• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Nutcracker Ballet Dances to GPO

Share/Bookmark

The Nutcracker Ballet Dances to GPO

Four performances of the Nutcracker Ballet recently took place and GPO was used for almost the entire production.

The Nutcracker Ballet has been inspiring audiences for 100 years. I remember when I was a child my parents would take me to see the Nutcracker performed by the NYC Ballet. I never did forget the magic. Snowflakes and flowers dance, toys come to life, the mice do battle, the Christmas tree soars high, an ethereal on-stage snowstorm, Mother Ginger, the Sugar Plum Fairy and so many beautiful ballet dancers and dazzling sets. Here I am many years later and I feel like a child again experiencing the Northwest Ballet's performance of this time-honored classic.

What was really special this time is that the performance was almost all GPO! Before the curtains were raised, John Bishop, Artistic Director of the Northwest Ballet, announced: "The music you will hear tonight hasa been done by an amazing program called Garritan Personal Orchestra..."

John Bishop states: "I have danced with live orchestra most of my 30 year career in ballet ... I was not only surprised that the music Mr. Garritan produced for this year's Nutcracker by the Northwest Ballet Theatre was so incredibly crisp and sounded beautiful over the theatre's sound system, but that it was created on a computer without using a single live instrument. Listening to it, I certainly could not tell that his what not recorded by a live orchestra. I did not tell my dancers and you know what...the only comments I heard from them about the music was that it sounded 'great'. I hope to use the Garritan Personal Orchestra from now on."

The entire production was almost ann hour and a half of continuous orchestral music.

Many thanks to Danielle, Haydn, Francesco, FrankS and others who worked so hard to sequence the music for this successful performance. Especially to Haydn who did the lion's share of the sequencing for the show. Thanks also to John Biship who shared the vision for the first sequenced production of the Nutcracker. John Bishop, has been a professional dancer, choreographer, and teacher for over 30 years and has danced for many years with the American Ballet Theatre in New York as well as with major ballet companies throughout the world. An also thanks to the dancers for their sheer commitment and devotion they brought to this production.

When the video is available (and if I can get permission) I will try to post some movies. In the meantime, if there is interest I can post some MP3 demos - maybe a Nutcracker album?

Gary Garritan

PS: Next year the Northwest Ballet's production of the Nutcracker will take place at the new McIntyre Concert Hall. Next year, perhaps we'll give free tickets to anyone who will want to attend.

Thumbs up Re: The Nutcracker Ballet Dances to GPO

Bravo G~Man!
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Re: The Nutcracker Ballet Dances to GPO

Whoa! What a coup! Bravo and bravo to all involved!
    Congrats, Gary!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    In the meantime, if there is interest I can post some MP3 demos - maybe a Nutcracker album?
    I'm interested for sure!

Congrats all around.

This is great. Congrats to you and to Danielle, Haydn, Francesco, FrankS and whoever else worked on it. I for one would love to hear mp3s.
    Trent P. McDonald

Thumbs up Re: The Nutcracker Ballet Dances to GPO

Excellent! My congratulations to all! Mp3's of the music will be nice.
    Styxx

Geeze, its coming, its coming. Can't I take a stinking day off. LOL -

Gary, Of course we'd all like to have a listen.

This is great proof of the ability of modern sampling packages such as GPO to reproduce orchestral music.....I have believed for some time that, when painstakingly and sensitively sequenced, 99% of folk wouldn't be any the wiser. This proves it (yet again)

Haydn's achievement with the Beethoven demo (over a year ago!!) demonstrated/proved his talent and ability and the others in the team are all top knotch sequencists too as we have all heard many times!

This also explains the mystery disappearance, and recent reappearance of posters from this group!! I had assumed they were working on a NAMM project! Perhaps they were too!!

Congratulations to all!!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Gary, Of course we'd all like to have a listen.
    Thanks everyone. We'll try to get some cues up in the next few days.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum