• Register
  • Help

Topic: Are there going to be any more GPO updates??

Share/Bookmark

Are there going to be any more GPO updates??

I mean, It'd be cool if gary decided to continue updating GPO, and charge accordingly... I'd love to have a spanish guitar similar to Yellow tools Spanish guitar, and maybe some choirs etc... I'm enjoying the simplicity of GPO, and would love the library to be extended... I know this is all bearing on RAM but there are easily ways around a RAM barrier with more added sounds.....

Re: Are there going to be any more GPO updates??

Read Gary's post in this thread.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks Dan.... Prays for spanish guitar and choirs...LoL

Well, I gotta tell you steelhed, the guitar is a very strange animal, very hard to get a good sample that will sound realistic.... If you want a good spanish guitar as well as good steel string, I woudl suggest look at realguitar by musiclab... I worked with this thing recently and it's the most realistic acoustic guitar you can get, even better than stuff for the gigasampler and it's not that expensive... They have it set up so that you can play it from the keyboard and make it sound good... This thing will sound like a real acoustic guitar, even solo... So, I hope you get the choirs though from GPO...

How would one sample a choir? Just oohs and ahhs? I don't think I am so keen on sampled voices. The voice is so far and above any instrument in complexity that how could it be done justice? I'm sure Gary will get a nice job done if he does... but no one will be doing a demo of Beethoven's Ninth.

... unless there is a sample for every voice.

As for classical guitar, I see no problem in creating the samples for it, it is no more complex than a harpsichord. The trouble comes in the performance and most importantly, composition. There is a reason 90% of composers of guitar music are guitarrists. I have composed for the classical guitar a tiny, tiny bit, and it is very hard. One has to always be thinking of whether or not a figure is playable. To this day guitar still wins the "Most Illogical Tuning of a Modern Instrument" award. It is a holdover from the old lute tuning.

I would be most interested in a couple more string effects, although it is not too important. Col Legno might be used in two or three pieces I compose my whole life. It is such a specialized sound.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Go Back to forum