• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: DVD-A?

Share/Bookmark

DVD-A?

I know this has nothing to do with GPO, but as a GPO user, I was wondering if anyone knows how to take one's finished WAV file and burn it to a DVD-A disk? I'm tired of having to break up my music onto 2 cds if the piece is longer than 80 mins!

Thank you,
    Paul David Bergel
    www.pauldavidbergel.com

Re: DVD-A?

Unfortunately, if you do that, it will not play on an audio CD player.
    You are better off dividing it in half somewhere around the middle.

DPDan

Cool Re: DVD-A?

Dan is certainly on track here, Paul. Apparently there is a "format war" between Sony-Phillips and "everyone else" as to which high-quality audio format (on DVD stock) to support. The Sony-Phillips "camp" supports only SACD (which is essentially multi-format audio on DVD stock) while everyone else ignores SACD in favor of DVD-Audio. Although it was rumored that some manufacturer would produce a "universal" DVD/SACD player, I've not yet seen on. (Perhaps someone who has experience with that option could chime in.) At any rate, Dan is certainly correct in his assessment that if you did, few people could play it.

A few months ago, I wanted the capability to produce relatively "discrete" 6-channel audio (since Cubase SX can mix to that), so I got a neat piece of software to take my 6-channel tracks and burn them to DVD-Audio called "discWelder Gold" (around $99). I then sought out a non-Sony/Phillips player to add to my music-making system and found a 5-disc player from Panasonic (model DVD-F87) through a discount house (One-Call) for about $139 that I could integrate into my 6-channel receiver. I have not yet seen a "hobbyist" equivalent software to produce SACDs, though one would think that is obvious to come along (hopefully soon -- I know I'll buy it!).

The OTHER option you could try (for now) as far as squeezing more than 80 minutes onto a disc is just putting it under a "slide show" through a conventional DVD-burning piece of software (I've been using Pinnacle's "Studio PLUS 9" for some other video projects). Of course, your tracks would then be compressed into the MPEG scheme and technically would probably not sound as good as their CD or DVD-A equivalents. (I've not tried this yet "slide show album" approach, but I have used various of my tracks under video portions and not been distressed or totally unhappy with the results.)

my two cents worth KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    Dan is certainly on track here, Paul. Apparently there is a "format war" between Sony-Phillips and "everyone else" as to which high-quality audio format (on DVD stock) to support. The Sony-Phillips "camp" supports only SACD (which is essentially multi-format audio on DVD stock) while everyone else ignores SACD in favor of DVD-Audio. Although it was rumored that some manufacturer would produce a "universal" DVD/SACD player, I've not yet seen on. (Perhaps someone who has experience with that option could chime in.) At any rate, Dan is certainly correct in his assessment that if you did, few people could play it.

A few months ago, I wanted the capability to produce relatively "discrete" 6-channel audio (since Cubase SX can mix to that), so I got a neat piece of software to take my 6-channel tracks and burn them to DVD-Audio called "discWelder Gold" (around $99). I then sought out a non-Sony/Phillips player to add to my music-making system and found a 5-disc player from Panasonic (model DVD-F87) through a discount house (One-Call) for about $139 that I could integrate into my 6-channel receiver. I have not yet seen a "hobbyist" equivalent software to produce SACDs, though one would think that is obvious to come along (hopefully soon -- I know I'll buy it!).

The OTHER option you could try (for now) as far as squeezing more than 80 minutes onto a disc is just putting it under a "slide show" through a conventional DVD-burning piece of software (I've been using Pinnacle's "Studio PLUS 9" for some other video projects). Of course, your tracks would then be compressed into the MPEG scheme and technically would probably not sound as good as their CD or DVD-A equivalents. (I've not tried this yet "slide show album" approach, but I have used various of my tracks under video portions and not been distressed or totally unhappy with the results.)

my two cents worth KevinKauai
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Compatibility with CD Players, actually, is not an issue for my purposes. I'm a film composer and need to get my music back to the audio engineer in as complete a way as possible. In previous attempts at breaking up the score into 2 chunks, some cues were off for some reason. Also, since these scores are to be ported straight to DVD, i figure it'd be nice to have the quality of the music be as high as possible. Would it even make much of a difference? Thanks again for all the help,
    Paul David Bergel
    www.pauldavidbergel.com

You could always record it to DAT. They are available in 2 hour tapes... and any studio should have a DAT machine

Kevin, thanks, I too wish I could take my 5.1 mix to DVD, but what DVD recorder accepts six channels of audio? What a bunch o' poo huh?

DPDan

Hi Paul,

Minnetonka's "Disk Welder" series of apps is what you need to burn DVD-A disks. Pretty cheap with Bronze version at 100 bucks.

http://www.minnetonkaaudio.com/

Hope that Helps

If I'm reading this correctly and you just need a medium to save a huge unbroken file, why can't you just save it to a DVD-R as a big uncompressed WAV??? Then open it on another computer using Sound Forge or whatever you like and go. A 5 Gb DVD-R will hold, what, more than an 8 hour long stereo file...

That should work

Exclamation Re: DVD-A?

Of course, you can always store whatever amount of DATA on a DVD-R or DVD-RW (+ or minus). My newest systen will even burn the double-layer ones (though I've not yet exploited that), but what Paul (*bergelp*) was originally seeking was a super long playable audio device (which is where the original notion of DVD-A came in).

And Dan, you can burn 6 channel audio to a "normal" DVD as long as you shell out for a expen$ive Dolby Digital or DTS encoder. I'm going to try some experiments with audio on a "normal" burn of a home-style DVD (in whatever MPEG compression that ends up in) and report back some time.

KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    Of course, you can always store whatever amount of DATA on a DVD-R or DVD-RW (+ or minus). My newest systen will even burn the double-layer ones (though I've not yet exploited that), but what Paul (*bergelp*) was originally seeking was a super long playable audio device (which is where the original notion of DVD-A came in).

And Dan, you can burn 6 channel audio to a "normal" DVD as long as you shell out for a expen$ive Dolby Digital or DTS encoder. I'm going to try some experiments with audio on a "normal" burn of a home-style DVD (in whatever MPEG compression that ends up in) and report back some time.

KevinKauai
    Actually DVD-A requires no compression codec. All you need is an authoring app. You only need DTS or Dolby Digital when you compress audio for DVD-V

Best

CH

Go Back to forum