• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: SAM Brass vs. Gold - anyone own both?

Share/Bookmark

SAM Brass vs. Gold - anyone own both?

The SAM complete package is very tempting.
    The true strike percussion sounds phenomenal.

The choice may come down to SAM package vs GOLD pro edition.

Anyone own both Sam Brass and Gold?

Compliment or not?
    Is Sam Brass a big help to Gold?
    Or would it be a redundant purchase?

Anyone own SAM and VSL - same questions to you.

Just trying to figure out if SAM is a good edition to either Gold or VSL.
    Keep in mind that I am on the quest for the grail so even subtle improvements are worth considering.

thanks to all for taking the time to post!

Re: SAM Brass vs. Gold - anyone own both?

I use Sam Horns and Gold. I think the libraries complement eachother.

Sam Horns has some great cluster-effects and stopped horns that aren't included in gold while gold on the other hand has better staccato-stuff and more solo articulations. IMHO

Here is some stuff im working on. using SAM Horns and Gold:

http://www.perkihlborg.com/mp3/PerKi...Dbrasstest.mp3

Per,
    Nice piece!

Could you walk us through your piece in regards to what brass is being used and where?

What's the ratio?
    50/50
    60/40 more SAM? etc.

Can't thank you enough for you input.

ok

0.10 to 0.20: Some scattered staccato Gold Solo Tuba

0.14-: Sam Horns Stopped portato

0.21: Gold 6frhorns Rips

0.30-: Some chords, Sam Horns Stopped portato
    doubled with Sam Horns Sustinato
    also using the modwheel on Gold 6frhorns dxf for extra horn
    backup

0.44-: Basicly the same setup just different chords and velocities

1.02-: The instrumentation above is augmented with Gold 6frhorns
    staccato and Gold Solo Tuba staccato on the percussion
    beats

1.27 GOLD 4Trumpet, hard to hear under the strings but playing
    the same melody

Hi, I own both. I think they work well together. Gold Pro may include a lot of the missing articulations soon, negating the need to use Sam Brass. But for now, I very much use both.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Hi Ed,

I also own both. I don't feel that SAM is a redundant purchase and that it compliments Gold nicely. However, I feel (judging by the new articulations) that the Gold PRO update will compliment Gold better than the SAM brass. As with so many libraries, there is no perfect library that fits all situations. SAM Brass gives you another set of tones that you can use in your music.

HTH,
    FV

I own Sam, VSL and Pro - and I would tend to use VSL (with Epic Horns) and Gold. Having all three is fine, but in most cases you would find that two of them would be enough. But as someone mentioned, Sam has some cool effect horns (which I also still use)

Hey this track kicks ~~~ man! Good one! Man it's getting me hyped to receive my Gold package!!!! I use SAM Horns but mostly Solo Sessions for my solo brass work. I would say Solo Sessions has almost no equal IMO. The horns, trombones, tubas, cimbasso all sound freakin' amazing in 24 bit on GS 3.0. Better than VSL brass which I do not like at all. For ensembles I do like and still use Silver Edition brass. I like the mod wheel ensemble horns...check this track out- all Silver baby.

Atonal Brass

I think this was one of the first little pieces I did on Silver when I first got it this summer. I think the horns sound darn great actually.

Quote Originally Posted by ed hamilton
    Anyone own SAM and VSL - same questions to you.
    I own SAM (horns, bones, trumpets) and VSL Opus 1... + other libraries.

Next on my list to get is SAM True Strike!

IMO, VSL Opus 1 is great for Strings and Woodwinds! Brass is ok, I much prefer SAM though. Percussion is not bad, but lacks both power and a large amount of instruments. Having said that though Opus 1 is without a doubt worth the money! Now that I have owned it for some time, I tend to think of it like this. I love the Strings and Woodwinds as they are my first choice, I use both ALOT. Brass and Percussion add some more colors to what I already have and are still very useable.

Personally, I dont think you can beat any of the Project SAM libraries.

Anyways, although I dont own GOLD, I hope I have helped in some way from a VSL Opus 1 perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by dcoscina
    Hey this track kicks ~~~ man! Good one! Man it's getting me hyped to receive my Gold package!!!! I use SAM Horns but mostly Solo Sessions for my solo brass work. I would say Solo Sessions has almost no equal IMO. The horns, trombones, tubas, cimbasso all sound freakin' amazing in 24 bit on GS 3.0. Better than VSL brass which I do not like at all. For ensembles I do like and still use Silver Edition brass. I like the mod wheel ensemble horns...check this track out- all Silver baby.

Atonal Brass

I think this was one of the first little pieces I did on Silver when I first got it this summer. I think the horns sound darn great actually.
    I've got to agree with you regarding your Silver brass excerpt....extraordinary to be able to do this.....at any price!! Unsettling and atmospheric piece by the way!

Frank

Go Back to forum