• Register
  • Help

Topic: alternating bow strokes and legato: a different approach?

Share/Bookmark

alternating bow strokes and legato: a different approach?

From everything that I've read thus far, it appears that to create legato you simply press the sustain pedal for the duration of the passge you want legato and for alt strokes you lift the pedal for each note... The second sounds laborious... So my questions is can you do it after the fact?? In other words, play the line, make sure you get the timing right and the performance right and then add the sustain/legato for the passage... That's seems doable and simple, I think... However, it still seems very labrious to pedal on/off after each note... Has anybody written a little application to do this? Like a CAL program in Sonar or in VB in general or something?? Just wondering...

Re: alternating bow strokes and legato: a different approach?

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    can you do it after the fact?
    Yes you can.

But in the updated version of GPO, the new key-switched versions of the strings have automatic up/down bowing as one of the key-switch options. A key-switch is just a note outside the playable range of the instrument. In the case of the solo violins, for example, the note for turning on automatic up/down bowing is D3 ("3" at least for me).

Legato is produced by putting a CC64 value > 64 immediately after the first note in the legato phrase and a CC64 value < 64 after the last note in the phrase. The CC64 causes the attack envelope to be bypassed. This can be done after the line has been entered/played.
    Bill

Re: alternating bow strokes and legato: a different approach?

Thanks Bill for your reply... so, that's good by pressing a key outside the general range you activate the key switching... Makes life easy...

Go Back to forum