• Register
  • Help

Topic: Fake mic positions

Share/Bookmark

Fake mic positions

This is just a little experiment i did. I was trying to get the release taril on this one patch sound good and i ended up emulating mic positions pretty well

I dont know if anyone cares but, it can easily be done with the right settings on the ambience reverb. If you just tweak the dry/wet, it sounds fake. I used a stereo enhancer and different reverb settings for each position.

Heres what it sounds like. CLose, medium, far.

http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...P3KB72DHYUNFOL

Re: Fake mic positions

Quote Originally Posted by Kanjika
    This is just a little experiment i did. I was trying to get the release taril on this one patch sound good and i ended up emulating mic positions pretty well

I dont know if anyone cares but, it can easily be done with the right settings on the ambience reverb. If you just tweak the dry/wet, it sounds fake. I used a stereo enhancer and different reverb settings for each position.

Heres what it sounds like. CLose, medium, far.

http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...P3KB72DHYUNFOL
    >

Very convincing, can you give more details?
    iwan

Re: Fake mic positions

Well i madec this little cheezy pizzicato line on an EWQLSO patch. For mic position one, i added a small amount of the ambience reverb and a bit of the natural release tail. For 2, i added a slight bit more trail and turned down the dry slider to -1.8 db in ambience. Also, theres a stereo enhancer on 2. I made the strings sound a but less wide because it wasnt such a close position. For 3, i added again, slightly more release trail, and turned the reverb to -4 db dry. I used more of that stereo enhancing effect to make the srings sound more centered. I also changed alot of the damping too.

And for close positions, its good to have a wider sound, and thinner reverb. Adjust the width knob in Ambience to get this. Farther positions have a wide reverb but a less wide sound. For example, on very close positions, violins are panned way to the left, almost completely, but farther away, they seem closer to the center. Everything blends more

THis also works well with any strings, especially GPO. The release trails arent crucial, but they add.

Go Back to forum