• Register
  • Help

Topic: Johnnie Carl has gone home

Share/Bookmark

Johnnie Carl has gone home

I am so sad today.
    Please listen to A Song Of Peace while you read this...
    I have been ministered to so much by this man's music.
    He ended his wonderful life this morning.
    I don't know why, but God does.
    Please visit Johnnies website and listen to some of his arrangements. It will bless you in a WOW way!
    My condolences go out to Johnnies family, Robert Schuller and the entire congregation of the Crystal Cathedral
    Our loss.... God's gain

Crystal Cathedral Ministries

Press Release
    Friday, December 17, 2004, 6:30 am PST
    Garden Grove, California

Dr. & Mrs. Robert H. Schuller are deeply saddened this morning to learn that Crystal Cathedral Orchestra conductor, Johnnie Carl, 57 years old, has taken his life. Mr. Carl has been in the employment of the Crystal Cathedral for nearly 30 years and is internationally renowned as a conductor and as a composer and arranger of over 3,500 musical pieces.

"Johnnie was a beloved member of our church family and close personal friend," said Dr. Schuller. "He was a creative genius whose beautiful arrangements and superb conducting set new levels of excellence for sacred music.

Johnnie’s music brought joy to the millions of viewers around the world who watch the Crystal Cathedral’s Hour of Power television program each week. His rich legacy of musical works will continue to inspire the generations to come."

"We extend our deepest condolences to the Carl family whom we love deeply. We will miss Johnnie greatly."

Mr. Carl’s responsibilities at the Crystal Cathedral included co-minister of music, conductor and arranger of the Hour of Power Orchestra and the musical director for the Crystal Cathedral’s Glory of Christmas and Glory of Easter productions. Mr. Carl has served as teaching assistant and staff accompanist at UCLA and an adjunct member of the music facilities of Fullerton College (Fullerton, California), Hope International University (Fullerton, California), and Vanguard University (Costa Mesa, California).

Mr. Carl’s music has been performed by such notables as Roger Williams, Celine Dion, David Foster, The London Symphony, John Tesh, Lee Greenwood, Michael Crawford and many others. He earned a gold record for his work as arranger/orchestrator on Live from Red Rocks (John Tesh) and a four-time platinum record for his work on These Are Special Times (Celine Dion). Mr. Carl studied choral and instrumental music at UCLA and USC.

Funeral arrangements are pending. The Glory of Christmas will resume its normal performance schedule this evening.

Dr. Robert H. Schuller is the Founding and Senior Pastor of the 10,000-member Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove, California. The ministry celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2005. Dr. Schuller is the host of the Hour of Power weekly television program that is viewed by millions of people around the world. The television program celebrates its 35th anniversary in 2005 and is the fourth longest-running weekly program on television. See www.crystalcathedral.org for additional information.

Re: Johnnie Carl has gone home

Crystal Cathedral Orchestra conductor, Johnnie Carl, 57 years old, has taken his life.
    Clarify, this isn't saying what I think it is, is it?
    I've watched the Hour of Power for years! Gave to the building of the Crystal Cathedral and admired Johnnie Carl's work progressively! My heart is saddened....
    Styxx

This is really sad. From what I've been hearing he went to the Cathedral and shot it up a bit before he turned the gun on himself. Luckily no one else seems to have been involved. Can anyone clarify further??

Anyway, it's an awful thing. Apparently he was suffering from a bi-polar disorder. Such a talent. I hope he is at peace now.

Unhappy Re: Johnnie Carl has gone home

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    This is really sad. From what I've been hearing he went to the Cathedral and shot it up a bit before he turned the gun on himself. Luckily no one else seems to have been involved. Can anyone clarify further??

Anyway, it's an awful thing. Apparently he was suffering from a bi-polar disorder. Such a talent. I hope he is at peace now.
    God!
    Styxx

Wow! I heard about a shooting but not a suicide. Unfortuantely, even in some religious settings; leaders aren't well taken care of. They give and give and others around them don't realize that The givers need to be taken care of themslelves.
    Sorry to hear about this.

Sincerley,

Jonathan Parham

Let's face it- religious or secular setting, it doesn't matter. The pressures of a job like that can be enormous. I feel like I could blow sometimes and my life probably isn't 1/100 as complex as his was. And I do have my own little bouts with depression (thankfully, it has lessened drmatically over the last few years.) It is just such a sad thing because the notion of mental illness (which bi-polar/depression issues are) still have a horrible stigma about them and people are reluctant to do what is necesary to get loved ones help sometimes.

Of course, we don't know any real details about Johnnie's situation. I don't want to sound like I'm finger pointing- I'm not. I just wonder if he could have been helped and he'd still be with us.

very sad... let's keep his family in our prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Let's face it- religious or secular setting, it doesn't matter. The pressures of a job like that can be enormous. I feel like I could blow sometimes and my life probably isn't 1/100 as complex as his was. And I do have my own little bouts with depression (thankfully, it has lessened drmatically over the last few years.) It is just such a sad thing because the notion of mental illness (which bi-polar/depression issues are) still have a horrible stigma about them and people are reluctant to do what is necesary to get loved ones help sometimes.

Of course, we don't know any real details about Johnnie's situation. I don't want to sound like I'm finger pointing- I'm not. I just wonder if he could have been helped and he'd still be with us.
    Tell me about it!!

Frank

PS This is very sad and goodness knows what pressures folk are enduring behind their facial facades. I thought the 'advert' at the end of the press release was in exceptionally bad taste.....not entirely unexpected from these type of groups though......I'm afraid I can't take that sort of thing.....

The pressure of his vocation and the pressures involved most likely wasn't his real problem. His work probably kept him going as long as it did. He had the illness of bi-polar disorder. He was having trouble wih his medication recently from what I hear, but he was battling this for a long time. Schuler has confirmed as such and has aided him as much as he could in the past.
    Very sad.
    Logic 9 | OSX Snow Leopard | 2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 4g ram |Dual Cinema Displays | MBox 2 | MOTU 2408, MTP AV | AlphaTrack | BlueSky 2.1 |

Go Back to forum