• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ok, perhaps basic but still a polyphony question for experts on this forum!

Share/Bookmark

ok, perhaps basic but still a polyphony question for experts on this forum!

In this case, it's the settings of my polyphony/notes loaded etc with which I am asking for some help.
    I keep getting "cut out notes" in sections where I reach around 245 notes. After a number of tries, I have the poly set at 350...I never really got a firm enough grasp of these settings.

I'm running XP on a P4/1.8Ghz Carillon (made for music PC) and 1GB ram.
    (I'm fully aware this isn't much of a processor these days, but the machine's only about 2 years old.)
    Could anyone give me a ballpark of what I should expect?

Really sorry, but yes, I'm going back to a pretty basic question here...and one to which I should really be able to find an answer though experimentation!

But while I'm in many ways not - I hope - as much of a beginner as it may seem on some of these matters , strangely I can't seem to really approach an answer this way.

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.
    B

Re: ok, perhaps basic but still a polyphony question for experts on this forum!

On my p4 3.2 with 1.5 gigabytes of memory, g3 orchestra, I use max polyphony of 256. And except when testing with unrealistic handsful of notes sustained, never get anywhere close to that number of voices.

So your numbers seem reasonable to me, but my goals were to load more instruments into memory, not to have a huge number of simultaneous sounds. There is also that setting, "alter transition voices to steal notes" -- could it be causing your problems? I have it set very low (24) because I almost never use block chords.

Hi G,
    Well, I use a lot of chords. Just working on a couple of pieces using SiSBrass - through a number of "stacked" instruments - along with some ensemble strings and a solo violin (luckily, no Piano's made its way in there), and it is really a good way of getting the Brass to sound very realistic to get them to double at least some of the voicings from one to the other...

So I'm quite amazed at your conservative 256 voices considering the 3.+Ghz (!) when I play slightly less technically ambitious arrangements that has been my setting as well - without trouble - but my machine is vastly smaller than yours...

But chords being involved here, unless I'm mistaken - a simple 4 note chord on one midi channel played into a 3 instruments stack means 12 voices, the numbers are getting up there fairly fast. (just occurred to me that perhaps using "stack-mode" might be less voice efficient...mmh...probably not.(?)

The "alter transition voices to steal notes" setting is posing me problems...always has...and long before i get into technical trouble, I'm having a "syntax" problem with it...never managed to get my head around the way it's explained. Not really at least. Weak point in my intellect or something...

But you see, I set the poly at 500 voices today, and no difference from working with 256 (!)... still getting the chopped notes.

Thanks you very much for your feedback, it does make me feel that my machine is at least functioning ok.

B

If I may chime in here,,, I'm a totally newby, but last week when I was getting GIGA going on my PC I had chopped notes too, and Gugliel and a bunch of other folks helped me out. Bruce Richardson noticed that I had my sample drive on the same IDE as the main "C" drive. Once I changed it to the other IDE and put the DVD drive on the same IDE as the "C" drive, everything was smooth sailing after that. I just wanted to mention that after hearing your comment about chopped notes.

DPDAN

Well, I had that problem, too -- the solution was very simple: Just disable the rewire function in the option (if I remember well: System Setting -- Rewire -- click on disable -- restart Giga -- everything should be fine).

Hope this helps,
    Markus.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    ...I had my sample drive on the same IDE as the main "C" drive. Once I changed it to the other IDE and put the DVD drive on the same IDE as the "C" drive, everything was smooth sailing after that.
    DPDAN
    Hi DPD, Unfortunately, my "sample" drive is a second IDE separate from the C drive...but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "putting the DVD drive on the same IDE as the C drive"?
    Looking forward to a little explanation...if possible.

As far as Markus's suggestion:
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus S
    ...Just disable the rewire function in the option (if I remember well: System Setting -- Rewire -- click on disable -- restart Giga -- everything should be fine).
    Although I don't use rewire on the PC, but on my Mac only, I'll look into it and make sure that the option alone doesn't influence the whole machine!

Thanks DPDan and Markus for your help...I'm off to the Studio.
    B

Hi Bluedog, both of my ribbon cables in the PC have three connectors, one that connects to the mother board, and the other two to different drives. I had to place my "C" drive in one of the drive bays so that the same cable would phsically reach the DVD drive. The other cable connects to the second IDE on the mother board and the newly installed sample drive. Also, there is a very small jumper "plug thingy" on the back of the drives that must be placed in the correct position, according to how they are being used. The settings are Master, Slave and CS (cable select) Well, at least that's what mine have. My "C" drive is set as master and the DVD is slave. The sample drive is set as master.
    Hope this is a little more clear.
    DPDAN

Hi DP,
    Thanks for these details.
    I'm a little familiar with these thingy switches, but my PC being a "built for music" type of thinng (carillon) I'm more than a little scared to get in there too deep...I know, however for a fact that my C drive is set to master and my - new - DVD drive, is set the right way too, as I changed it 3 months ago. ( I was nervous enough then to fear opening the thing now...if you know what I mean!).

I had, I think, some luck with Markus's rewire setting today...so I might try it that way a bit but I;'ll apply your instructiions as soon as I think it's necessary.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog
    Hi DP,
    I had, I think, some luck with Markus's rewire setting today...so I might try it that way a bit but I;'ll apply your instructiions as soon as I think it's necessary.

Thanks again.
    Just one thing: I disabled rewire once -- everything was fine, then the problems started again -- it took me some time to check the settings again, and rewire was enabled again (don't ask me why). So make sure it is *really* disabled every time you use giga. I know it sounds strange, but I hab 100% your problem and everything was fine since I switched it off (even in the "stand alone"-mod)

Best,
    Markus.

Angry Re: ok, perhaps basic but still a polyphony question for experts on this forum!

I'd like to say that I have this very same problem. I've done a lot of stress testing, and it appears to happen at unpredictable intervals. I will continune working on this. Has Tascam admitted this problem yet, or are they still in denial?

-JG

Go Back to forum