• Register
  • Help

Topic: Scarbee Imperial Drums - how are the cymbals?

Share/Bookmark

Scarbee Imperial Drums - how are the cymbals?

I was about to buy SIB.
    The demos were great and I could easily hear that it would fill out my drum libs nicely.
    But I REALLY need super cymbals. Lot's of velocities - Lot's of cymbals. Brushes too.

Looking through the SIB info I found next to nothing about cymbals and it gave me pause before I purchased.

Anyone either have SIB or more info about it - I would appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Thumbs up Re: Scarbee Imperial Drums - how are the cymbals?

Your best bet would be to try the Scarbee Forums

BTW, they just started a new "Mystic Percussion" discussion area...

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: Scarbee Imperial Drums - how are the cymbals?

Hey Houston - thanks for the suggestion.
    I did spend a couple hours looking through the scarbee forum.
    The questions asked by users are all interesting but the replies by scarbee staff were - well - I will be kind here - let's just call the replies BRIEF!
    And cryptic about any future plans to say the least.

One guy asked about the memory reduced patches that are mentioned in their promo literature - The moderator told him to MAKE THEM UP HIMSELF!

I think this is the first time that I was about to buy a product and after spending time in it's dedicated forum - got cold feet and did not buy it.

So I posted here hoping for more complete suggestions.

Mystic percussion may be a namm announcement but SIB details are lacking.

But thanks again for the suggestion - Your posts are always excellent!

ed

Exclamation Re: Scarbee Imperial Drums - how are the cymbals?

You've got to cut them some slack. It's time to ramp up for NAMM, with MusikMesse right on its heels - and like many other developers, they're a small outfit. They've got both their VKFX plugs as well as the Mystic Percussion far enough along to talk about it on a forum, and Simeon has posted on the HALion forum that he's doing an extensive re-vamp of SID for HALion 3. So I'd imagine that everyone is busy. In fact, I don't think you'll be hearing too much from any developer between New Year and the third week of January. If you log in and actually ask them about a released product, instead of something they plan to do in the future, you'd probaby get a more technical answer.

I remember the hi-hat just being an insane amount of samples, and they specifically mention that they didn't record each hit out to total silence, or they'd need to take a 40-second snip - for a hat! I'll scan the docs and take a look at the file count and some of the sizes in the programming structure and see if a clear-enough picture develops to provide here.

As far as being told to "program your own", I agree with them. I was brought up on the notion of editing and creating my own samples (in fact, I started learning about electronic music with a 1/4 half-track, a few tone generators, a razor blade, cutting block, splicing tape, and a grease pencil). In HALion and to an extent Kontakt, it's relatively easy to strip layers out of a program, compensate by filling in with the remaining layers and save a reduced sample-set voice. So their recommendation is not a cold "do it yourself" statement, but an acknowledgement that with the power and programmability of modern samplers, it's relatively easy to tailor things to your needs without too much fuss.

I saw the High Hat in the listings and I love the thought of that many layers + stick placements !!!

The cymbals sound great on the demos - just can't find much about them in the literature.

Houston -on another note - I just checked out your site.
    Really well done! Your demos are great and the whole site looks top notch.
    I am sure it was a lot of work!

Thanks for the input on SID.

Heh - thanks. My site's from a Swish Template. Even though it took some time for me to set up a few things, most of the hard work was done by someone else. I just finished some extra scoring for an indie feature that used SID quite a bit, but they just got out of the dub and I'm waiting for official permission to put them up.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    My site's from a Swish Template.
    What's a Swish template?
    And why am I the last one to learn about such obviously cool things!!
    Still looks great however you did it.

So - how are the cymbals in SID?????? The drums sound great and very much my taste.

thanks for everything

I'm not doing audio tonight - I'm actually testing out a new water cooling system on the machine that I'm typing on right now. After it settles in (and the new HALion update is released) I'll go through. Trust me - with the number of samples it will take some time. It's not like looking through the yellow pages for a Chinese restaurant that delivers...

BTW, if you're bored - you can catch some early thread on Yamaha's acquisition of Steinberg...

Quote Originally Posted by ed hamilton
    One guy asked about the memory reduced patches that are mentioned in their promo literature - The moderator told him to MAKE THEM UP HIMSELF!

ed
    Hi Ed,

as you can imagine we are very busy developing new ideas: there is no doubt that SId will be developed... a very good HALion 3 update is coming and all of the other news cannot be anticipated right now for many reasons (including some legal ones).

I am sorry you misunderstood my post on the Scarbee forum:
    In SID you can find many many 'light' patches, meaning the drums (bass, drum, snare, hi hat...) but there are not ready to load kits made out of those single programs, is this clear enough?

So: if you want to make up a light kit you need to load each singe 'light' drum... I decided not to do the light versions of the kits since nobody seemed to ask for them during beta testing, but the new HALion 3 update will have some changes in this regard.

If you want to know anything about the cymbals just feel free to write to me privately.

Thanks anyway for you interest in SID (not SIB, btw).

Best regards,

Simone Coen
    Simone Coen
    Musician, Producer, Sample Library Producer
    www.chocolateaudio.com

Go Back to forum