• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: License

Share/Bookmark

Question License

Hello,

Has anyone read the License Agreement for Garritan Personal Orchestra?

Does anyone understand it?

It seems completely restrictive to me - you cannot sell anything you create and you cannot change any of the sounds ... "reasonable musical purposes" is all we are allowed - whatever that means

Has anyone had any issues with this , or have I completely misunderstood the Agreement?

Thanks

andycragg

Re: License

Quote Originally Posted by andycragg
    It seems completely restrictive to me - you cannot sell anything you create and you cannot change any of the sounds ... "reasonable musical purposes" is all we are allowed - whatever that means
    That can't be right... people are selling a lot of music created with GPO, for TV shows, theater pieces, etc. I'd have to read the license agreement again, but perhaps Gary will have to clarify that? I'm planning on selling many copies of a CD which uses GPO sounds, so I'd like to know for sure that's not the case.

Ah, I just read it, and that's not at all what it says, only that the sounds and/or any modified version of the sounds cannot be resold. That's what I thought...

Here's the relevant part-

With this library, you are obtaining a license for your use only. The sounds, samples and programming in the Garritan Personal Orchestra™ library remain the property of Gary Garritan and harps.com Corp. and are licensed (not sold) to you for use in music production, public performance, and reasonable musical purposes within musical compositions.This license expressly forbids resale or other distribution of these sounds, either as they exist on these discs or any modification thereof. Any duplicating, copying, distributing, transferring, uploading or downloading, trading or reselling of this Garritan Personal Orchestra library or any of the contents therein is strictly prohibited. You cannot sell, loan, share, rent, lease, loan, trade, reissue, resell nor assign any or all of the enclosed sounds to anyone. You cannot redistribute them through an archive, nor a collection, nor through the internet, nor a binaries group nor newsgroup, nor any type of removable media nor through a network. The sounds and samples contained herein cannot be edited, digitally altered, re-synthesized or manipulated without direct written consent of Gary Garritan. The enclosed sounds cannot be re-used in any other commercial sample library or any competitive product.

A right to use any of the samples and sounds in Garritan Personal Orchestra is granted to the original end-user only, and this license is not transferable unless there is written consent of Gary Garritan/harps.com, Corp. or their representative and payment of an additional fee. Licensor will not be responsible if the content of this disc does not fit the particular purpose of the Licensee.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Not to hijack a thread...

That last paragraph addresses my concerns that I mentioned in my 1st post here (My friend offered to give me her copy of GPO as she doesn't use it anymore). Glad I decided to wait until I'm able to purchase after Christmas.

Well, just in case anyone reading was/is in my situation...

Carry on
    Arturo Toscanini (1867-1957) to his orchestra - "Assassins!"

Exclamation Re: License

Okay, andy. You're not a lawyer and you don't play one on TV, either.

Like all sample libraries, the language you are reading is specifically aimed at repackaging the samples in the library. (In other words, you can't resample the instruments on here and sell them as "your" library.)

That's totally it!

i hope this helps ... KevinKauai

I'm sure Gary will chime in here when he has time but Shazbot and Kevin are correct. The purpose of the library is to be used (as designed) in your music projects and the license grants you that right. It would make little sense to offer a sample library of instruments and not let you use those instruments in your music. The restrictions apply to the raw samples which may not be used or re-used to create other sample products.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    I'm sure Gary will chime in here when he has time but Shazbot and Kevin are correct. The purpose of the library is to be used (as designed) in your music projects and the license grants you that right. It would make little sense to offer a sample library of instruments and not let you use those instruments in your music. The restrictions apply to the raw samples which may not be used or re-used to create other sample products.

Tom
    PERIOD!
    Styxx

Talking Re: License

This a great relief as tomorrow is the world radio premier of my composition “Sample and Hold” – an experimental piece in which I play every note of every GPO instrument (at velocity levels 0-127) chromatically up the scale and hold each one for 5 seconds. A six million dollar commission! – Whew! Had me worried for a moment!

Just Kidding!

P.S. I can feel Gary up in cyberspace reaching for his trout to slap me with.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    ... an experimental piece ...
    Thanks for all the replies and I think I understand it now but the Agreement is not well worded (spot the typo in it).

And that was something else I thought of - the experimental piece jokingly refered to is not allowed, so that IS a restriction - where does it stop in law?

How non-musical does any piece have to be before it contravenes the Licence?

I think Mr Garritan could sue the lot of us if he wanted, such is the loose wording of the Agreement. It seems to rely on the word "sound" which should probably be "sample" (and have some definition).

I'm no lawyer (how did you guess) but I've never stopped short of installing a piece of software after reading the licence agreement before.

I think I know the spirit of the Agreement and will probably install it, lets hope Mr Garritan doesn't fall on hard times and looks to his lawyers ...

Cheers,

Andy

Hehe!

Dude…If you write music with integrity and in good faith (which I have no doubt that you do), it will never be an issue (or a limmitation).

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Andy, just relax. As far as I know, you're the only one who had trouble understanding the agreement. It seems pretty clear to me. Anyway, I'm not at all worried about Gary suing anybody.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum