• Register
  • Help

Topic: Favorite improvised solo's any instrument

Share/Bookmark

Favorite improvised solo's any instrument

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Any improvised solos that have really influenced you from any instrument.

Re: Favorite improvised solo's any instrument

Hate to even start this, partly because you never know the extent to which solos are really improvised:

All of Kind of Blue and
    Coltrane, "I'll Wait and Pray" and "Naima"
    All of the Garcia stuff on the European tour album
    Joe Pass--the first Virtuoso album (as if I could actually play like that...)

This is a question that sends me back to all of my albums and makes me want to think about every solo I've ever played. A great question for a workshop: what solos have most influenced us and how?

Yes brings back memories of the solos you would spend hours and hours trying to transcribe, one that comes to my mind is Oscar Petersens solo "Just one of those things" on a record with Dizzy Gillespie, i really loved it and could never get it, the chops on the piano are bad enough but try doing it on guitar. The thing is the solo was also so melodic, no empty virtuosity like you find on so much later Petersen.

Off the top of my head:

Coltrane - Giant Steps
    Steely Dan - Reelin' in the Years & Bodhisatva
    Happy the Man - I Forgot to Push It

One comment: It's hard to know how "improvised" these really are. Coltrane certailnly worked out many of the licks ahead of time, as some are repeated. And who knows what went on behind the scenes at any given studio recording.

The Happy the Man solo is interesting. It has the feel of an improvised solo, but it's hard to know how much was worked out ahead of time. They later overdubbed harmonies with it that rock my world.

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    Off the top of my head:

Coltrane - Giant Steps
    Steely Dan - Reelin' in the Years & Bodhisatva
    Happy the Man - I Forgot to Push It

One comment: It's hard to know how "improvised" these really are. Coltrane certailnly worked out many of the licks ahead of time, as some are repeated. And who knows what went on behind the scenes at any given studio recording.

The Happy the Man solo is interesting. It has the feel of an improvised solo, but it's hard to know how much was worked out ahead of time. They later overdubbed harmonies with it that rock my world.

-JF
    I know what your saying Jon, and i thought about this alot, but the conclusion i came to is that the more spontaneous it is, the more improvised and the more natural and beautiful. If the solo is made up of patterns you can tell it generally sounds forced and rigid. But keep in mind that every one has to learn the patterns or whatever, the trick is to forget them when improvising and let them surface spontaneously. You can tell when an instrumentalist is reverting to patterns because of lack of inspiration or a bad night.

John Coltrane - Blue Trane
    Ben Webster - Cottontail
    Charlie Parker - Bloomdido
    Phil Woods - Sleepin' Bee
    Cannonball Adderley - Know What I Mean?
    David Sanborn - Straight to the Heart

O.K. Enough with the saxes. I was also greatly influenced by Roy Eldridge's entire "All the Cats Join In" album which sadly has never been transferred to CD.

Chris

Go Back to forum