• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Return Of The King

Share/Bookmark

Cool The Return Of The King

Hey guys,

This is my 1st GPO demo in a long time. This is the 10 minute song from the end of Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. I used about 95% GPO for everything, and used VOTA for the voices.

http://www.samferrara.com/ReturnOfTheKing.mp3

Its about 9 mbs... rather large, but worth it.

~FireGS
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Re: The Return Of The King

Before I tell you what I think of your rendition, I must warn you this is my favorite track from the soundtracks, and I've listened to it an uncountable amount of times, so I know it by heart. In my opinion, this track could be the trilogy's overture just because it combines all the great melodies of the music into a single piece. That said, I know I'm going to be over critical just because I'm so used to the real thing. And you can never beat the real thing.

Did you do this all by ear? I know there are scores available, but if this was done by ear I can't imagine how long that would've taken, and I am very impressed.

The voices are terrible! You can't beat the real human voice, especially when singing something in another language.

The strings are very well done! At about 6:20, when it crescendos to that beautiful melody, I think they melody needs to be louder! Other than that, the dynamics are very well done, but the harmony really needs to be more in the background.

That woodwind instrument still doesn't sound like the soundtrack. I don't what it is, but whatever they used for the movie had a very distinct timbre and I don't think it can be matched with anything that GPO has.

Near the end, it seems you didn't have the available percussion, so it sounds a bit strange.

At about 9:20, when we get back to the hobbits happy home, and that little "Concerning Hobbits" melody kicks in, the string dynamics sound way off. They are too reverby. I'm not quite sure what Shore uses in the real thing, but the harp also sounds out of place.

Lastly, the ending needs to be just a bit more slow, and fade away more slowly.

Sorry for being way over critical, I am truly impressed by your dedication to working on this long piece! Nice job! Thank you for sharing! Watch out for those lawsuits!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Wow sean...I feel the same way, about everything you said! LMAO, the voices are terrible...but its the best i can do with what i have...the actual midi has taken me just under a year, on and off work, by ear. They used a Pennywhistle for the hobbit home...i have one, but its from the celtic Instruments pack, and i wanted this to be pure or almost pure GPO.

~FireGS
    ~Sam Ferrara~

I'm glad you agree on everything! A year? Whew. I have been working on a children's novel for a couple years now . . . That will never be finished. Inspiring to see such dedication! I'm too lazy . . .

GPO needs a pennywhistle! No, really, I want a pennywhistle! I need a pennywhistle! A nice beautiful pennywhistle . . .

Gary's working on so much fantastic stuff right now, though, so it can wait. Hopefully the celtic add-on will make it's way through. I know some people hate celtic music, but I love the stuff! Of course, I also love big bands and choirs . . . Sorry, I just keep blathering on . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Hehehe....

Sean, question...

Any other LOTR song youd like to hear me do?

~FireGS
    ~Sam Ferrara~

This one you just did is my favorite track . . .

Could you do "Into the West"?

Man, that would sound terrible with sampled voices!

How about "The White Tree"? (track #4 on Return of the King) A lot of brass in that one, might be kind of hard . . . but I love how that one builds up and then you hear that melody . . . ahhhh

Wow, it's late . . . I need a keyboard so I can lull myself to sleep . . .

Heck, why don't you just do the whole CD? I bet Howard Shore would love that!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Note to self...

Listen to this when I get home. I might have to make a note on my forehead to remember it, but I promise ya Fire, I'll make sure and flame you on this one later.

oh no! joseph...be kind....

~FireGS
    ~Sam Ferrara~

I also know this song well (the CD is in my car player right now), and I think you have done a very impressive representation of it. Although not all of the voicings are perfect (and that would be expected), you have definitely captured the stately pace and the emotional story as told by the original.

Many people have requested mock ups of the LOTR soundtrack, so thank you for devoting your time to this!

Regards,

David

FireGS,

You should really be proud of this one! Add some distraction elements such as moving pictures and I would have thought that your LOTR mockup was nothing but the real thing! Except for the VOTA stuff though, you should have replaced it with a solo violin or another "singing-like" instrument.

Ps: Did you use GPO in any of those Zelda reorchestrations you did?

Chris

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast