• Register
  • Help

Topic: piano release

Share/Bookmark

piano release

first of all. i am not a piano player.

now the question: why is it that when you play some of the high notes in a real piano, when you release the key, the strings keep on vibrating??

and most of you have to be aware that this behavior is copied in sampled pianos. why is that??

perhaps it would be more useful to play the high keys and mute the sample when you lift the finger, as you can control the key easier. whether it is a mechanical or acoustical problem, i think control could be improved if sampled pianos muted the sound after the finger was lifted.

of course you can always reprogram, but i wonder what are your opinions on this one.

Re: piano release

If I recall from looking at my piano, I do not believe there are damper pads (or whatever the proper word is) on the higher keys. My understanding is this is how pianos are made (probably) because the release is naturally short on the highest strings of the piano.

But, I am sure most people here know much more than me about his, so feel free to correct me.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    If I recall from looking at my piano, I do not believe there are damper pads (or whatever the proper word is) on the higher keys. My understanding is this is how pianos are made (probably) because the release is naturally short on the highest strings of the piano.

But, I am sure most people here know much more than me about his, so feel free to correct me.

jeffn1
    Your correct! From G5 and up, there are no dampers on the strings.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by Worra
    Your correct! From G5 and up, there are no dampers on the strings.
    Worra, do you call middle C C4 or C3?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

In this case, he's using C3 as middle C. Some pianos eliminate the dampers in different places, but the top octave plus a few notes is always undamped in acoustic pianos.

Two reasons: Yes, high notes have generally short ring time, but also, there is almost no room for a damper to even exist on the highest strings without virtually covering it end-to-end. Those high strings are short!!

Go Back to forum