• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best way to install GS 3 over GS 2...

Share/Bookmark

Question Best way to install GS 3 over GS 2...

Ive been sort of waiting for a GS3.1 update before i risk loosing the stable GS 2.54 system i have goin now. But, I almost feel brave (stupid) enough to risk loosing GS 2.5 over X-mas (since i dont have to work) if I can`t get it running smoothly.
    I`d love to know what you guys might think the safest way to Instal GS 3 is...(de-instal GS 2.5 ,run giga clean, instal GS 3..etc.). Is there something involving the my Gina24 drivers in there...
    I don`t what anymore instalation heartaches with GS , Its been a tempermental beast for me...
    Experts..Advise.. Thanks, Rich
    BTW I`m putting it on a P4 2.4 ,2gb with seagate drives

Re: Best way to install GS 3 over GS 2...

Since you specified help from experts, I have problems answering your question because I am not an expert. GS3 installation was easy for me, because I followed instructions. GS3 installation said to remove completely any earlier GS installation. So, save your performance files somewhere, and uninstall GS2.5xx according to Tascam clean uninstall instructions. If you have your CD key, just pop your installation disk in, and run it. I had problems only because I did not convert all my samples to GS3 format, I did not set my polyphony settings properly and did not set up my sequencer either. Once these were done, all worked perfectly. So, if you go step by step, you should not miss your music during Xmas. You did not include any info about your system, but hopefully you checked if your PC will be OK for GS3. Sorry, I can not help you with your soundcard. I did not have to do anything with mine between GS2.5 and GS3. When GSF2 drivers became available for mine, I did install it and changed from 16bits to 24.
    Good luck.
    Ted

thanks ted..Your making it sound easy enough to attempt it... Rich

Hi Rich,

I did my GS3 upgrade over the net. Was that the least expensive way to go from TO? I hope so. (Excuse poor poetry.)

JG

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    Hi Rich,

I did my GS3 upgrade over the net. Was that the least expensive way to go from TO? I hope so. (Excuse poor poetry.)

JG
    Hi John.. Actually your smart , I wish i did that. Cause i pre-ordered (got i right away) but in the end i chickened out on instaling cause of all the problems id heard (from this Forum and others) and had a bunch of gigs going on at the time where i need GS to be working. In the end the $50 upgrade ended up costing me $149 CND with all the shipping and exchange and tax!!!
    How did you find the instal and do you remember the steps you took or did u guess follow the manual sugestions? Best From T.O., Rich

I would do what you suggested - uninstall GS2, giga clean, then install 3 then install the new giga 3 patches. Giga3 is working very well for me now. Good luck.

Rich,

The steps I followed were:
    1. Uninstalled GS2 using "Add/Remove Programs"
    2. Ran "GigaClean.exe" (comes on GS3 DVD)
    3. Shutdown/restarted PC
    4. Installed GS3 Orchestra
    5. Registered GS3, receiving Authorization
    6. Ran "License Backup" (ONLY after registered)
    7. Download and install most current upgrade version

If you TOTALLY want to make sure GS2 is gone, you could insert Step "2a", and use this "Uninstalling Giga (v2.5) in Windows XP":
    http://www.tascamgiga.com/pdf/clean-uninstall-xp-2K.pdf

After you install GS3, expect the first startup to be REALLY long. It scans all hard drives for .gig files (to build QuickSound DB) and will go through all of the VSTs in your specified "VST Path".

Also, expect GS3 to crash a few times while it "works its way" through your VSTs. My GS3 crashed about 10 times before it processed all of my VSTs (it excludes ones it can't handle). To "force" this process of going through all of your VSTs:
    - launch 'Start, All Programs, Tascam GS3, GigaStudio Configuration Manager'
    - select the 'Rewire/Plugins' tab
    - click on "Configure plugins" button.
    - If GS3 displays a screen with all of your plugins (top half "good", bottom half "excluded") you know you have made it through all of them. As I mentioned, I had to run this little "process" about 10 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Pell
    Hi John.. Actually your smart , I wish i did that. Cause i pre-ordered (got i right away) but in the end i chickened out on instaling cause of all the problems id heard (from this Forum and others) and had a bunch of gigs going on at the time where i need GS to be working. In the end the $50 upgrade ended up costing me $149 CND with all the shipping and exchange and tax!!!
    How did you find the instal and do you remember the steps you took or did u guess follow the manual sugestions? Best From T.O., Rich
    It's in the mail, and I hope I'm not stunned with a bunch of duties on top of what I paid Tascam! (from gs2-96 to orchestra)

JG

PS Where do you go, Rich, to get stuff like ultra quiet cpu fans and 10k hard drives. I'm using College St computer stores, but I have to order everything. Maybe there's no alternative to that. Also, I'm having trouble finding places, other than Steve's, L and M, and Saved to listen to the kind of monitors mentioned in the thread on that subject above. Nobody up here carries them (Gens and MAckies, yes, but not the other high-end stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant
    It's in the mail, and I hope I'm not stunned with a bunch of duties on top of what I paid Tascam! (from gs2-96 to orchestra)

JG

PS Where do you go, Rich, to get stuff like ultra quiet cpu fans and 10k hard drives. I'm using College St computer stores, but I have to order everything. Maybe there's no alternative to that. Also, I'm having trouble finding places, other than Steve's, L and M, and Saved to listen to the kind of monitors mentioned in the thread on that subject above. Nobody up here carries them (Gens and MAckies, yes, but not the other high-end stuff).
    Hey John, Sorry to break this to you but expect some serious duties ( i think mine was around $75!) Tascam stupidly shows the package as its full cost ,not the $50 upgrade.."Full Phasers on Stun..".
    Canada Computers on College is about the cheapest and they carry Zalman stuff . I havent seen the 10K raptors yet in stores but PC Villiage (Bloor and Yonge store) can usually order any thing in the next day.
    Send me A PM to remind me and I`ll set up with with a guy who carries all the high end stuff ( he might even be able to let you audition them in your studio..!). I think L and M has Dynaudio and Genelec and I know Steves carries KVK`s and Adam..I wouldn`t bother with SBT for that stuff....Best, Rich

Sincerly thanks Martin and Steve!!!..I`ll try what your suggesting in the next couple day and let you know how it goes...Lets hope i dont get pricked by the GS Voodoo.... Best Rich

Go Back to forum