• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Action Piece

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb New Action Piece

Hi!
    This is my first try to mix orchestral sounds with synth sounds(I have only crappy synth...) and also my first bigger aproach to mix samples from more libraries (Gold, Opus, Sam)

Please listen and tell me what you think.
    Thanks.

http://www.galerieskacelik.cz/obrazky/MIX_Mp3.mp3

Re: New Action Piece

This really sounds good. It's clear and focused but still full and the instruments blend nicely together. There are only couple of minor things that would make it perfect atleast in my humble opinion. The synth sound is a bit dull as it's so mono. Some stereo effect like a phaser would spice it up nicely. The Kjaerhus Audio Golden Modulator would do the trick. I would like the strings slightly more distant. My suggestion is to attenuate the lower end with a shelving eq. I somehow don't like the rhythm in the ending hits. The hits are great but I don't like the rhythm.

Thumbs up. My sample setup is getting ready and I hope I can get it sounding as good as you have in this piece! Could you describe your setup in more detail? What do you think of the Gold hall? I have the Opus1 and Silver and a hard time deciding whether the Gold hall is a good thing for me.

Hello Handz,

I definitely see what you were going for there, kind a modern action/scifi cue. The orchestral elements sounded great, but the sequenced synth didn't seem to fit in the mix very well. Probably because of the synth patch and the repetitiveness. Electronic and orchestra can be mixed, a good example is any of the Matrix scores. There is alot of that there. The difference is an electronic cue was written as the base, and then orchestral elements were added. Looking forward to hearing more!

Liam

Janila: Thanks! I know about the synth...try to get something better...

What do you think by setup - HW or SW? Gold hall is superb, I never find a need for aditional reverb when using it an mixing with other libraies is als very easy and usefull. You can´t get wrong with gold. For example I ound that Staccatos an other short articulations from Opus don´t sound so "big" as those from GOLD....but for WW and Strings legatos, Opus is great .

Liam: Thanks for comment!
    I wanted to achieve more "retro" like sound -not modern trendy "techno beat"
    just some simple synth effect (Total recal, Commando....) but yes Sim Synth isn´t best

Quote Originally Posted by handz
    What do you think by setup - HW or SW?
    Especially the software part as you have similar choises of libraries and might help me deciding the Gold thing.

Gold hall is superb, I never find a need for aditional reverb when using it an mixing with other libraies is als very easy and usefull. You can´t get wrong with gold. For example I ound that Staccatos an other short articulations from Opus don´t sound so "big" as those from GOLD....but for WW and Strings legatos, Opus is great .
    There isn't much legato in this piece and it seems to be using mainly Gold, where are the VSL and SAM stuff used?

Janila: so, Cubase SX2, Gigastudio 2.5, Sam Bones, Trumpets, Horns, Gold, Opus1, Epic Horns, VOTA. Advanced Orchestra (AKAI).

Yes, there is no "true" legato. All brass - SAM + FH rips from GOLD, Strings - Gold + Violin runs from OPUS, PErcussions - Gold+SAM freebies, Piccolo+Flute runs - AO.
    Reverb - Waves IR-1

Quote Originally Posted by handz
    Janila: Thanks! I know about the synth...try to get something better...

Liam: Thanks for comment!
    I wanted to achieve more "retro" like sound -not modern trendy "techno beat"
    just some simple synth effect (Total recal, Commando....) but yes Sim Synth isn´t best
    Hey, I listened to that again after you mentioned you were going for more of a retro feel, and I think you nailed it. It's funny how much of a difference it makes when you have the genre or theme in your head while listening!
    I agree with you on the Gold strings, theres really nothing needed in the way of of EQ, mastering, or reverb to get a great sound out of them.

Liam

Handz, have you tried stacking the Gold strings with the Opus1 strings? The Silver and Opus1 strings sound magnificient together when mixed properly. The EWQL strings have a slightly synthetic vibe to them and the Opus1 strings are a bit lifeless. They compensate each others' faults nicely.

Liam: Thanks,

Janila: No, I never tried that, but I sure will.Problem with VSL string is, that perf_leg patches are RAM killlers and only one dynamic layer, so you must have two loaded for each section....

Go Back to forum