• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO Orchestration Competition Update

Share/Bookmark

GPO Orchestration Competition Update

The GPO Orchestration Competition entries are in the hands of the judges. We received nearly 200 entries in total.

All of the entries were compiled and the applications were checked for completeness and to see if the requirements were met. Next they were all assigned a number so that the juges would not know the name or the composer or title. The judging is totally blind.

The judges all tell me that there are so many excellent entries. As one writes " Its humbling. There are a lot of very talented people out there."

We will be announcing the winner of the competition at NAMM. We will then make arrangements to have the winning entrant have their work properly scored and then performed by a real symphony orchestra. There will be many runner up prizes as well.

Thank you all who participated!

Gary Garitan

Re: GPO Orchestration Competition Update

Thank you, Gary, for all your work and preparation! And many thanks for the multitude of sponsers. The rules for entry were sufficiently liberal to allow for a large number of entries, a good many, I am sure, that demonstrate considerable work and effort.

Looking forward to entering each year, if I can manage.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    We will then make arrangements to have the winning entrant have their work properly scored
    Hmmm... I wonder if that means... that the winning entry... wasn't properly scored... Heeeey, that could be mine!

Just glad to have the opportunity to participate and I look forward to congratulating all of the winners, and maybe winning a spatula with the GPO logo on it for myself.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Smile Re: GPO Orchestration Competition Update

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    Hmmm... I wonder if that means... that the winning entry... wasn't properly scored... Heeeey, that could be mine!

Just glad to have the opportunity to participate and I look forward to congratulating all of the winners, and maybe winning a spatula with the GPO logo on it for myself.
    Shazbot, it just means that if it isn't perfectly scored - meaning beautiful and engraved correctly - then it needs to be fixed. Also there's creations of parts for every player etc.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Talking

All I have to say is you guys are dang lucky I pulled my piece out of the competition when I did or you would all be looking at the worlds greatest new decomposer!
    Actually, it gives me great pride and pleasure to offer my assistance in helping anyone who wishes to learn how Beethoven did it when he entered his first orchestral piece to the Queen. Unfortunately I lost that manuscript.

Good Ruck airyone!
    Styxx

Talking Re: GPO Orchestration Competition Update

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    All I have to say is you guys are dang lucky I pulled my piece out of the competition when I did or you would all be looking at the worlds greatest new decomposer!
    Actually, it gives me great pride and pleasure to offer my assistance in helping anyone who wishes to learn how Beethoven did it when he entered his first orchestral piece to the Queen. Unfortunately I lost that manuscript.

Good Ruck airyone!
    Yea, that's true Styxx - If you had enter some of your pieces then I would not had a change of winning this thing. Don't think I have one now because there are so many talented people out there.

Well, I'll blow the next competition away with a complete symphony.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Well, I'll blow the next competition away with a complete symphony.
    You'll get no symphony out of me buddy!
    Styxx

Exclamation Re: GPO Orchestration Competition Update

Unless, I'm mistaken, the rules specified that a score was to be provided within some reasonable amount of time after the winner is declared. I also recall seeing "assistance may be available for this task" (or some such helpful language).

my $0.02 (of clarification, hopefully) ... KevinKauai

Go Back to forum