• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Legato help

Share/Bookmark

Legato help

First off, I'd like to thank Gary Garritan and his crew for creating such an incredible orchestral soundbank. Keep up the great work guys.

I'm new to GPO, and I've got to admit that all the tweaking ability is great, but I stil don't know what half of it does yet, lol. I have a problem getting GPO to play legato mode(I use Sonar 4). Instead of playing smooth legato, for some reason it plays sustain(which sounds horrible when 5 notes are being held at one time, lol). Am I missing something? I thought that GPO automatically changed the sustain function to legato. If any of you guys can help, I'd appreciate it.

*sigh* I guess I should actually read the manual after all, lol.

Re: Legato help

In Options, change the sustain legato mode to 'no sustain/sustenuto operation, but midi controller'. Make sure you close and re-open GPO for the change to take effect.

I am also confused about this legato thing, there are four choicesin Kontakt Options:

1] 'Normal' sustain/sustenuto operation (but what is normal?)
    2] No sustain/sustenuto operation but midi controller
    3] No sustain/sustenuto operation but midi switch
    4] 'Normal' sustain/sustenuto operation plus midi switch

The manual says that Kontakt 'defaults automatically to legato mode' (pg 9) but which one? The explanation on page 39 is confusing me. Could we have an explanation for midiots?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero

1] 'Normal' sustain/sustenuto operation (but what is normal?)
    2] No sustain/sustenuto operation but midi controller
    3] No sustain/sustenuto operation but midi switch
    4] 'Normal' sustain/sustenuto operation plus midi switch
    Basically,

Use #2 for most GPO situations. Strings, reeds, brass
    Use #1 for piano, harp

Jeff

Thanks for that Jeff, when I said 'midiot' | guess I invited a simple explanation

- but could someone supply a datails answer, and explain why? how? what happens with #2 checked/unchecked? What midicontrollers are involved?

And.... whats a midi switch?

When #2 is checked, you still use the sustain pedal with your keyboard, but you get a smooth legato transition between notes instead of all notes sustaining at one time. I believe the midi controller for the sustain pedal is CC#64. You can draw this data in CC#64 in your sequencer if you don't have a pedal.

When #1 is checked the pedal has the same function as a pedal on an acoustic piano.

Don't know what the midi switch does, never used it.
    Jeff

Cool guys, thanks for the help. The legato now works in the DXi format, but still not in VST format. Is there a way to default the player settings to legato? If not, would saving a preset work?

Quote Originally Posted by mscmixer
    Cool guys, thanks for the help. The legato now works in the DXi format, but still not in VST format. Is there a way to default the player settings to legato? If not, would saving a preset work?
    The sustain/sustenuto setting is global, that is, it applies to all instruments and all instances of the GPO player. When you have selected a setting it should stay that way each time you load until you change it.

This implies, for instance, that you cannot-at the same time-set up your piano for "normal" sustain and set up your other instruments for legato, without doing something special. To learn how to do this, do a search in this forum...the question has been previously addressed and solutions proposed.

Ed

Anyone with knowledge of the use of midi switches on the options page?

Go Back to forum