• Register
  • Help

Topic: UAD-1...Project Pak or Studio Pak?

Share/Bookmark

Question UAD-1...Project Pak or Studio Pak?

Hi everyone. I'm stuck between purchasing the Project Pak and Studio Pak for the UAD-1. THe Project Pak comes in at around $400USD, but the full version Studio Pak is $900USD. Is there anyone here that has had experience with both? I'm wondering if the extra price is worth it, since some of the plug-ins seem to have some redundancy within the upgrade.

I've heard very good things about these plugs, but would like to have some more user input before taking the plunge.

Thanks for any advice,
    Mike

Re: UAD-1...Project Pak or Studio Pak?

Don't buy the Project Pak even if it seems cheap. It doesn't include any of the plugins that have made the UAD famous. It has only a limited version of the 1176 and no LA-2A and the price for those two alone is $298. The Studio Pak includes those and the Dreamverb, Cambridge EQ and Fairchild compressor. The Mackie edition is perhaps the best deal if you can find one as you can buy the Dreamverb, Cambridge and Fairchild separately (if you happen to need them) for it and still get the package for the same price as the Studio Pak. If the Studio Pak is too expensive for you then you should check out the Powercore Element. It doesn't have as stunning list of compressors as the UAD Studio Pak but even the reverbs alone are worth the price and the rest of the plugins are very usable too.

It all depends what you want from the UAD-1. Remember that you can purchase any or all of the extra plugins if you need them, and the Project Pak has 14 day demos of all of them, so you can choose a la carte.

Another thing to bear in mind is that there is usually a promotion on at the Universal Audio website for a free plugin on registering your UAD-1 - in my case, the first card got me a free LA-2A ($149 saving), and the second enabled me to download the Pultec Pro ($79 I think, without looking) free.

Of course if you know you're going to need all of the Studio Pak plugs it would make more sense to go down that route, but an even better bet would be to go for the Mackie version, as mentioned above.

As for the Powercore... personally speaking I had nothing but trouble with mine, and eventually sold it on Ebay to fund the second UAD-1!

Cheers

Ron

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by unconscious sound
    Hi everyone. I'm stuck between purchasing the Project Pak and Studio Pak for the UAD-1. THe Project Pak comes in at around $400USD, but the full version Studio Pak is $900USD. Is there anyone here that has had experience with both? I'm wondering if the extra price is worth it, since some of the plug-ins seem to have some redundancy within the upgrade.
    If you're out for a mere collection of "bread-and-butter"-plugins that take the load away from your CPU, you might be okay with the project pak. But as someone said in an earlier post, most of the truly interesting plug-ins are omitted - after all, the UAD guys didn't get their "mad scientist" status for nothing
    Also, don't be misguided by the fact that the studio pak includes 5 different compressors and 4 different EQs alone (I take it your comment regarding redundancy was targeted at this), as each of them has a very distinctive character. For example, the Cambridge EQ is an exceptionally clean "surgery" EQ, while the pultec EQs have a very distinct, warm "vintage" feel to them.
    So if you're into more sophisticated sound tweaking, I'd suggest you save the project pak for getting more cards once you're addicted.

Cheers,
    jan

Thumbs up Re: UAD-1...Project Pak or Studio Pak?

Thanks everyone, for your help. I ordered the Studio Pak today, so I'll have the full set of plug-ins. I do hope that they have a promotion going on at www.uaudio.com when I register. I'd like to pick up their new plate reverb plug-in. I heard from users that it is very very good for a plate verb.

About redundancy, I was referring to multiple comps and eqs. But, I can understand the need and want for having different flavors, since different types of music benefit from different tools used to do the job. It'll be nice having a full arsenal at my disposal.

Best,
    Mike

Good choice, Mike, you won't regret it.

I just bought UAD-1 project PAK and I'm totally overwhelmed by the quality of the plugins. It's definitely worth the money!

/Tobias

Hey Tob, so your happy with just the Project Pak? Do you plan to purchase any other plugs for the card?

I have a Powercore card already but plan to add a UAD card early next year.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by unconscious sound
    Thanks everyone, for your help. I ordered the Studio Pak today, so I'll have the full set of plug-ins. I do hope that they have a promotion going on at www.uaudio.com when I register. I'd like to pick up their new plate reverb plug-in. I heard from users that it is very very good for a plate verb.
    It's indeed very good, but they're not likely to give it away in the near future, since they just came out with it. With the current promotion, you'll get the Pultec Pro mid-range EQ for free, which costs $79 regularly. (I didn't know about this until the pultec's "authorized" flag got checked when I loaded my authorization key file... talk about an xmas surprise )

Cheers,
    jan

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Hey Tob, so your happy with just the Project Pak? Do you plan to purchase any other plugs for the card?

I have a Powercore card already but plan to add a UAD card early next year.
    Ah, sorry, I meant Studio Pak. I bought it just for the compressors and the limiters, but now I'm using the eq and the reverbs all the time. I think I'm gonna buy the new Plate as well.. really dense sound. Tried to mix the plate with the dreamverb.. man, that was just beautyful.

/Tobias

Go Back to forum