• Register
  • Help

Topic: Register "problems"!

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Registration "problems"!

Hi ya folks!

I just got GPO the other day (on Christmas eve) and immediately installed it on my laptop to check it out. I remember reading somewhere on this forum that one could install GPO on two computers, right?
    1) Perhaps someone could confirm this?
    My laptop is not a customized music-computer and I do not intend to use GPO on it very much except the few times that I am away from home. If GPO can only be installed on one system, and I do not believe so, I would un-install it at once.

Now for my "big problem":

2) My desktop, as opposed to my laptop, has been customized for music-making but since I can't get online with it (no internet access in my flat), I don't know how to register GPO with it.

3) Also, I sometimes (perhaps twice a year), format my hard drive so the system is fresh'n fast and therefore wonder how this would affect the register-issue. Would I have to re-register each time I format the HD?

So many questions..

Chris

Post Re: Registration "problems"!

Hi, perhaps some of this will help.

1. You can temporarily use the software on another computer. Read the license agreement for all the details.

2. Read the Readme or manual. If you have internet access on another computer, you can still register (details in the readme). Otherwise you can register by fax or mail.

3. You probably would not have to re-register unless you did a full format where you would have to reinstall the application. In that case, you would have to re-register, but it should still recognize all the same system information as no hardware has actually been changed. But you should contact Mr. Gary Garritan or Native Instruments to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Shantar
    Hi ya folks!

I just got GPO the other day (on Christmas eve) and immediately installed it on my laptop to check it out. I remember reading somewhere on this forum that one could install GPO on two computers, right?
    My laptop is not a customized music-computer and I do not intend to use GPO on it very much except the few times that I am away from home. If GPO can only be installed on one system, and I do not believe so, I would un-install it at once.

2) My desktop, as opposed to my laptop, has been customized for music-making but since I can't get online with it (no internet access in my flat), I don't know how to register GPO with it.

3) Also, I sometimes (perhaps twice a year), format my hard drive so the system is fresh'n fast and therefore wonder how this would affect the register-issue. Would I have to re-register each time I format the HD?

So many questions..

Chris

Re: Registration "problems"!

Hi ya folks!

So many questions..

Chris

Well, regarding the format, I can answer that part from recent experiences. If, after you format, you restore from a full system backup, all of your registration, password, software keys, etc should be intact, and your system will operate as before. Just be sure that you have a clean system before making the backup, so you won't risk backing up errors.

If you are unable to restore from a backup, you can send the old registstration data, including system id, and the new system id to NI registration via email, explaining the circumsstances. You will have your registration on the second day. I had this problem twice in a very short time and NI was very helpful.

Did your GPO ship with the recent update included?

richardw

Re: Register "problems"!

Richard,

I ordered GPO directly from Garritan (as you may have noticed in some of my threads lately). However, I did not get the new updated version of GPO, as I'm sure they'll sell out the current stock of old GPO before making the new package ready.

Btw, thank you both for your help. When I mentioned formating my hard drive I was talking about formatting the HD in which GPO is installed. Since I am on vacation right now I have not installed GPO on my desktop yet, (going to give it an "extreme makeover" first). I am nevertheless not so sure how I ought to approach the installation-process in order to get the most out of my system. Should I install GPO on the same HD as my OS and sequencer etc, and then have another HD for the samples and another one again for audio-recordings, or should I just install GPO and the samples on the same HD?

Any advice would be appreciated as I aim to build a kickass reliable system...

Cheers mates!

Chris

Re: Register "problems"!

Richard,

I ordered GPO directly from Garritan (as you may have noticed in some of my threads lately). However, I did not get the new updated version of GPO, as I'm sure they'll sell out the current stock of old GPO before making the new package ready.

Btw, thank you both for your help. When I mentioned formating my hard drive I was talking about formatting the HD in which GPO is installed. Since I am on vacation right now I have not installed GPO on my desktop yet, (going to give it an "extreme makeover" first). I am nevertheless not so sure how I ought to approach the installation-process in order to get the most out of my system. Should I install GPO on the same HD as my OS and sequencer etc, and then have another HD for the samples and another one again for audio-recordings, or should I just install GPO and the samples on the same HD?

Any advice would be appreciated as I aim to build a kickass reliable system...

Cheers mates!

Chris

Well, I do recommend obtaining the update as soon as possible.

My installation is: Application software, libraries, and data on the same hard drive as the operating system. Generally, that means accepting the defaults, which I almost always do, as it saves remembering what I did different and why, and it works well. Audio files are saved on my second hard drive. I also keep backup copies of most of my data - midi files, Sibelius, etc on the second hard drive. These backup files I update as I work, and especially before I power down. When there are sufficient changes to warrant it, I back up data files to CD or DVD. Once the system is established to your liking, all options and configurations and updates in place, it would be a really good move to do a complete system backup, on DVD. Then the next backup I would do on the second hard drive if you have one, and it has the space. You can restore somewhat faster from the hard drive.

Doing it this way, you will have your original work and two backup copies at all times, in addition to those on the full system backup.

When you are set up, ASIO correct, etc, you can experiment for the best way to use GPO, but here is my experience (now that I have got rid of a bug that raised caine with me for a while). When using a sequencer, such as Sonar, the VST plug in is the best becaue there is a tempo bug in the DXI (maybe only Sonar), and because the cpu usage is MUCH LESS than using GPO Studio. However, for some purposes, GPO Studio is essential, for instance, Sibelius.

For a really solid system, pay plenty of attention to your sound card settings and configurations of your sequencer, particularly regarding the sound card. I think ASIO is essential with GPO.

The biggest key to a reliable system is a good backup system and schedule. Redundancy of backup is critical. I guess my years of sattelite/radio commuications are showing here, but I always stress reduncancy of backup. It is probably also a good idea to keep an off premises backup.

Well, that was a ramble through the bramble, more than I meant to say, and quite possibly more than you wanted to hear, but there it is. You will probably get some other ideas once Christmas has passed.

Richard

Re: Registration "problems"!

Richard,

I'm using an old cakewalk 8.0 for the moment. It is my fav sequencer and I know its functions inside-out. Though it is old it does a fairly good job I think. Once I have the money for it, I'll go and by Sonar 4, but for the moment I'll have to do with GPO Studio as my VST host.

Regarding the installation; I'll probably buy another hard drive for my samples and the other things that can crash the system over time so I don't have to format the HD in which GPO is installed and re-register.

I really like the kontakt-player that comes with GPO. It is so easy to use. I have a few other sample-libs and I think I'll buy the full-version of Kontakt and Chickensys anytime soon to use my old libs along with GPO.

Chris

Go Back to forum