• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need suggestions for new computer build - Please help

Share/Bookmark

Question Need suggestions for new computer build - Please help

Hi Everyone,

I need to have a new computer built soon, and am a little confused now after reading a few of the posts here. The problem that I'm having with my current computer is that I just don't have enough RAM to get the job done. I've upgraded as far as I can (1 GIG RAM). I'm considering one of the new 64 bit systems from DAW, and figured since I'm already going to be spending the money, why not go all the way and get the 8 GIG's of RAM!?! After reading some of the posts here, I'm wondering if I'd just be wasting my money? I will be running several libraries (GPO, Gold, PA2, SOV, maybe more later), as well as Sonar 4 Pro - Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Re: Need suggestions for new computer build - Please help

Windows cannot use more than 2 GB at any time, so until Longhorn comes out, don't waste your money on extra RAM...just get the fastest RAM.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

2GB of ram is about the maximum you can go before your PCI bus can't handle the bandwidth. Even with 3GB you could get dropouts. That is why people have multiple computers to run zillions of samples. The only computer I know of that can utilize 4GB of ram for samples is the PowerMac Dual G5. If you go PC, you'd need two PC's, but could be a lot cheaper too. Also, there's a lot of Pentium 4 users, but I am personally an AMD fan. As far as the technology curve goes, AMD has Intel by the balls, not to mention they are MUCH cheaper. Pay for the best processor, not a name. Go to CNN.com and research some articles if you don't believe me. All my systems are AMD Athlon XP's. I wish I had the AMD 64's...that'll happen in the future.

So yeah....2GB is your limit on today's PC's until it starts to get redundant.

Jared

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    More than 2GB? That's overkill. Remember, Bill Gates himself said: "64k of RAM is all anyone should ever need."

Lee Blaske
    I thought it was 640K of RAM

Thanks for your help! I'm computer illiterate, so please forgive me, but would it make a difference it I split the 2 hard drives? Would it then be like having 2 computers or does it not work like that?

Go Back to forum