• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Cooking" Woodwind Trio - by Andrew Koenig

Share/Bookmark

"Cooking" Woodwind Trio - by Andrew Koenig

Andrew Koenig sent in this delightful Woodwind Trio.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/ak-Cooking_wind-trio.mp3

He originally composed it a few years ago for recorder trio and rearanged it with the GPO Oboe, English horn, and Bassoon.

Andrew writes: "Formally, it's more or less a double fugue. The first theme shows up immediately, both straight and inverted; the second one sneaks in one voice at a time until it finally appears alone in the slower central section. That second theme is well known to early-music enthusiasists as Browning, which a number of composers including William Byrd have used as a subject. That name, plus the up-tempo nature of this piece, is why I call it "Cooking".

I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did. Thanks for sharing this with us Andrew.

Gary Garritan

PS: Andrew, was this work also done using Human Playback?

Re: "Cooking" Woodwind Trio - by Andrew Koenig

Nice way to showcase GPO's strengths (the great woodwinds). The writing in this is very entertaining. If I were doing this, I would have added a nice intimate room reverb here.

Delightfully enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting piece, but having dabbled with algorithmic composition programmes in the past, like Jammer and BITB, this reminded me of some of the results which are obtainable....and I was also reminded of Jeanne Michelle Jarre too.

I guess that music of that era had this quality as it was repetitive and slightly mechanical. (I know what I mean ) Some of Bach's stuff is mechanical too and is none the worse for that!

Thanks

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Hardy Heern
    Interesting piece, but having dabbled with algorithmic composition programmes in the past, like Jammer and BITB, this reminded me of some of the results which are obtainable....and I was also reminded of Jeanne Michelle Jarre too.

I guess that music of that era had this quality as it was repetitive and slightly mechanical. (I know what I mean ) Some of Bach's stuff is mechanical too and is none the worse for that!

Thanks

Frank
    If you can find it, you might want to listen to Elway Bevin's original Browning piece, which has a similar contrapuntal texture. I intended for the trio I'm in (http://members.aol.com/johnlamb/econsort.htm) to play these two pieces together, but Cooking has so far proven too difficult. I think that maybe I'll use Browning as my next GPO project.

If you find Bach mechanical, maybe you should listen to more fugues :-) They're an acquired taste.

Quote Originally Posted by ixm
    Nice way to showcase GPO's strengths (the great woodwinds). The writing in this is very entertaining. If I were doing this, I would have added a nice intimate room reverb here.

Delightfully enjoyable. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks! I guess I'm used to listening to chamber music in Alice Tully Hall (1,096 seats).

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Andrew, was this work also done using Human Playback?
    Yes, it was. All the slightly quirky rhythmic articulation comes from dozens of slurs placed in appropriate places in the score, and ordinary dynamic markings (mf, p, etc.) bring out whichever voice has the Browning theme in the slower section. My intent is for human musicians to interpret the score in pretty much the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Koenig
    If you can find it, you might want to listen to Elway Bevin's original Browning piece, which has a similar contrapuntal texture. I intended for the trio I'm in (http://members.aol.com/johnlamb/econsort.htm) to play these two pieces together, but Cooking has so far proven too difficult. I think that maybe I'll use Browning as my next GPO project.

If you find Bach mechanical, maybe you should listen to more fugues :-) They're an acquired taste.
    More than fair comment Andrew.....Fugues aren't my area of expertise; as I think you've already spotted. Forgive me for my musical ignorance!! Personal reminder: Must stick to areas that I'm slightly less ignorant about!!

Frank

Go Back to forum