• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music charge rate problem. Please Help

Share/Bookmark

Question Music charge rate problem. Please Help

I've got a proposal to do a music/sound effect background to an animation (45 seconds)... it's an intro for a multimedia presentation for a radio station... but in the contract there is a statement that they can even use it on TV...
    normally i would charge for a multimedia project but right now i think i can easily double the charge so they can use it where they want....

What do you guys think? Any comments ?

Re: Music charge rate problem. Please Help

I think that's something you should factor into your price, yes.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

What's the back end? Do you keep publishing and author rights, or do you give up publishing? Or both?

Factor all of that in...and yes, if they're contractually stating that the spot even MIGHT be used in broadcast, then you want to be paid for that. If they're not sure, and they don't wish to pay, then strike it from the contract and tell them that they'll need to negotiate further for use on television if and when they decide to do pursue that.

Question Re: Music charge rate problem. Please Help

I told them that i want to ahve in contract that the music for this animation will only be used in the presentation, but if they want to use it somewhere else that it will need an additional written contract and payment... did i say right ?

Where I live, there is an agreement that is fairly common around, called speculation deal, or speculation agreement. That means that you get paid for you work efforts, and then IF the guys choose to use it in a way that generates income, then you should get a certain percentage of that as well. How much is usually agreed upon between the parts but keeping things like union scale or union "standard" recommendations or whatever copyright laws of your country states in mind. I do most of my work on such terms since most of what I do isn't blockbusters, and I always want it in writing and signed. I don't know if there is an equivalent to such an agreement where you live, but it might be an idea to suggest something like it
    Kid: When I become an adult I wanna be a musician.
    Parent: Son, you cannot become both.

Go Back to forum