• Register
  • Help

Topic: For all my GPO friends

Share/Bookmark

For all my GPO friends

For all my GPO friends

I want to wish you and all your families a very merry Christmas. So I ripped this little duet off earlier tonight on my ten-string. Realized after it was recorded that due to old strings the guitar is a little out of tune. Sorry it couldn't be with GPO. Those guys always play in tune. Well, the thought is there and there is no time to do it over. It’s off to church and the beginning of a week of merriment.

Silent Night

Be safe this week all my GPO friends,

Karl

Smile Re: For all my GPO friends

Thank you so much, Karl. A very merry Christmas to you and your loved ones. Marry Christmas to all of us here at the GPO forum.

Thomas Alan Bishop

Re: For all my GPO friends

There is something magical about that tune, especially around midnight Christmas Eve.

Very nice Karl,
    Dan

Beatiful and tastefully done! What a gorgeous guitar sound... May I call on you when I need a guitar part recorded?

Trond

Smile Re: For all my GPO friends

Karl, that is a beautiful arrangement. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

So beautiful Karl. It is a real treat to hear this on Christmas.

A very merry Christmas to you and your family. Thanks for being a part of our community and sharing the gift of your music.

All the best,

Gary Garritan

Beautiful, Karl!

Please I gotta tell y'all this:

Last night (Christmas eve) I played guitar in the 11pm service at the church my family attends. The last selection on the agenda was Silent Night. Well, this is a 'modern' band with e-drums, e-bass and MIDI guitar. So anyway, we're playing and our singers are singing, and the congregation is standing and singing along...and then comes the last verse. The musical director summons the band to cease, so that we are engaged in a state of acapella singing with the congregation. At that moment *everyone* in the room lights a personal candle (given them as they entered the room at the start of the service), and then the pastor cuts the lights.

Now picture that...a dark room at midnight Christmas eve filled with almost 200 people singing Silent Night, acapella, holding small burning candles. The song finishes...and end of service. It was without a doubt a most touching experience.

I hope you don't mind my sharing this, also, with you:
    My daughter is soon becoming 18 years old. A couple of days ago she has lamented about how much Christmas has changed for her...she thought that maybe the Christmas joy that she experienced as a child was going to be simply something of the past (you remember that feeling, don't you?).

Well, she attended that Silent Night service last night, and she now says that the experience has helped her see that the Christmas spirit simply becomes something different. The joy can still be there, even for someone older than 'a child', such as herself. Hearing that, my heart was glad.

So, my friends, thank you for letting me indulge. May the Christmas spirit still be there...for everyone.

-Rudy

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Garrett
    For all my GPO friends

I want to wish you and all your families a very merry Christmas. So I ripped this little duet off earlier tonight on my ten-string. Realized after it was recorded that due to old strings the guitar is a little out of tune. Sorry it couldn't be with GPO. Those guys always play in tune. Well, the thought is there and there is no time to do it over. It’s off to church and the beginning of a week of merriment.

Silent Night

Be safe this week all my GPO friends,

Karl
    Karl.....it is said that 'sometimes less is more'......I can't think of better proof of this axiom than your rendition of Silent Night! This is truly most beautiful.....what a treat. Your playing is enviable and your arrangement is gorgeous. I always look forward to hearing your playing with or without accompaniment.

Frank

Thanks Thomas, Dan, Trond (of course you can), Jordan, Kevin, Gary and Frank. I wanted to slip some GPO strings and flute into this, but time didn't permit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daag Nabbott
    I hope you don't mind my sharing this, also, with you:
    My daughter is soon becoming 18 years old. A couple of days ago she has lamented about how much Christmas has changed for her...she thought that maybe the Christmas joy that she experienced as a child was going to be simply something of the past (you remember that feeling, don't you?).

Well, she attended that Silent Night service last night, and she now says that the experience has helped her see that the Christmas spirit simply becomes something different. The joy can still be there, even for someone older than 'a child', such as herself. Hearing that, my heart was glad.

So, my friends, thank you for letting me indulge. May the Christmas spirit still be there...for everyone.

-Rudy
    Rudy, Thank you for sharing your Christmas Eve experience. Watching our children grow, whether they are 8 months or 18 years old, sure makes a parent’s heart glad. I'm sure you will treasure this for years to come.

Whether legend or fact, it is said that the first time Silent Night was sung, it was accompanied by a guitar. Apparently there was a power failure, and the organ could not be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Daag Nabbott
    Now picture that...a dark room at midnight Christmas eve filled with almost 200 people singing Silent Night, acapella, holding small burning candles. The song finishes...and end of service. It was without a doubt a most touching experience.
    I played for this type of Christmas Eve service many times. The way we did it was that after communion, the sanctuary would slowly grow dark during a pastoral prayer. By the end of the prayer, the only light would be from behind a silhouetted cross, high in front of the church.

A soft solo guitar could be heard playing Silent Night from beneath that cross. I would always play this first verse in the Key of A (a good key for the guitar), and then the organ would come in with the last chord and we would modulate to Bb for the congregation to sing. As we sang the four verses the Teenage choir would pass the flame among the people. By the end of the carol, all was aglow with song and light. Those were some of the most moving services I can remember. Someday on a lighter moment, I'll relate the one that went awry.

Here's hoping that each of you and your families find peace and happiness in the coming year.

Karl

Go Back to forum