• Register
  • Help

Topic: Another Composer Channel "Show" !

Share/Bookmark

Another Composer Channel "Show" !

This got lost when it failed to get bumped, so here it is again as a reminder!

As a fellow participant in the Garritan Personal Orchestra forum here on NorthernSounds, I would like to make you aware of an Internet radio program that I will be doing on “The Composer’s Channel” of Christopher Duncan’s “ShowProgramming”. Chris is putting the whole Internet radio thing together with two folks that he has worked with before on other efforts -- then I came along and “volunteered” to put in my two cents worth.

In fact, I’ve decided to call the program “Two Cents Worth”!

The format of the show is going to be simple: [1] ONLY original material (or a significant re-visiting or treatment of a formerly “classic” piece of music on the order of Schoenberg rewriting Bach or Liszt) and material which uses SOME GPO instruments; [2] I won’t be playing ANY of my work (as I think this is just too self-serving); [3] I’m running the show as a complete dictator with the ultimate choice of things to be played.

That’s pretty simple, isn’t it?

While I will be drawing from many of the original pieces submitted to TCC (“The Composer’s Channel”) I am also going to try to differentiate “Two Cents Worth” by having a featured artist (almost) for every program. We all need more exposure (and fame!) and I think it frequently helps to get a glimpse of the “artist behind the music” so if an artist is willing, I will work out a way of getting some “sound clips” and work those comments into my show. I would also be willing to feature “works in progress” – particularly if an artist has (for example) three iterations of the development of a piece that can be shared. Where this could also work is combined with commentary or narrative by the composer about how the different versions development – as well as where the piece may go further down the line. I see the “format” as being open to pretty much anything and I hope that it will develop into an interesting and compelling segment that people will want to catch.

So. What’s in it for you? Exposure, exposure and more exposure! I would like to create an invigorating, creating atmosphere where composers can feel comfortable with “exposing” themselves with the benefit of getting feedback in the form of [1] increased attention to their work, [2] feedback from other composers and fans, and [3] a little cross-pollination along the way since none of us lives in a vacuum (even out here on the garden isle of Kauai in Hawaii).

Put your thinking cap on: Are there some selections that you may have abandoned that you might think are good enough to get a hearing? Do you have 2, 3 or 4 versions of a “developing” piece that you feel okay with getting a hearing? (In some cases, I would take the liberty of perhaps excerpting sections to highlight where growth may have gone on.) I would particularly enjoy presenting material that you don’t necessarily want to give over to TCC for unlimited play but want the material only heard on “Two Cents Worth”. I will be actively chasing a few folks here in the Forum and bugging you to help make the show interesting and fun (for me, too!).

I hope that you will consider submitting “special” material to me (or pointing me to material that you have provided to TCC). I think we can together bring a unique component and perspective to TCC and thereby broaden the audience for all of us. If you’d like to email directly with your thoughts and/or ideas, please feel free to hit me at KFT2CentsWorth@AOL.com. (If you have links to material that you’d like me to hear, DO include those in any email, but please do not send music files there [yet]. When it’s time for me to hear things, we’ll work out.)

I expect to have my "premiere" show put together to go on in the first week that The Composer Channel launches and I will initially be doing a MONTHLY program. It will be two hours, so that leaves plenty of time for NEW, ORIGINAL music. Please help me make this a fun experience for all!

KevinKauai

Re: Another Composer Channel "Show" !

Hey, guys.

A slight modification to Kevin's original post is that his show is now going to exclusively feature pieces that we're not including in the regular programming. That will give the music he plays a bit of a special treatment. So, let's get your music in to him soon so that we can include the first edition of Two Cents Worth in with the initial launch of the station. We're going live in just a few weeks!

I know that some of the "new" has worn off regarding the Composer Channel, but Kevin is a highly supportive member of the community here, so let's get some support going for him and his show!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Lightbulb Re: Another Composer Channel "Show" !

BUMP!

Christopher and I have reached a compromise for the sake of simplicity of managing the selections available on The Composer Channel. Rather than get into a complicated "managing" things about "exclusive pieces" or not, I will draw from the common "pool" of selections available (with the aforementioned proviso that "Two Cents Worth" will feature only original compositions).

That still means that I would like your hearty support in terms of providing me with some new and interesting candidates -- and I will be asking individuals composers to provide me with a little "voice background" (in the form of "sound bites" that you record and email to me "introducing" your piece, if you so desire).

Clear? Y'all be in touch! I've promised Christopher that I'll have a "draft" version of my first program ready for him to hear on Monday, December 27. Don't ya be shy!

Thanks, in advance ... KevinKauai

Talking Re: Another Composer Channel "Show" !

GRATUITOUS BUMP! Well, not really.

I volunteered to do a program with The Composer Channel because I feel that I can bring a slightly different approach than simply playing selections (not that there's anything wrong with that). I want to make a series of programs that are interesting and compelling to listen to from a composer's viewpoint and that also help illustrate the creative process to friends of composers and other interested listeners.

That said, I've been struggling with various approaches (many of which I have tossed out in the previous "Announcement") and I'm not sure that I have clearly communicated to our "composer base" what I am trying to illustrate with the "Two Cents Worth" program.

Here's a recent message from someone who will hopefully be an active participant/donor to the cause:
    Hey Kevin. I've sent four songs to Chris for TCC and plan on sending more sometime soon. I am actually reworking two songs right now that are finished but I'm replacing certain instrumentation with GPO and a few other libraries. I could, in fact, let you here them anytime if you'd be interested. You can also feel free to consider anything on TCC of mine also. Then there is of course always new material in the cauldron but not quite finished. Some great ideas brewing but I just ran out of eye of newt last week so I'll have to wait to finish these. Seriously, I'm probably three to four weeks from maybe having 2 more songs. If I didnt have to work a "real" job during the day, it would happen much faster but 3 to 4 weeks is realistic. So anyway, let me know what you think and I'll be happy to help anyway I can.
    I am particularly interested in presented the evolution of compositions -- especially for those who compose in an iterative fashion. If you are blessed with simply spewing out the "finished product" in one glorious burst of creativity, I think you are probably in the minority. Many of us struggle through various stages in creating a piece of music and this would be very interesting to explore and illustrate from various points of view. I this vein, I would particularly like to be able to show 2 or 3 "previews" of a work, perhaps intermingled with "sound bites" from the composer as to how things evolved from Version 1 to Version 2 to the "final" version. (I might not always play the complete version of these steps, but I will do my best to make the representation fair and accurate. Just so you can all relax, I have no intentions here of holding anyone up to any sort of ridicule or criticism and will always do my best to present your work in the best light, as, I believe, all presentations on The Composer Channel will do.)

I hope to have a "how to" page to go over the hopefully simple steps involved in producing the raw material that I can use for the "evolution" steps outlined above. I will add a post with that link as soon as it is available.
    I've promised Christopher that I will have a "preview" version of part of a program of "Two Cents Worth" to him on Monday, Dec. 27. I welcome and encourage your participation! Feel free to email me directly at KFT2CentsWorth@aol.com .

KevinKauai

Go Back to forum