• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gaming Industry Bigger Than Hollywood - Blockbuster Season

Share/Bookmark

Gaming Industry Bigger Than Hollywood - Blockbuster Season

According to an article in yesterday's San Francisco Chronical, the $10 billion video game industry generates more revenue than Hollywood. And this season has been a blockbuster with so many highly anticipated titles.

It started in August with the game title Doom 3, followed by The Sims 2 in September (Andy Brick one of our members was involved with the music for Sims2). Then followed by Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas in October, then Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Half-Life 2 last month. Then a milestone was set last month when Microsoft's Halo 2 -- "a sequel to a futuristic game with an elaborate plot that pits humans against invading aliens" -- surpassed Hollywood's opening-weekend movie box office record in just one day of sales.

• $125 million: Value of total sales for the first 24 hours of Halo 2
    • $114 million: Opening-weekend gross for "Spider-Man," a Hollywood record
    An Entertainment Software Association survey showed that the average gamer is 29 years old and spends more time playing games than other forms of entertainment like watching TV or movies.

The times they are a-changing.

Gary Garritan

Re: Gaming Industry Bigger Than Hollywood - Blockbuster Season

This doesn't surprise me. Video games have become such a huge market of late. They were already really big, now they're colossal. Think of all the money pulled in by every game based off LOTR.

Incidentally, what role did Andy play in the Sims 2 soundtrack? I thought Mothersbaugh and Clement scored it?
    Sam Hulick
    Composer
    http://www.samhulick.com/

The biggest game will be released next year; The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion!

I can't wait for that one, it's a sequal to last year's Game of the Year, TESIII: Morrowind. Should be exciting!

BTW, TESIII: Morrowind was beatifully scored by Jeremy Soule, the guy sitting on the cliff in the GPO ad in EM! I hope Jeremy does the music for TESIV: Oblivion as well.
    Lincoln Flesch
    Diva, GPO, GOS, LastLibs Bass, Scarbee's SID, BFD, Post Emperor and the MAG.
    ---------------------------------------
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    --Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Thumbs up Re: Gaming Industry Bigger Than Hollywood - Blockbuster Season

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    According to an article in yesterday's San Francisco Chronical, the $10 billion video game industry generates more revenue than Hollywood. And this season has been a blockbuster with so many highly anticipated titles.

It started in August with the game title Doom 3, followed by The Sims 2 in September (Andy Brick one of our members was involved with the music for Sims2). Then followed by Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas in October, then Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Half-Life 2 last month. Then a milestone was set last month when Microsoft's Halo 2 -- "a sequel to a futuristic game with an elaborate plot that pits humans against invading aliens" -- surpassed Hollywood's opening-weekend movie box office record in just one day of sales.

• $125 million: Value of total sales for the first 24 hours of Halo 2
    • $114 million: Opening-weekend gross for "Spider-Man," a Hollywood record
    An Entertainment Software Association survey showed that the average gamer is 29 years old and spends more time playing games than other forms of entertainment like watching TV or movies.

The times they are a-changing.

Gary Garritan

Right now the game industry all together makes more than the domestic (ie North American) box office gross of films. This does not include rental or sales (which is actually where most of the money is made) or over seas receipts. However, the game industry has grown remarkably (and will continue to grow) while films have become stagnant.

Cheers and thanks for the interesting post Gary.

Christiaan

Jade Empire!

I had heard that the gaming industry beat Hollywood in 2000 and the gap has just been growing ever since. It is a mighty big industry.

And soon, EVERYONE will work for EA....everyone on the entire planet.

It'll be EA_Spouse_World.
    Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

homepage

No doubts its a huge industy. Unfortunately its also a young industry that is still sorting out its development methodologies, production cycles etc. (Especially for audio)

Two years ago, at a gaming development conference I attended, they said that 80% of all games made never get published.

There is a top echelon of companies making huge revenues but sadly there are multitudes of small and independant developers going out of business every day.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Sounds like a lot of the more mature industries to me Scott (books/plays/poetry/etc.) but unfortunate nonetheless.

Speaking of the influence of games, however, has anyone else read the new book "Got Game" from Harvard Business School Press. It's a very interesting read as far as the implications of the effect the industry has made on the rising workforce and I love to hear other people's thoughts on it.

hehee ea spouse world

I dunno

49 bucks for a video game

10 bucks for a movie ticket

Just to keep things in perspective... you know

I mean yah $$$ pretty awesome... but we all know where that leads

sequels to crappy games jsut to make more $$$.... oh wait, we're already there. No WONDER its doing so well

j/k There's some great stuff out there.

BTW, I remember seeing the first Elder Scrolls game at a CES i think....jeez ... I remember going...hey thats kinda cool....and then the game's series jsut blew up!!
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

An interesting note about content reuse issue: Keep in mind that one of the series that saw the greatest growth during the late 90s, both in terms of market and budget, was the Final Fantasy series. Other than a handful of cameos (usually just chocobos and moogles) the series created a new world for each of the games all the way until they made a direct sequel to X with the release of the Disney-esque X-2. I am unaware of any series in Hollywood that has been willing to go that far in terms of new content for each entry into the series nor any series that's essentially defined only by it's genre and creative team.

In addition, from a musical perspective, Nobuo Uematsu (responsible for all the music in Final Fantasy I-IX) creates a wealth of new thematic material for each game that dwarfs movie projects in the number of themes required for each game. Concurrently, there only three pieces of thematic material that have gotten significant reuse throughout the series:1) The Chocobo theme. 2) The Prelude theme. 3) The Prologue theme. For Final Fantasy IX, including thematic variations etc., he put together over one hundred cuts that got used in the project.

Now video games and computer games certainly have their share of Hollywood style franchises but Hollywood has no analogue to games like the Final Fantasy series. Just some food for thought.

Go Back to forum