• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO in Chicago Holiday Production of Cinderella - MP3 Cue

Share/Bookmark

GPO in Chicago Holiday Production of Cinderella - MP3 Cue

Last month we posted about the Chicago Thanksgiving Parade that featured grammy-nominated composer Steve Goers' music from the production of "Where the Wild Things Are".

Steve Goers mentioned he would send an excerpt and he did! Here's an the accompaniment track from "Cinderella: A Holiday Musical" by Steve Goers.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/sg-WinterBall.mp3

The show is at the Emerald City Theatre at 2936 North Southport Avenue, Chicago. Steve sets up a broadway-style pit with the traditional piano/bass/drum rhythm section, "but ALL other instruments are from GPO."

I am speechless! This is fantasic Steve. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Happy holidays and may you have continued success in 2005.

Gary Garritan

Re: GPO in Chicago Holiday Production of Cinderella - MP3 Cue

Gads, that's fantastic writing. Really skillful orchestral usage, and an absolute GPO showpiece. What fun!

Thumbs up Re: GPO in Chicago Holiday Production of Cinderella - MP3 Cue

Very nice! I'm curious as to how this is "run".

Is all the non-rhythm trio stuff sequenced into one DAW?

Is there a "conductor"?

Are tempo variation done in real time if necessary (e.g., a song has a "big finish" which just needs to be slowed down further on one night)? I assume this is sequenced -- which one?

Have you run into any Musicians' Union problems?

thanks, in advance ... and GOOD SHOW!!

KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    Very nice! I'm curious as to how this is "run".

Is all the non-rhythm trio stuff sequenced into one DAW?

Is there a "conductor"?

Are tempo variation done in real time if necessary (e.g., a song has a "big finish" which just needs to be slowed down further on one night)? I assume this is sequenced -- which one?

Have you run into any Musicians' Union problems?

thanks, in advance ... and GOOD SHOW!!
    Thanks for the comments, guys!

Kevin, I think I was unclear in my initial description to Gary - the piano/bass/drums rhythm section is still part of the accompaniment, it's just not GPO. I used the PMI Bosendorfer, Trilogy and BFD for those tracks.

This particular show is in the kid's matinee slot at the Apollo. Since there's another show immediately following, which uses a live band with a separate sound system, there was just not enough time to turn over the pit and reset the board between shows. Thus it's fully tracked with no need for a conductor. The downside, obviously, is that there's no margin for error on the cast's part! I provided a piano-only version so they could get used to tempo and form during the rehearsal process, since I was scoring madly nearly up until opening. We only had five weeks to write all the music, turn out an 8-character vocal book, then do full orchestral arrangements of six songs, two reprises, four scene changes and five sound cues. It was insane!

The union wasn't a problem. Emerald City isn't an equity house, so when they do use live musicians, they're rarely union players as the pay isn't even close to scale. The union here has gotten a lot more informed and flexible when it comes to pre-recorded scores. I did a holiday show last year in an equity house (which I didn't write, I just orchestrated and MD'd) that involved a Jewish family moving to the prairie circa 1900, and integrating their traditions with their Christian neighbors. A lot of the music had a very eastern-European Jewish feel to it. I did a pre-recorded score using sampled piano and bass and hired a violinist and clarinetist from a klezmer band that I play in (don't ask ) to lay down some lead parts. It was a cool little soundtrack, and the union was just as happy that three guys made decent bread for an afternoon's work instead of one guy making really crappy bread for six weeks.

Thanks again for the great comments!

<<on EDIT: Sorry, Kevin, I forgot you asked about the sequencer. It was all done in Sonar 4. >>

Thumbs up Re: GPO in Chicago Holiday Production of Cinderella - MP3 Cue

Wow!!

What an open and airy sound!!

IMHO GPO never sounded better. Thanks for sharing this!

Merry Xmas,

John
    Don't look at me for help, I'm a Guitar Player.

Thanks, John!

And thanks, Gary, for plugging the show One small footnote - althought the Emerald City offices are at the Southport address that Gary listed, the performances are at the Apollo Theater at 2540 N. Lincoln.

Happy holidays, everyone!

Go Back to forum