• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Black Grand available for EXS24 Mk II

Share/Bookmark

Black Grand available for EXS24 Mk II

Finally a native EXS24 Mk II version of the Concert Grand, The Black Grand" is released.
    The EXS24 version where built from scratch to ensure the best performance/sound. Both a 16 and a 24 bit version is available.
    Check out www.sampletekk.com for details.
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: Black Grand available for EXS24 Mk II

Neat but what differentiates your piano from the Bos290, Emperor or Old Lady...let alone the C7, Steinway Upright or others? I've played piano for over 40 years and IMHO each of these set a benchmark in their own arena.

I visited your website, but have a challenge understanding where you fit in the pack. At a $200 list price with no discounts, that places you at a mid-range price point...so do tell, what makes the difference with your pianos and why would someone pick you over another? (I'm open, just want to understand more before I make any commitment to add YAPP (yet another piano package) to my studio).

Also, Post piano did offer group buys when introducing their products, as is VintAudio...that didn't hurt at all ;-) and they did sell literally hundreds of each in less than a month...with many satisfied composers/customers/studios. I believe Vintaudio is over the 300 mark and still has a month to go...(at $65 each that's $19500 for a month, less production costs...still a nice chuck of change).

Thanks in advance for your answers,

-Bodie

Thumbs up Re: Black Grand available for EXS24 Mk II

While Worra can answer for himself, I can chime in from a (demo) user perspective. You'll find a very particular description given to the Black and White Grands if you look at reviews on this board - responsive. That is, the 16 sampled layers make all the difference in the world. After so many years of single or triple or whatnot layer pianos, you finally feel like you're playing an actual instrument and not a simulation. It responds like an acoustic instrument does, with gradations in tone and volume that you just don't get with filtering or less layers.

I've played the demos for the Old Lady and Emperor and own the Bardstown Bosendorfer, and just this weekend downloaded the Black Grand close demo to see what all the fuss is about. This piano sings, even with just 2 octaves and the Cs to play with. It's like no other sampled piano I've ever experienced, and I urge you to download the demo to see what I'm talking about. Where does it fit? Right at the top of the heap - nothing I've played even comes close. After playing the demo, I can see that it's worth every penny of the $200. I'm sold.

Jazzbozo

Quote Originally Posted by Bbbodie
    Neat but what differentiates your piano from the Bos290, Emperor or Old Lady...let alone the C7, Steinway Upright or others? I've played piano for over 40 years and IMHO each of these set a benchmark in their own arena.

I visited your website, but have a challenge understanding where you fit in the pack. At a $200 list price with no discounts, that places you at a mid-range price point...so do tell, what makes the difference with your pianos and why would someone pick you over another? (I'm open, just want to understand more before I make any commitment to add YAPP (yet another piano package) to my studio).

Also, Post piano did offer group buys when introducing their products, as is VintAudio...that didn't hurt at all ;-) and they did sell literally hundreds of each in less than a month...with many satisfied composers/customers/studios. I believe Vintaudio is over the 300 mark and still has a month to go...(at $65 each that's $19500 for a month, less production costs...still a nice chuck of change).

Thanks in advance for your answers,

-Bodie
    Hi Bodie.

Thanks for your interest!

The Black Grand is recorded from a Steinway D Hamburg Grand Piano in excellent condition In fact, it’s quite new, build in 1996 if I remember right.
    It’s also maintained regularly by a certified Steinway technician, so it’s a very good instrument and that’s always a good start.
    The recording took place in a concert hall (Orebro Concert hall) since this is really the natural habitat for such a instrument. The Grand piano was designed to sound the best in an auditorium, (the damped studio rooms wasn’t really invented at the time…) and this was what I was after: A great instrument, like a well maintained Steinway D in mint condition recorded in a concert hall giving a true concert grand experience.

The Black Grand was recorded from three different perspectives giving you three different pianos to choose between. The Close perspective giving you a bright powerful piano suitable for jazz/contemporary music, the Ambient perspective being the choice for a classical approach including the ambience from the concert hall and the Medium Ambient perspective that’s something in between.

Now, you can’t really argument with sound since that’s an subjective thing. You might like the sound of the piano, and you might not. So I wont talk about that much. It’s really the sound I was after so I’m happy!
    The thing that’s special with the Black Grand (and the White Grand) is the many velocity samples.
    The Black Grand has 16 velocity samples recorded pedal up, 16 recorded pedal down and 16 release samples. That makes up to 48 samples/recorded note and this is something that’s unmatched among sampled pianos today.
    This is many velocity samples impossible to achieve “by hand”, so we used a special designed digital recording system called “SLH” to make this possible.
    The purpose of having this many velocity samples is to give the sampled piano a dynamic response that’s as close to the real thing that’s possible with today’s technique.
    To experience this, you really need to play the instrument yourself, and you can download a 2 octave + all the C’s demo from our homepage.

Regarding sales strategy, it’s up to Big Fish Audio who distributes SampleTekks’ products to make the calls.

Hope that this answers your questions! Best thing would probably be for you to download the playable demos and try them out for youirself. You could also, if you live in US, visit a Big Fish Audio Listening center, as said on their site:
    “Listening Center:. Check out the Big Fish Audio Listening Centers at top music stores nationwide, including Guitar Center, Sam Ash Music, Manny's Music, West L. A. Music, Bananas At Large and many others. These Listening Centers feature an extensive selection of our discs, so you can audition before you buy.”
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbozo
    ... You'll find a very particular description given to the Black and White Grands if you look at reviews on this board - responsive. That is, the 16 sampled layers make all the difference in the world...

Jazzbozo
    I second that! You are right.

I currently have the Kontakt version of Black Grand and would like to crossgrade to the EXS24 24 bit version if possible. Do you offer this? I wasn't able to find any information on your web site.
    thanks,
    d

Quote Originally Posted by dznyc
    I currently have the Kontakt version of Black Grand and would like to crossgrade to the EXS24 24 bit version if possible. Do you offer this? I wasn't able to find any information on your web site.
    thanks,
    d
    Problem is that you have to do a fadein on all releasesamples since EXS24 doesn't support this.
    I can send you the exs files if you mail me, but as I said, if you don't have a soundedit program with batch function, your in for a couple of hours of fun work.....
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Hey what's up with the White Sis?

I don't have the Black Grand, but I have the playable demo, and it plays great. What I notice is not just that that I can get a "realistic" sound for each velocity but that I have much more control over which notes are emphasized in chords, and that the piano, while I play and even more while I listen to recordings of it, sounds alive because I hear so many timbres at so many different volumes.

(I didn't notice this quality when I listened to the demo mp3's on the site, but instead after I recorded another piano sample set and then this one using the playable demo: huge difference in the sense of life and depth in the piano, though the other one also sounded excellent.)

Worra,

Can I try this Black Grand at Time & Space?

Go Back to forum