• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Steinberg bought by Yamaha

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb Steinberg bought by Yamaha (revisited)

Hey folks - I just caught a press release on Yahoo about 1/2 hour ago, and it looks to be interesting.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041221/sftu007_1.html

Pinnacle Systems Enters Into Agreement to Sell Steinberg Audio Software Business to Yamaha Corporation
    Tuesday December 21, 12:01 am ET

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Dec. 21 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Pinnacle Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq: PCLE - News), a leader in digital video solutions, today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to sell its Hamburg, Germany-based Steinberg audio software business to Yamaha Corporation. The transaction, which is subject to regulatory approval, is expected to be completed during Pinnacle's third fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2005.

"Steinberg's accomplishments and leadership in the professional audio software industry are directly inline with Yamaha's long track record of success in that same industry," said Patti Hart, Pinnacle Systems Chairman and CEO. "We believe the deal is beneficial to both Pinnacle and Yamaha, and is absolutely the right move for Steinberg."

As part of the transaction, Steinberg and Pinnacle will cross-license certain intellectual property on a royalty-free basis and Pinnacle will continue to distribute Steinberg's WaveLab Lite audio editing product with Pinnacle Studio Media Suite.

"For Pinnacle Systems this decision continues to tighten the company's focus on our core strengths in the digital video solutions market," continued Hart. "We believe it also allows us to bring greater management and financial resources to leverage our core strengths in digital video for long-term market leadership and growth."

Pinnacle entered the audio business in January 2003 when it acquired Steinberg Media Technologies A.G., a market leader in professional audio software that was founded in 1984.
    So here's the topic of discussion: what, if any, potential changes do you see for the sample/virtual instrument industry with this change? Do you think there will be specific moves made by this company in this sector of the industry, or will it just be a matter of two big players in two seprate fields now making more waves than before and "splashing" the sampling enthusiasts along the way?
    Last edited by Houston Haynes; 07-22-2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: updated thread with a new post
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: Yamaha bought by Steinberg

I think it is a good move by Yamaha, especially since they have already collaborated with Steinberg on their Studio Manager software.

This will allow Yamaha to further integrate their hardware with software.

P.S. - Little know fact: Yamaha owns some portion of Korg (I can't ever find out how much).

Re: Steinberg bought by Yamaha

Thanx God.

Interesting development. Gazing into my Crystal Geyser sports water bottle, I don't think we'll see much immediate (year or three) change in any of their policies/products except logo. But five years down the road, what might Yamaha do with the Steinberg technology?

They have the resources (and the stones) to evolve untested ideas into hardware - remember the DX7; that was one man on a mainframe and some equations before Yamaha. Afterwards it was a major new way of producing electronic sound. It's dated now, but still is a particular class of sonic mathematics that remains distinctive and valid in the compositional pallette.

I'm looking forward to the hybrid child of this new union - the Yamberg.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I just switched to Cubase SX (From SONAR) a few months ago and I must say it's an amazing piece of software achievement. Steinberg is however in desperate need of reorganization with regards to their customer relations. I truly hope Yamaha, being the empire of digital sound technology it is, can help Steinberg iron out a few issues. I doubt we'll see a less buggy Cubase/Nuendo as a result of this sale, though. I'm pretty sure Steinberg will keep their current staff and not have anyone from Yamaha impose on their work.

On a side note, while we're on about Yamaha: Anyone know what happened to Yamaha's VL1/70m products? It looks like they made a rather curious decision not to sustain development of physical modelling. The VL1/7(0m)'s are awesome, even by today's standards. I believe both of them were discontinued. At least I'm having a hard time aquiring one. The Vl70 engine was actually featured in a free software based midi player for windows, but with a latency around 200ms it was utterly useless for music production. I wish they'd just release a VSTi plug-in of the VL1 or at least the VL70.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_J
    On a side note, while we're on about Yamaha: Anyone know what happened to Yamaha's VL1/70m products? It looks like they made a rather curious decision not to sustain development of physical modelling. The VL1/7(0m)'s are awesome, even by today's standards. I believe both of them were discontinued. At least I'm having a hard time aquiring one. The Vl70 engine was actually featured in a free software based midi player for windows, but with a latency around 200ms it was utterly useless for music production. I wish they'd just release a VSTi plug-in of the VL1 or at least the VL70.
    OT reaction: the technology is still available as plugin board for for instance s90, motif and motif es, called PLG-VL boards. They can be controlled (of course) by breathcontrol, just like the vl70m's.

Maybe they'll do an all in one controller/mixer/sequencer/audio recorder/mastering all in one unit! No computer required!
    Later
    Bri

Yamberg?

You better trademark that name before they do. Then you can sell it to them at millions of dollars worth of profit.

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    I don't think we'll see much immediate (year or three) change in any of their policies/products except logo. But five years down the road, what might Yamaha do with the Steinberg technology?
    Look like they're already 4 years, 364 days ahead of your schedule -

LINK ==> Studio Connections

Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: Yamaha bought by Steinberg

This could mean better tech support and development as Yamaha has more resources.

Knowing Yamaha (I love my Motif), the manuals will now become twice as hard to figure out.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast