• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ambience reverb instructions...

Share/Bookmark

Ambience reverb instructions...

Would someone please point me to the instructions on how to set up and use the Ambience reverb?

Thanks and regards,

Larry G. Alexander

Re: Ambience reverb instructions...

Which computer platform?

If you are on PC with a decent CPU, I highly recommend the free SIR reverb http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html and the free 350seat and 1800seat impulses at www.noisevault.com. A little CPU hungry but sounds great (GPO examples can be found at http://ybacuo.wusik.com )

Quote Originally Posted by YBaCuO
    Which computer platform?

If you are on PC with a decent CPU, I highly recommend the free SIR reverb http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html and the free 350seat and 1800seat impulses at www.noisevault.com. A little CPU hungry but sounds great (GPO examples can be found at http://ybacuo.wusik.com )
    I have a P4 PC with one gig of RAM and a 2.4 gigahertz processor. Will that be sufficient?

Thanks and regards,

Larry G. Alexander

Yes, for one instance. I do not know how many more instances you will be able to get. For your profuse chamber works, one instance will be enough. If you are doing larger works, I have this illusion that 3 instances sound better (one close, one mid way, one far back). More than that though, requires rendering to wave ...

If you are interested in more impulses than those above, there are lots at the noisevault site - I'd be interested in knowing what you end up discovering and ultimately using!

YBaCuO

Yes, for one instance. I do not know how many more instances you will be able to get. For your profuse chamber works, one instance will be enough. If you are doing larger works, I have this illusion that 3 instances sound better (one close, one mid way, one far back). More than that though, requires rendering to wave ...

If you are interested in more impulses than those above, there are lots at the noisevault site - I'd be interested in knowing what you end up discovering and ultimately using!

YBaCuO
    Thanks for your reply.

I am still interested in trying out the Ambience reverb. Do you know where I can find instructions on how to set it up and utilize it?

Thanks,

Larry A.

Hmmm, I did a forum search fro Ambience and several other users asked similar questions and got similar asnwers that you are getting ....

I do not use the Ambience plugin. (You do know how to use a vst effect plugin?). I use the free Classic Reverb.

I just posted your question at the kvr forum:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...=869023#869023

Hopefully,
    you'll get some response.

YBaCuO

Hmmm, I did a forum search fro Ambience and several other users asked similar questions and got similar asnwers that you are getting ....

I do not use the Ambience plugin. (You do know how to use a vst effect plugin?). I use the free Classic Reverb.

I just posted your question at the kvr forum:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...=869023#869023

Hopefully,
    you'll get some response.

YBaCuO
    Thank you for your time and trouble. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Larry A.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Would someone please point me to the instructions on how to set up and use the Ambience reverb?

Thanks and regards,

Larry G. Alexander
    Larry,

Here is a mini-tutorial that Magnus Jonnson, creator of Ambience just sent.

We will develop this further into a a more complete tutorial after the holidays.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan
    MINI MANUAL FOR AMBIENCE REVERB

First check out the presets! See QUALITY below if it takes too much CPU on your machine.

The main knobs and sliders you need to know are:

- DRY
    Gain of direct (unprocessed) sound. To use Ambience as a send effect, set this to -inf.

- WET

Gain of processed sound.

- TIME
    The time it takes for the reverb echoes to die out.

- SIZE
    The size of the room. Note that long reverb time and small room size don't mix well. For natural sounds, a small room size should be acoompanied by a short reverb time, and vice verse.

- PREDELAY
    Amount of delay between the direct sound and the onset of the first echoes.

- WIDTH
    All the way from mono (0%) to wide stereo (100%). Probably you will want this one at 100% all the time.

- QUALITY

This knob allows you to trade off reverb quality for CPU usage. High quality <=> high cpu usage. You can make fun effects if you set it very low (try it!).

- VARIATION

This button creates a new variant of the same room. If there's some annoying echo/ringing in the reverb that bugs you, hit this button a few times until you find a variation that you like. If it still sounds bad to you, try raising the QUALITY too.

More advanced controls:

The best way to learn these is probably by trying them out and experimenting yourself, but i will give some hints.

- The DAMPING section
    This affects how the reverb's character develops over time as it decays. Use it to control the decay time of bass and treble. In normal rooms, bass and especially treble decay quicker than the mid range.

- The EQ section

This is like putting a big equalizer on the reverb. And in fact it is It's mostly useful for cutting away bass that can otherwise make the reverb sound muddy.

- The GATING section
    If you want natural reverb, abandon this section at once! Otherwise if you are in an experimental mood, you may use thi one to make the reverb follow the dynamics of the audio input. Can be useful if you want to preserve rhythm while still having a very wet reverb.

- HOLD
    When you press this, the reverb will freeze at it's current sound, holding it indefinitely until you press it again. Great if you want to create a lush pad from a plucked string or a hihat or whatever you can imagine. Try combining with the gater.

- DIFFUSION

This knob has a very subtle effect on the sound. It is especially noticable with small room sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Larry,

Here is a mini-tutorial that Magnus Jonnson, creator of Ambience just sent.

We will develop this further into a a more complete tutorial after the holidays.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan
    MINI MANUAL FOR AMBIENCE REVERB

First check out the presets! See QUALITY below if it takes too much CPU on your machine.

The main knobs and sliders you need to know are:

- DRY
    Gain of direct (unprocessed) sound. To use Ambience as a send effect, set this to -inf.

- WET
    Gain of processed sound.

E D I T E D FOR SPACE

- HOLD
    When you press this, the reverb will freeze at it's current sound, holding it indefinitely until you press it again. Great if you want to create a lush pad from a plucked string or a hihat or whatever you can imagine. Try combining with the gater.

- DIFFUSION
    This knob has a very subtle effect on the sound. It is especially noticable with small room sizes.

Thanks for your help, Gary.

Regards,

Ol' Larry

Thanks Gary and Magnus.

Let me know if I can help with that tutorial. I'll find some time to do it I'm sure.

Go Back to forum