• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: complete guide to game audio

complete guide to game audio

Hey. I just bought the book "the complete guide to game audio" by aaron marks. Just wondering if anyone else has read it and what your input is on it. Thanks.

Re: complete guide to game audio

I havent read it, but from what I can gather from reading varrious message boards its the book that everyone recommends

Have I read it?.... I'm in it!
    Chris Rickwood

Damn good book.

Great book. Probably the best aspects are the advice on what to ask for in contracts. The info on recommended hardware is a bit outdated by now.
    - SCA - Sound Studios -

Thanks for the responses!! Looking forward to the read.

I'm currently reading the book -- seems like a great guidebook to get started in the bus. Only one question -- are those figures real for how much one should ask for a game? It seems a bit outlandish -- are people really making that much?

Also, and I don't mean for anyone to give up their secrets or anything, but how do you get your foot in the door when it comes to game scoring? I've done a bazillion movies, but can't seem to land a gig in the gaming world. Any advice?

Paul Bergel

Hi, I think you'll soon discover what the market can afford in your region and at your level of experience in gaming. Just like film, an independant game doesnt have the same budget or pay-rate as a blockbuster or AAA title.

Kind of like an actor too, we tend to start on small games with next to no budget. You really have to work your way up to the top.

There's already lots of advice in this forum to getting started but a couple of points;

- approach developers and publishers
    - start by working on mods or student games
    - go to industry conferences, etc.
    - network, get to know people in the industry
    - play lots of games (no joke, you'll relate to this industry and the people in it more if you know whats going on and have a passion for games.)

Also check out;

www.flipcode.net www.garagegames.com www.audiogang.org www.gamasutra.com
    - SCA - Sound Studios -

I've read the book multiple times. I think it is an amazing resource. It is detailed, information-filled, and encouraging. It covers technical, creative, and business aspects of game audio. I even emailed the author (Aaron), and he was very gracious and helpful. I can't recommend the book enough. I think it's required reading for anyone new to game audio.
    Todd Kinsley
    Sound Designer

Yeah it seems like a really great book -- i'm about three-quarters of the way through it and I cannot put it down! I wish there were books like that on other kinds of composing! (If i would have had a great guide like that when I began film scoring, I'd be a much happier man!!)

Thank you all for your advice, I really can't thank you enough -- Paul

Go Back to forum