• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The End of All Things (RotK)

Share/Bookmark

The End of All Things (RotK)

Hey there, its me again! YAY!

LOL

After just finishing "Return of the King" on a previous post, I figured i'd give VOTA another chance, and boy, did i think i do much better!

its again, 90% GPO, VOTA Male, Female, Demon, and Angel choirs, and AO Advanced Choir, and DIVA Female Soloist.

http://www.samferrara.com/TheEndOfAllThings.mp3

Comments?

~FireGS
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Re: The End of All Things (RotK)

No comments? *cries*
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Hey, the people in this forum have work to do and can't be ready 24 hours a day to comment on new pieces! Be a little patient...

OK, I am too lazy to comment on every thread you made, so please bear with me, as this counts for all the LOTR pieces you submitted: It seems that they are well made, but I can't relly tell because something is wrong with the reverb and equalizing. Which is a pity! I especially liked how you did "The End of all things", my personal favorite from the 3rd movie.

You seem to be very talented, but you need to work a little on your mixing, equalizing and reverb. For starters I would humbly like to suggest re-doing the reverb. You applied too much of it (everyone does that when starting music!) and the orchestra sounds like it was recorded from down the hall, through 3 doors. (I'm just trying to be funny here, ok? No offense intended!)

So try loading a preset like "Concert Hall" into Ambience. Try experimenting with the dry and wet values and try finding the correct amount of signal to send to the reverb. There are many people in this forum who will be able to help you much, much more than I ever could. Maybe one of them will find time to give you some pointers.

Don't give up! You're on the right track!

If you find time to re-do these tracks, please post them again! I would love to hear them.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Sam,

Very nice. This is a very difficult piece to pull off and I think you did a very good job with the orchestration. For more realism you know about the solo string layering trick we talked about on chat.

Voices are always difficult. For the voices you may want to try layering real voices low in the mix (get your girlfriend to sing along ).

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Sam,

Very nice. This is a very difficult piece to pull off and I think you did a very good job with the orchestration. For more realism you know about the solo string layering trick we talked about on chat.

Voices are always difficult. For the voices you may want to try layering real voices low in the mix (get your girlfriend to sing along ).

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan
    Having just watched the movie, I'd say its pretty close. Nice work.
    http://hopkins.composerarts.com

Thank you!!

~FireGS
    ~Sam Ferrara~

I assume you transcribed it all by ear? Or did you find a score?
    http://hopkins.composerarts.com

Thumbs up Re: The End of All Things (RotK)

Nice work! I will however agree with musicpete on the reverb. Some of the orchestration sounds indistinct. A side from this, I would say this is quite remarkable.
    Styxx

Well, i had a partial copy of the score, but it was pure piano, and i couldn't make heads or tails of it, so i did it be ear...like all of the underlying orchestration wassnt on the piano score i had.

Thanks Styxx!

~FireGS
    ~Sam Ferrara~

Thumbs up Re: The End of All Things (RotK)

Wow, I like this a lot! I actually kinda like your use of reverb here. Granted, it could do with a little bit of mixing, but most movie scores these days use a hell of a lot of reverb anyway, and it seems to deepen and dramatise the music somewhat.

I've noticed one of the challenges with writing music in GPO is that it can require a lot of painstaking work to get a nice, full, bassy orchestra sound. Not that that's a problem with the program itself, of course; but to get your composition working well in GPO, you often have to ramp up the lower octaves and the lower sound frequencies in order to avoid it sounding too high-pitched and trebly. You've done this very well here; I like it.

I'm putting this in my "keep" folder.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast