• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can you use RMX to do this????

Share/Bookmark

Question Can you use RMX to do this????

I have listened to and watched the RMX demos on Spectrasonics' web site. I see how RMX can create grooves but can you create a whole song with it? For instance can you create an 8 bar intro, a 16 bar verse (with fills leading up to the chorus), a 16 bar chorus, etc and then put them all together to create a 4-5 minute pop song?

Also can you just play the sounds "live" into Cubase, etc and have RMX work as basically as a sound source? In other words play the kick, snare, hi-hats etc by hand. (I know, I know so primative. ex-drummer who likes to hit things!)

Does the actual soundset cover a lot of ground? Are there nice drum kits? Stormdrum type bangs and huge hits? Or is it all mostly techno type stuff?

And last, does it come with "big hair?" I've lost a few over the years and want to get back to the "palm tree" hairdos!!!!!

All the very best,

Darren

Re: Can you use RMX to do this????

I think your question is the same I have, can you use it as a regular sample single hit "sampler" and not only for grooves? Ive been looking at it a lot but I dont use grooves only single hits.
    Regards

The short answer to all of your questions is: yes it does that.

You could have a groove menu set up so that hitting C plays your 8m. intro, C# plays your 16m loop, etc.

There are tons of single hit kits (and you can build your own). Or, with groove control you can use the hits in existing loops to make your own beat.

And, it does have a lot of sounds beyond techno stuff... Storm Drum-ish big hits, ethnic, etc...

Not sure about the hair though... my receding hairline isn't getting any better yet.

Thumbs up Re: Can you use RMX to do this????

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    can you create an 8 bar intro, a 16 bar verse (with fills leading up to the chorus), a 16 bar chorus, etc and then put them all together to create a 4-5 minute pop song?

This is exactly how I work with RMX

I use one instance in loop mode that I can drag patterns and any variations created with chaos into Logic's arrange window.

I then use another instance in kit mode to overlay tom rolls, cymbals and any other single hit noises I want to add to the track.

I also sometimes tweak the loop slices to create further variations such as dropping out snare of the quiet bits.

It does sound like a drummer rather than a machine by the time i've finished,

Yep, you can do single hits with it and I started out as a drummer too but I'll tell ya this...If you use it and end up not using some of the loops, you have more will power than me I absolutely love using the stereo moving type rythyms in the intro, verse to help keep the quieter parts of the song more interesting and then using killer in your face programmed drums in the chorus,etc....Think of it kind of like a drum machine with much MUCH cooler presets that you can manipulate to fit whatever your working on....

RMX almost makes my coffee!

Go Back to forum