• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: AHHH!!!! Sibelius 3 and GPO starting to make me angry!!!1

Share/Bookmark

AHHH!!!! Sibelius 3 and GPO starting to make me angry!!!1

Hey guys

Does anyone have any new info they can tell me about regarding playback with sibelius 3 and GPO. A few days ago i started a thread about some of the problems i was having with playback which mainly consisted of:

a) serious distortion with certain instruments, mainly all the brass when they get to forte

b) how to improve playback eg, turn off smoothing, under utilities make sure the processor in set to highest performance, turn off DFD, dont use 32 bit etc etc

Now i got some replies with some very helpful hints that i have read and applied to my set up (which is G5 Dual 2GHz, 1.5Gb RAM GPO and Sibelius 3). There has been a slight improvement but not a lot. The main problem i have is:

Ive got a full orchestral score. Half way through the piece theresa cres. from mf to f. Now when the piece get to f it just distorts beyond belief. Ive done a bit of trouble shooting and found that it something to do with the trumpets, but i don't no what.....

To be honest its really getting me down as i have to work to very short deadlines and im constantly having problems with the playback of my set up. All my drivers and updates are the latest versions and my i have nothing running in the background when im working. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE does anyone know anything that can help me out? when is there a tutorial on GPO and Sib 3 coming out? or is there any more updates being released soon for us Sib3 users?

P.s I notice on the home page that the UK has accepted GPO for its educational use in Universities, can anyone tell me if there will be any seminars being held anywhere so we can go along and talk about problems we have?

Re: AHHH!!!! Sibelius 3 and GPO starting to make me angry!!!1

Have you tried adjusting the starting volume of the trumpets in the GPO Kontakt Player itself? Also, check and make sure that the CC#7/CC#10 (volume/pan) option in the options panel is turned off.

Hi

Sorry about the problems you're having....must be a Mac/Sib/GPO thing.

I use sib3 with GPO on a PC with NO problems, even with a full orchestra playing. Check that you bring down the sliders in the mixer window to get rid of the distortion.

Good luck

LouisD

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Hi

Sorry about the problems you're having....must be a Mac/Sib/GPO thing.

I use sib3 with GPO on a PC with NO problems, even with a full orchestra playing. Check that you bring down the sliders in the mixer window to get rid of the distortion.

Good luck

LouisD
    yeah i'm running sib3 on a PC and have absolutely no problems. The only thing is i can't seem to be able to load up a full orchestra w/o GPO telling me i'm running out of memory? I have 1 gig RAM, 32 bit is turned off... what am i doing wrong?

thanks
    paul

1 gig ram is a minimum amount for a full GPO setup, 1.5 gig would be just enough for me to feel safe.
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

Ballseye -

[To refresh your memory I passed on the tips about turning off smoothing and setting paper and background to color (both under the view menu in Sibelius) which decreases the demands on the cpu. It sounds like you've already done those things.]

A few other points to check:

1) Did you install Sibelius 3 with or without Kontakt Silver?

I noticed that GPO's playback was worse when I upgraded from Sibelius 2 to 3 even though it was on a more powerful machine with more ram.

Sibelius 3 is now a much larger application than it was previously(this per the tech guys at Sibelius) and they've also had problems specific to OSX/Kontakt Silver. I took this as a major hint and reinstalled without it, and things worked much better. It meant giving up use of the Silver sounds but that was of little consequence in the scheme of things. I'm not sure that simply turning the player off within Sibelius will do the trick, but it might be worth a try.

2) Have you updated Sibelius to version 3.1.3?

I think you have to do this stepwise from 3 to 3.1.1 to 3.1.3 - you can't just jump to the latest update. Sibelius has posted the process fairly clearly.

3) What version of OSX are you running?

Updating OSX seems to be an important factor - I can't speak to the reasons for this but it seems they're constantly doing fixes and improving things. I went ahead and did this at the urging of one of the pros and at any rate it can't hurt. I think it has to be at least version 10.2.8(?) but the newer the better.

Also at the time you posted that first thread I wondered whether 1.5 gigs was enough ram. I'm helping a friend with a system identical to yours and he also has 1.5 gigs which I suspect will have to be upgraded to 2 gigs. He should be up and running soon and I'll try to post his results so we can compare notes.

I'm not convinced that pc vs mac performance should be that much different. The one pc I saw running a really huge orchestration on had faster GHz and more ram than any machine I've ever been in the presence of.

One thing I had thought of but hadn't yet tried would be to turn off 'follow score during playback' - but this was only an idea and I haven't put it to the test.

Good luck to you and hope this helps.

PS - As I said I'm helping someone get an identical system up and going and it's for a major project with a looming deadline, so if any of these fixes does make a difference it would be great to know about it.

Hi guys

thanks for all your replys i really appreciate it. After reading all your advice i updated OSX, turned off C7 and C11 in GPO, made sure i had the lastest version of Sibelius 3 (i have version 3.1.3 build 19) and turned of the follow score function in Sibelius and..................its still distorting. I have now run out of ideas of what to do and what to try. I have played each instrument seperately in the score, each section seperately and combinations of each section i.e. all woodwind with brass, brass and strings, strings and woodwind etc to see if its just one instrument thats causing the problem but alas nothing. What else can i do? Gary help me dude....................................

You need to reload the instruments after turning off CC7/CC10 option. The player remembers the way they were when loaded. So you are probably still getting CC7 being active causing the distortion. Verify that CC7/CC10 is still off then remove and then reload each instrument. This is a buggy thing that Kontakt does that has drove me crazy in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballseye
    Hi guys

thanks for all your replys i really appreciate it. After reading all your advice i updated OSX, turned off C7 and C11 in GPO, made sure i had the lastest version of Sibelius 3 (i have version 3.1.3 build 19) and turned of the follow score function in Sibelius and..................its still distorting. I have now run out of ideas of what to do and what to try. I have played each instrument seperately in the score, each section seperately and combinations of each section i.e. all woodwind with brass, brass and strings, strings and woodwind etc to see if its just one instrument thats causing the problem but alas nothing. What else can i do? Gary help me dude....................................
    Do you still have Kontakt Silver installed with Sibelius?

This would be valuable info for anyone setting up Sibelius/GPO on a Mac. I'm pretty confident that if I reinstall Kontakt Silver into the mix on my own computer that I'll get the same terrible results I had before I took it out of the equation, though it might not be the case for you since your computer has a faster CPU(2 GHz dual) than mine(1.8 GHz single) but who knows.

At any rate it sounds like you're just running up against the limits of what 1.5 gigs of ram can handle. I was initially doing this on a 1GHz machine w 1GIG RAM and was only able to do small ensemble stuff without distortion.

It seems illustrative of a simple fact about all of this, that trying to run all of this power & memory hungry software requires well...a certain amount of power & memory. And the minimum to play back large orchestrations(at least on a Mac) seems to be right about where you're at with yours.

If I can think of any other things that 'fixed' my system I'll post them on this thread.

Meantime good luck to you and happy holidays

One thing I found interesting when I was working out these problems for myself was that even with all that distressing playback distortion, when I recorded to aiff the sound was clean. I don't know if this is useful info for you. I found it encouraging.

If you've gotten this all ironed out let the world know what did the trick - it may save someone else some of the same agony.

Go Back to forum