• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO and Finale on a MAc

Share/Bookmark

GPO and Finale on a MAc

I hate to post something that has already been discussed, but I've read all the threads (here and at Finale's forum) on this and still haven't figured out how to fix my problem. I even called Finale's tech support number and they were no help. Every time I start Finale it say's it was expecting to find GPO and lists all the players 1-8. And each time I have to go into the Midi Set-up and re-enter all the players. Apparently Finale is looking for GPO in Audio-Midi set-up. Should I add a new midi device and call it GPO? If so can you have the device show 8 inputs for each individual player? Or am I way off base here being new to Mac's? Help! When I had GPO on my old PC this was never a problem.
    Power Mac G5, dual 2.5, 2.5 gb ram, SATA 160 gb interanl, SATA 80 gb interanl, Lacie 200 gb external FW 800

Re: GPO and Finale on a MAc

GPO standalone or GPO Studio create virtual MIDI ports in CoreMIDI which are seen by Finale. If you launch Finale first, it will be expecting to see the same MIDI devices available. Try launching GPO (or Studio) first, then Finale...

Brian

Actually,
    MM3479

I have this same problem. Everytime I launch Finale 2004 with GPO studio already running, it still tells me that it cannot find GPO studio players it was expecting.

What version of Finale do you have? I wonder if 2005 fixed this?

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I just confirmed this, my last reply was just a guess. I have Finale 2005 and it loses the port assignments regardless of whether GPO studio is running when Finale is launched.

Quote Originally Posted by bmonroney
    I just confirmed this, my last reply was just a guess. I have Finale 2005 and it loses the port assignments regardless of whether GPO studio is running when Finale is launched.
    Darn!!

I was hoping this was a Finale 2004 issue or something. Maybe it is a OS X Panther problem? I never had this problem while running Jaguar. I switched to Panther right about the same time the new updates came out, so it might be either the new updates or Mac OS X 3 (or just a Finale problem no one wants to admit).

Who knows. Just a little more time spent each time opening up Finale, reassigning the ports. Not a biggie, just a pain.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

We should all post a suggestion to MakeMusic tech support that they look into this issue, I suspect it is Finale and not an OS or GPO Studio problem.

It might be a GPO Studio "bug", I've recently found out that when an application creates virtual ports it should assign a persistant unique identifier to these ports (after reading through an header file for something else, wouldn't have
    known about it otherwise) instead of having the OS assigning it automatically
    and giving a different unique identifier each time they are created.

I suppose that Finale uses these unique identifier to remember which ports
    to use.

Anyway, sorry about the inconvenient...

seb's explanation sounds the most reasonable because if you notice, Finale does show the old GPO Studio instances, they are just in italics. Just like a keyboard that had been unplugged. When the menu is pulled down we see a list consisting of the last instances of GPO and the new ones.

I also concur that it makes no difference which app is started first. I will say, to me, this is not a huge problem. I didn't realize it was not supposed to do this. I just figured it was something I had to get used to, so I did. But, that is me! If they were to fix this, it would be a kind of bonus function to me!

Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum