• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gaming Industry Bigger Than Hollywood - Blockbuster Season

Share/Bookmark

Gaming Industry Bigger Than Hollywood - Blockbuster Season

According to an article in yesterday's San Francisco Chronical, the $10 billion video game industry generates more revenue than Hollywood. And this season has been a blockbuster with so many highly anticipated titles.

It started in August with the game title Doom 3, followed by The Sims 2 in September (Andy Brick one of our members was involved with the music for Sims2). Then followed by Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas in October, then Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Half-Life 2 last month. Then a milestone was set last month when Microsoft's Halo 2 -- "a sequel to a futuristic game with an elaborate plot that pits humans against invading aliens" -- surpassed Hollywood's opening-weekend movie box office record in just one day of sales.

• $125 million: Value of total sales for the first 24 hours of Halo 2
    • $114 million: Opening-weekend gross for "Spider-Man," a Hollywood record
    An Entertainment Software Association survey showed that the average gamer is 29 years old and spends more time playing games than other forms of entertainment like watching TV or movies.

The times they are a-changing.

Gary Garritan

Re: Gaming Industry Bigger Than Hollywood - Blockbuster Season

Hmmm. I wondered when this would officially occur. I always thought the mediam hadn't matured 10 years ago when I was playing games on the NES. Its nice to see it has finally became a profit monster. 'Back in my day' it wasn't mainstream at all (of course that has its advantages.) Hopefully, with this will come better pay for videogame musicians. Of course, the trend now is away from orchestral compositions to mainstream fare and this breaks my heart. Of course, popular culture sways the vote every time so this is only part and parcel of the process. But still unfortunate, nonetheless.

I knew that gaming was getting bigger, but wow.

Now I have to figure out the best way to market myself to game developers!!!

Any ideas everyone?

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Lightbulb Re: Gaming Industry Bigger Than Hollywood - Blockbuster Season

The gaming industry has been outselling Hollywood for several years now. I think it is three years running now, but it could be four. It makes sense that this would happen, given the huge market and the high prices of games. I wonder how the profit line of each industry compares. I doubt either industry is suffering.

I have been playing games since 1982 and really enjoy them. For my kids, I prefer them playing games than watching tv. In my view, I'd rather have them trying to figure out puzzles, learn how to create tactical and strategical plans, etc. than just watching a tv. Of course, it all requires moderation. The things are just too darn addictive! My oldest boy literally taught himself how to read (the teacher told us not to help out much to see how he progresses on his own) so he could know how to load and save games and know what was happening in the game. Me second son has learned how to think through a problem from beginning to end before acting. This has transfered to his school work, amazing enough. He had a report to write and would not begin it until he had `laid out his plan'. Who would have guessed?

I don't understand why some parents write off video games as a waste of time, yet they let their kids grow into vegetables in front of the tv. (Have you seen the study where it was proven that people go into such a lethargic state while watching tv that they burn less calories than when they are sleeping? Ack!)

I guess I am writing this to let any parents out there who are unsure about video games know what our experience has been. You do have to set limits and be selective on what kids can and cannot play and that is purely subjective. As with anything else, given moderation they can be a great way for kids to have fun and develop many skills they otherwise may not.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

The biggest game will be released next year; The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion!

I can't wait for that one, it's a sequal to last year's Game of the Year, TESIII: Morrowind. Should be exciting!

BTW, TESIII: Morrowind was beatifully scored by Jeremy Soule, the guy sitting on the cliff in the GPO ad in EM! I hope Jeremy does the music for TESIV: Oblivion as well.
    Lincoln Flesch
    Diva, GPO, GOS, LastLibs Bass, Scarbee's SID, BFD, Post Emperor and the MAG.
    ---------------------------------------
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    --Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Thumbs up Re: Gaming Industry Bigger Than Hollywood - Blockbuster Season

I put entirely too many hours into Morrowwind.

The score was diverse and at times very haunting. I'll be interested in seeing what they bring up next. Kudos to Jeremy for an outstanding job!

Another series that has produced some of the best music in the industry is the Final Fantasy series. Nobuo Uematsu is beyond incredible. The number of themes he comes up with (over 50 for Final Fantasy X alone!) and the consistant quality of both music and production is unequaled. For all of you Chicago people out there, a Friends of Final Fantasy concert will be given with the Chicagoland Pops Orchestra on February 19. Given the quality and popularity of the first Friends concert in Los Angelas, it will be a night to remember. I am still trying to find an excuse to get to Chicago via work and attend the concert.

Are there any other gamers out there with favorite soundtracks? If so, lets hear about them!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    I put entirely too many hours into Morrowwind.
    Haha, diddo!

If I would put as much into my music as I do Morrowind, well... I could just quote your sig
    Lincoln Flesch
    Diva, GPO, GOS, LastLibs Bass, Scarbee's SID, BFD, Post Emperor and the MAG.
    ---------------------------------------
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    --Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Quote Originally Posted by LFO
    Are there any other gamers out there with favorite soundtracks? If so, lets hear about them!

-Kevin
    Yeah, I got lots of favorite videogame soundtracks:

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
    Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask
    Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
    Super Metroid
    Actraiser
    Suikoden 1 & 2
    Final Fantasy 7 & 8
    Lunar Silver Star Story
    Valkyrie Profile
    Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
    Banjo Kazooie
    Conkers Bad Fur Day
    Jet Force Gemini
    Some tracks from Killer Instinct 1 & 2
    Discworld Noir
    Grim Fandango
    Apprentice 1 & 2 (free online game)
    Star Ocean 1 & 2
    Luigis Mansion (yeah I know)
    Castlevania Symphony of the Night
    Castlevania 64
    Super Smash Brothers Melee (awesome stuff)
    Mario and Zelda Big Band (big band videogame remix tunes)
    The first Maximo game
    Paper Mario
    Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (wonderful game BTW)
    Chrono Trigger
    Chrono Cross
    and on and on....
    Last edited by Joseph Burrell; 12-20-2004 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Added Maximo :)

Gaming soundtracks really hit hard when the Roland MT-32 become mainstream and somewhat-affordable.

To this day, many of them still sound great despite the crude synthesis.

Check out some of the very best at: Quest Studios - I'd go straight to the MP3 page for full effect.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Andy Brick composed some music for The Sims 2? That's awesome! I hope to find that game under the tree this weekend, and will probably be addicted to it for a while.

Anyway, before these last few months in which I have been interested in music composition, my first and longest interest has been game programming. Perhaps I will get back into it in the following months, but I'm sure I'll never lose interest in music composition.

While the gaming industry is bigger than Hollywood, it is important to realize that game development is also cheaper and easier to break into. With the right amount of artistic and programming talent and hard work, a great game can be developed using only Visual C++ and PhotoShop. No need for elaborate sets, hundreds of special effects and actors. You can also buy 3rd-party 3d engines if you don't want to bother with a lot of graphics programming. It's rather nice!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum