• Register
  • Help

Topic: Finale users - Please read in

Share/Bookmark

Finale users - Please read in

There is a thread in Finale forum with feature requests for Finale 2006.

There are some suggestions for better MIDI controls that I think, can be very helpful to us.

The more people will speak their word for them (or for YOUR suggestions) the better chance they will be implemented.

http://www.finalemusic.com/forum/def...x?f=5&m=100038

I`m posting this at the Halion and Kontakt forums too.

Thanks

Re: Finale users - Please read in

As a long time Finale user, I’m pretty skeptical about any improvement in this area. The MIDI functionality has remained unchanged for years. Now they’re putting a lot of effort into the Human Playback engine, which will lead a lot of people into believing that they don’t need that control.

I predict that the only thing that will produce better MIDI control in Finale, is for Sibelius to introduce it first.

Yea, I know. But I think that they may consider adding anything that convinces people to upgrade (the changes from one version to another are not that great. They usually count on specific kinds of users to which the changes may help).

The features suggested are really not hard to program (though they mean much better productivity for ppl who use samplers). I think that people at MakeMusic are just not aware that many musicians use their software that way.

The guy who started that thread said he sends feature requests to MM alongside the number of positive reactions.

If more people "vote" for it, it might have a chance.

As the author of that thread, I have been paying a lot of attention to the additions by other posters.

I have written to MakeMusic many times in the past two years asking them to address the implimentation of Finale with Gigastudio, with better playback capacity. And my current missive to Makemusic will be sure to emphasize this issue.

There still exists the debate regarding Finale as just "a superior notation program" or a versitile program for notation and playback. I think that MakeMusic understands that if they don't expand, Sibelius will expand and that the majority of Finale users would like enhanced playback capacity. And playback capacity should not be limited to softsynths and human playback but also improved interface with Gigastudio and other playback sample engines.

Whether they dedicate time for Finale 2006 or wait until Finale 2007, I don't know. But I think that there are very few important issues remaining in Finale as a notation program. In otherwords, they have fulfilled almost all requests as a notation program (at least all the important requests, there are always a number of nice but not necessary enhancements). And there are a few bugs remaining, but not a large number of bugs.

So I think that MakeMusic can direct their attention to improved playback interface, meaning improved midi controls and I hope that they listen to our requests for this feature.

As I mentioned on my post in the Finale forum... I will get a triplicate letter off to them this week.

David

And.... the letter has been sent.

David

You may be right. What you say makes a lot of sense.

It may be a better idea for Finale to partner with a sequencer software and try to smooth the transition from Finale into a midi into the sequencer. However, I am too unfamiliar with sequencers to know if anything can be done to marry the two programs.

It will be interesting to see what MakeMusic can do. I do think that they will try to do what they can.

David

The ability to draw in cc data, as opposed to entering ranges of numbers, really should be straight forward to implement. Same data, just a better interface. I think the problem is with MM recognizing the current interface as inadequate.

Here’s an example: Not so long ago, when you wanted to change a Finale document from Portrait to Landscape, you went to the page layout dialog box. Instead of the expected Radio buttons for Portrait/Landscape there were text boxes with the pages dimensions. To change orientation, you had to transpose the dimensions for length and width. One day I was one the phone with Coda, and suggested a more standard (and convenient) approach. He seemed to have NO IDEA why I would want radio buttons.

Then, When Sibelius came along, Finale suddenly had radio buttons…

Go Back to forum