screenshots, MIDI files, and mp3s to guide you through the process. Danielle shows many tips and secrets of how to make convincing string ensembles

Here is the link:

Ensemble Building Tutorial

Gary Garritan

Decatur Illinois

I have a few demos on Gary's site and if you like any of the arrangements there, I would be happy to send you a cubase or midi file of those pieces if that would help.

Mr. Garritan,

Thank you for the tutorial! I visited the ensemble building part of your site, but I didn't know there was a tutorial.

Mr. Watkins,

Thank you for the offer! It helps me greatly to see how a good finished product is made. I'd be happy if you'd send me the cubase and midi files for "Conclusion". If you don't have it then the one for "Finding My Way" would be equally helpful. Thanks. My email is narutosama [at] gmail.com

The first thing I would recommend is to definately study scores. It's a lot easier the synthesize convincing strings if the string parts are written well. There are many good orchestration books, but for strings epsecially I always reccomend the Treatise on Instrumentation by Hector Berlioz and Richard Strauss, obviously two of the best composers for strings ever. The book is FILLED with score examples and covers all of the instruments, though a lot of the wind instrument sections are obviously out-dated.

After that one should learn the GPO tricks. It will make life much easier.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum