• Register
  • Help

Topic: sibelius 23.0 is it as cool and useful as it seems

Share/Bookmark

sibelius 23.0 is it as cool and useful as it seems

this seems like a really useful program. what kind of things does it help you with in terms of production workflow? what features of it do you guys think make your compositions better? and final question, can you hook it up so it plays gigastudio sounds? how well does the automatic musical symbol reading function work in realizing a midi orchestration.

thanks for any coment on this program.

Re: sibelius 23.0 is it as cool and useful as it seems

Sibelius 23.0? As far as I know 2.11 is the current version. Is that what you mean?

my experience is that it´s an invaluable program, great for learning and scoring, and as far as I know it can use some external MIDI unit for sounds instead of using your average GM MIDI sounds. Now as for using a sampler with it...I doubt so, but would certainly like to see that implemented for the future (maybe for version 23.0 ? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

Can you use it for scoring MIDI directly on it? Well, with VSL and all these new articulations appearing we´re certainly closer to that, but not quite. At least not yet. You have to remember that a machine never delivers a performance. BUT you can certainly use it for writing the score and then fix at your sequencer. That´s what I´m doing and have no complaints at all. It´s way more musician-friendly than any sequencer, and when you´re voices are all fine you can then go for the sampling, exporting the MIDI from Sibelius to your sequencer.

When I realized I could check my parallels 5th and octaves automagically I couldn´t believe it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

yeah...nervous typing hand there. version 2 is what i meant. thanks for the thoughts there. so i use logic. how does sibelius compare for mocking up a score as compared to the tools yo can use in logic for doing this. i see that the automatic checking features would be a great tool, as would be the \"find out the chord you are using here\" is cool as well. anything else that stand out?

Originally posted by Netvudu:

(maybe for version 23.0 ? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It would be nice to think it would get there.

It is a real time investment learning to get the best out of a sequencer, and a bummer if you then discover there will be no further development. (e.g. Logic for PC?). I was wondering what will happen to future development of Cubase now that Steinberg have been sold.

> can you hook it up so it plays gigastudio sounds

Of course.

another thing I didn´t know [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

dSonicka

I am using Sibelius right now on an orchestral compoition with Giastudio . It is really a very easy program to use ( i still have the old 1.4 version ) and interfaces very well with gigastudio . However whilst it is for me the best way to orchestrate , doing the final mock-up is a bit of a chore as the manipulation of midi data is somewhat cumbersome . I therefore save as a midi file and open it in pro-tools which alows me to tweek velocities and volume much more easily . You can specify these things in sibelius but it is the worst aspect of the program IMHO as you have to type in messages all over the place and it is.nt very consitant at reconising them . The new version looks better and has some new features but they haven\'t succesfuly tackled the midi side yet . But it\'s a great program and i would recomand it in an istant

ED BULLER

Go Back to forum