• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Newest Song (ALL GPO yay!)

Share/Bookmark

Newest Song (ALL GPO yay!)

Well i finally have this one rendered properly after lots of hard work! DFD screwed things up .

THis is my newest project. Its probably the best thing ive done with GPO to date. Feel free to suggest things and uh.....names....because i just gave it a lame generic name

THE BATTLE

Enjoy!

Re: Newest Song (ALL GPO yay!)

bump

lot's of work,,,I would cut waaaaaay back on the high end EQ, it's really really sizzley, or loose the Eq all together.
    DPDan

Yea i know. this still needs plenty of work

The strings sound muffled when i lower the EQing though. ill try and adjust it now though.

EDIT: Updated. I Re-EQ'ed it, and took off the stupid imaging plugin which made everyhting sound strange. I replaced the French horn patch with a solo horn (the French horn fortissimo patch sounded like "wwwaaHHH waAAHHHH") , and i cut part of the ending.

Hope its a bit better. Ill work on it more still.

(ALso, why is the stradivarius violin so ear piercing? Ive tried to make it sound smmoth but all i get is that really sharp sound...any tips on that?)

Hi Kanjika,
    You know, I never did like the Strad myself, the Guarn sounds so much nicer, but I have a feeling it's not the instrument, but more the player. Some times in real orchestras, players are hired somewhat for the instrument they own. All too often a player can take a cheap handmade instrument and make killer music with it. I personally don't like the super fast vibrato that the Stradivarius samples have, so I don't use it. At least GPO has a nice selection of different instruments and no doubt some people will love it.
    This can never be posted too often. Gary posted it a while back and I copied it because I love it so much.... DPDAN

The Master's Touch

It was battered and scarred
    and the auctioneer thought it scarcely worth his while
    to waste much time on the Old Violin but he held it up with a smile.

"What am I bid Goodfolks?" he cried. "Who'll start the bidding for me?"
    It was "a dollar... a dollar.... then two"... only two.
    "Two dollars and who'll make it three?"
    "Three dollars once - Three dollars twice - And going for three"
    But No!...

From the room far back,
    a gray-haired man came forward and picked up the bow.
    And wiping the dirt from that old violin...
    and tightening the loosened strings...
    You know, He played a melody pure 'n sweet, as the carillon angels sing.

Well, the music stopped,
    and the auctioneer in a voice that was quiet and low...
    Said: "What am I bid for the Old Violin?" And He held it up with the bow.
    "A thousand dollars! Who'll make it two?

Two thousand! Who'll make it Three?"
    It was "three thousand once"... "three thousand twice"...
    and "Going for three!" said he.

Well, the people stared...
    But some of them cried: "We do not quite understand!"
    "What changed its worth?"
    Swift came the reply... "It was the Touch of the Master's Hand."

Nice piece, Kanjika, technical issues aside. Even MORE impressive considering you're only 14!! Wow!

Heh i get that alot. If you have musical tlaent and the tools, you can do anything if you try.

UPDATED

Does it sound any better?

If you would send me the GPO version that would be awesome, since I could then compare the two versions. You are doing some great work. Her is my email:

paulmcgraw@charter.net

Thanks,

Paul McGraw

Kanjika

Dan is right about much depending on the player. Comparing libraries is subjective and we discourage it here. We would rather focus on providing the knowledge and tools you need for you to make the string sections you are after.

Using monolithic unison string patches is not going to be ideal no matter what library you use. This is an old way of doing things and the better way is to layer solo strings or build sections one instrument at a time.

This is a trick the pros often use. When layering solos you can hear individual instruments weave in and out, rise and fall with different start times and intensities. An orchestra is actuall many musical instruments playing together. Not cloks of unisons. So layering or using many solo instruments is the best way to get the most realistic sounding strings.

Here's a string section Francesco made with 27 individual patches in GPO - http://www.garritan.com/mp3/fm-CombinedStrings.mp3

And Danielles' work with ensemble building - http://www.garritan.com/mp3/Fantasia...omasTallis.mp3

Here is Danielle's ensemble building tutorial: http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/Str...gTutorial.html

We'll be posting more of Danielle's tips on how to work with strings soon.

Hope this helps,

Gary Garritan

Thanks Gary. I may try building sections with this project sometime, but i feel that this song is sort of finished for now. Everything i do with GPO on this project seems to fail

I do have a project i will post soon thats all GPO, and it sounds great . I think im gonna try ensemble building with it too.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast