• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Quick question... Cakewalk problem with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Quick question... Cakewalk problem with GPO

Again, Love the library, downloading the updates which I thougroughly appreciate all Gary's work... In cakewalk, the tracks also record all the sounds of the previolus tracks until after about 7 tracks, it snowballs into a way loud cluster.. I understand how Giga deals with the whole conversion, But i do not understand how Kontakt deals with it..... I do realize that with Giga, I'm using separate Midi tracks, which seems to keep them separate right down to the assigned midi track ony my keyboard... Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks in advance...

PS, in other words, how do I record each track with its own volume and instrument, I mean, I should be able to isolate that track, and only hear the instrument on that track, Instead each new track records the whole arrangement...

Re: Quick question... Cakewalk problem with GPO

I hope someone has some info on why this is happening, cause it's a complete showstopper for me, Major pops and clicks because of where one track stopped recording and you can hear the differences in volume, and pops and such.... Anyways, would I have better luck posting this on the General Northernsounds forum? Until I figure this one out My GPO sits unused...

What Cakewalk version and product are you using?

Pro Audio 9

Make sure each track is using a separate MIDI channel and is not set for OMNI. Also, the DXi version has a tempo change bug that can cause notes to continue sustaining way past their cutoff point. Try using the VST version which doesn't have this bug.

Well, even the Cubasis does same thing.. So, Next question, Can Chicken systems or another translator convert to .gig? I really wish I would have tried a Kontakt demo before doing this... Gary's part of it is all good, I'm not likeing Kontakt though... It doesn't Like my old gina, and it obviously doesn't like my onbaord sound ac97.... I have spent so many hours doing this when I thought this was gonna be better than Gigastudio, I guess that's why Giga is still at the top of the foodchain... Sorry if I sound Bummed out...

Wow, You guys don't know how sorry I am to see that this doesn't work... Why doesn't someone go ahead and tell me, what the perfect tested combination is... I guess I don't care if I have to go spend another $600, at least tell me how people are getting this to work, exact software, drivers, whatever.... Just gettin so discouraged... Maybe I shouldn't... Maybe it was there all the time, Gigastudio!!! Maybe I'm trying to fit a square into a triangle....... Anyways, I was very excited at first....

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhed
    Wow, You guys don't know how sorry I am to see that this doesn't work... Why doesn't someone go ahead and tell me, what the perfect tested combination is... I guess I don't care if I have to go spend another $600, at least tell me how people are getting this to work, exact software, drivers, whatever.... Just gettin so discouraged... Maybe I shouldn't... Maybe it was there all the time, Gigastudio!!! Maybe I'm trying to fit a square into a triangle....... Anyways, I was very excited at first....
    Well, I had ac 97 on my system for a few days, came installed on the mother board of my HP. I switched to Audigy 2 ZS, went on line and updated drivers, and lots of problems ended. I can't say that this will solve your immediate problem, because I don't understand it yet.

I am using Sonar 2.2, works well with GPO Studio, DXi and VST. I jumped from Cakewalk 7 to Sonar, so I am not acquainted with the details of Cakewalk 9. If it has DXi capabilities, you should try that method, slower than Studio, but less cpu usage.

Perhaps if you specified your complete system and all pertinent audio/midi/notation software, an answer might be easier to find. I have experienced frustrations of this type more than once! So has nearly everyone, I think. I would not be in a rush to spend more money without first identifying the problem cause. I for one will be thinking on it for a while, and I expect others will also. So hang in help will arrive!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhed
    Again, Love the library, downloading the updates which I thougroughly appreciate all Gary's work... In cakewalk, the tracks also record all the sounds of the previolus tracks until after about 7 tracks, it snowballs into a way loud cluster.. I understand how Giga deals with the whole conversion, But i do not understand how Kontakt deals with it..... I do realize that with Giga, I'm using separate Midi tracks, which seems to keep them separate right down to the assigned midi track ony my keyboard... Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks in advance...

PS, in other words, how do I record each track with its own volume and instrument, I mean, I should be able to isolate that track, and only hear the instrument on that track, Instead each new track records the whole arrangement...
    Seems to me that the general method would be as follows.

Open the Synth Rack view.

Insert one audio track for each midi track.

Assign each audio track to a specific midi track, i.e., GPO VST channel 1, etc

Set up your player to your requirements. Mute the tracks you don't want to play, or solo the one you do want to play.

Select the tracks (above), mixdown audio.

Alternate:

Open GPO Studio, setup instruments.

Open Cakewalk, setup midi according to GPO Studio.

Keeping Cakewalk open, go to Studio, select Record to file, select name & location, swat record, return to Cakewalk and swat the space bar to begin play.

Comment: I suspect the remark about tempo, stuck notes, has been resolved in current update of GPO. I have used DXi with Sonar, on pieces with multiple tempo changes, have experienced no difficulties. But perhaps the problem affects only Cakewalk products prior to Sonar 2.2?

Richard
    Last edited by rwayland; 12-18-2004 at 03:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Richard, Where in the redwoods are you? I could swear i've seen you in Santa Cruz Cal before... I guess everyone has their look-a-like Huh? LoL

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Seems to me that the general method would be as follows.

Open the Synth Rack view.

Insert one audio track for each midi track.

Assign each audio track to a specific midi track, i.e., GPO VST channel 1, etc

Set up your player to your requirements. Mute the tracks you don't want to play, or solo the one you do want to play.

Select the tracks (above), mixdown audio.

Alternate:

Open GPO Studio, setup instruments.

Open Cakewalk, setup midi according to GPO Studio.

Keeping Cakewalk open, go to Studio, select Record to file, select name & location, swat record, return to Cakewalk and swat the space bar to begin play.

Comment: I suspect the remark about tempo, stuck notes, has been resolved in current update of GPO. I have used DXi with Sonar, on pieces with multiple tempo changes, have experienced no difficulties. But perhaps the problem affects only Cakewalk products prior to Sonar 2.2?

Richard

Go Back to forum